Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-15-2021, 11:13 PM   #1
Marotrent

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS
Upgrading Boston acoustic 6x9s... need HELP

Hey guys I have a 2011 SS with the Boston acoustic system and I’m trying to replace the 6x9s in the rear with Pioneer 6x9s. Currently I have the pod speakers out and I don’t know how to correctly place the new ones in. The old speakers have a 4 way plug and the new Pioneer speakers on have the positive and negative hook up. How can I make this work? Thanks in advance.
Marotrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Check this out. I ended up doing something similar to this video.

https://youtu.be/nzGMdr6SH-E
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
lvlender

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
If you do not intend to replace the factory amplifier (which is wired only to power bi-amp design speakers) You cannot use those Pioneer speakers or, for that matter, 90% of the speakers on the market. You must do an internet search for bi-amp able speakers.

These speakers can be identified by the fact they are at least coaxial speakers and have two sets of speaker terminals. One set of terminals connects to the woofer cone and the other set of terminals connects to the mid-hi tweeter(s) (for a total of 4 wire connections). Any Bi-amp speaker will be excellent as they are usually built to 'competition' grade. Bi-amp able Triaxial speakers are also available.

All aftermarket 6x9 speakers need an adapter to fit into the original rear deck cut-out see the one offered by Car Adapter...

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK067

Last edited by lvlender; 04-24-2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: more detail
lvlender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #4
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
He can use the pioneer speakers, but NON coaxial. Run the one set of wired for
the 6x9 cone. Then install a separate tweeter for the other set of wires.

This is basically how Bi-Amping works with a single channel:

So, you hook the separate speakers up the SAME way.

AND, it's still wiring in Parallel.

Instead of one pair going to the coaxial speaker, and then paralleling from there,
with the woofer and tweeter, they're paralleled right from the amp instead, then
to each separate speaker.

This Bi-Amping the car uses, is one amplifier for the low frequencies and a second
amplifier output for middle and high frequencies. So, you can still wire the separate
speakers to the appropriate pair.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote