Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
OregonToFlorida

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT v6 RS Auto Victory
Ohh the horror!!
OregonToFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012CamaroV6 View Post
Well Camaro Fans, the knocking V6 is back in the driveway and my complaining got me a new crank, rod, and piston... which is better than just changing the bearings and oil pump. Still I am worried that I got half a repair and the other head and cam bearings might have chips in them plus the timing chain tensioner since the motor didnt get a full tear down. For now, the motor is quiet again and runs fine. Dealer tried to do me a favor and wax the car and it looks good except for the door edge where they actually managed to burn thru the paint and into the primer (unbelievable) and the tiny ding in the body work. I just cant win on this one. I am going to see how badly I get burned if I trade it in on a 2013. Its the wife's daily driver, so it is her final decision, but I feel cheated on the repair method. I still say that if not a replacement motor, it should have been a full teardown, but that is just whining now as the deal is done. Just bad luck and bad customer service. Still, it is a pretty car.
Somewhat classic unfortunately. I got my cars back a few times with DPD (Dealer Provided Damage).

Did you keep it?
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #31
jaf2424

Drives: 2012 Arctic White Camaro 1LS
hey i just want to say you are not alone my lfx started knocking last night...sad really 21,000 mile and a year old its going to the stealer tomorrow lets see what they can do for me
jaf2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #32
btf331

Drives: new:2014 BLK 2SS/RS, NPP, Short Thr
Send a message via AIM to btf331 Send a message via Skype™ to btf331
Unhappy :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I am sorry to hear these concerns you are still experiencing. The best thing to do is to have it addressed again at the dealership. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Iam having a similar problem on my 2010 2lt/rs.. Some history on the car had the car since new... Engine was replaced when I was down in school at towson university in md, Brought it in dealership handled it and had the engine replaced due to a spun bearing... Fast forward 44,000 miles.... Have a problem with oil consumption (burning oil). The car currently has a lil over 58,000 miles, at around 54,000 had brought the car in for a oil change stated that the car was burning oil... Dealership (Paul Conte) told me that they will make a note and told me to come back after 2,000 miles so they can check the oil level. I came back at 2000 miles since last oil change dip stick wasn't even registering oil, they took the car to the back and brought it back and said they had toped it off... since that i have had to add 4 quarts of oil since they topped it off at around 56,000 miles. Was going to bring in for a oil change the weekend i Heard a knock the sound sounded familiar from around 14000 miles, I immediately shut down the car and had it sent to the dealership using my roadside assistance. Car got the go ahead from chevy to break down the motor to diagnose problem heard back from dealership today that chevy has gave the go ahead to replace 2 hammered rods and 1 spun bearing... Needless to say I think I'm going to trade in after this car is fixed.

Brandon Friedman
Attached Images

btf331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #33
apfarr62

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro
Add another one to the list!....I have the same issue! Back in February with 26000 miles, my 2012 v6 spun a bearing. Off to the dealer it went. First thing they asked for was maintenance records. Sure not a problem. It was an INSTANT fight with them as I had preformed all of the preventative maintenance myself and not through the dealer. Every oil change had been documented, and receipts were provided for each change and that seemed to be enough at the time. Two weeks passed with no communication from the dealer. I finally got a hold of them (after being sent from person to person to voice mail and ect.) and asked what the deal was. They had not even looked at the car yet and that it was going to cost me out of pocket for them to drop the pan and poke around since they weren't sure if the warranty was going to cover it, as they suspected the maintenance was not done properly. I may be a chick, but I know how and when to change the oil. I called GM, talked to a rep and was given the run around as they said they would contact the dealer and then in turn the dealer would contact me. Yeah, that never happened. So another two weeks go by and i call the dealer again and they said that I was going to be responsible for the cost of dropping the oil pan if they find any signs of negligent maintenance. So of course they did. They called me a few days later and said that I had run the car low on oil and starved bearing 6 for oil. BS!... I took great care of the car. Checked the oil frequently and it was never low, not once. She was my daily and I drove her like i was 90 years old. They didn't care and didn't want to hear it. I contacted GM again, and was basically told the repairs were at the discretion of the dealer. So back to the dealer I go. Nothing mattered. They said that i would need to replace the motor at my expense, since I "ran it low on oil"...This went on from feb. until a few days ago. Back and forth, being given the run around from both GM and the dealer. Needless to say, I know im not at fault. Im not a dumb broad that has to take her car to the shop to get air in her tires. We picked up the car in pieces on Saturday only to find that there are scuffs, scratches and dents ALL OVER the car, and they seem to have "forgotten" to return some of the pieces they took off. I thought my dealings with the dealer from hell was over but I was wrong. Locally I know of one other 5th gen this has happened to. So since buying a brand new Camaro for the piece of mind from the warranty was an epic fail, we will be rebuilding her, with some decent upgrades since the warranty is pretty much null and void. Sorry this has happened to you guys, I know its a pain.
apfarr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #34
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012CamaroV6 View Post
Well Camaro Fans, the knocking V6 is back in the driveway and my complaining got me a new crank, rod, and piston... which is better than just changing the bearings and oil pump. Still I am worried that I got half a repair and the other head and cam bearings might have chips in them plus the timing chain tensioner since the motor didnt get a full tear down. For now, the motor is quiet again and runs fine. Dealer tried to do me a favor and wax the car and it looks good except for the door edge where they actually managed to burn thru the paint and into the primer (unbelievable) and the tiny ding in the body work. I just cant win on this one. I am going to see how badly I get burned if I trade it in on a 2013. Its the wife's daily driver, so it is her final decision, but I feel cheated on the repair method. I still say that if not a replacement motor, it should have been a full teardown, but that is just whining now as the deal is done. Just bad luck and bad customer service. Still, it is a pretty car.
2013CamaroV6,

Your Camaro looks super pretty in red!! Mines in dark gray and so far can't really complain about my 2013 motor yet but so far with barely 9K on the odometer no issues yet. Currently using Mobil 1 oil
that the dealership put in for me. Good luck and for now just injoy your ride

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #35
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Interesting thread. Doesn't seem to be a major common problem, but a couple around. Back in Feb my car died pulling into my plan. Eventually fired up but major knocking, really terrible idle. Towed to dealer and determined had spun bearings, something in the high 20's mileage. They repaired and it seemed fine (after accusing me of "probably getting it stuck in the snow. Thats what does it, people get stuck in the snow and over-rev". Ok. Sure).

Now I'm at 32k, miles. Tuesday I noticed knocking, took my son to daycare and went straight to dealer. They said I was a little low on oil and that was causing knocking. I was due for a change so got a box of full syn and changed it. Test drove and seemed ok. The next morning I was stuck on the side of the road after horrible idle, metal on metal sounds...not good. Very similar to what I heard in Feb. Now theres a big ol Dodge Ram rental in the driveway while I wait to hear back...
Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #36
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
Interesting thread. Doesn't seem to be a major common problem, but a couple around. Back in Feb my car died pulling into my plan. Eventually fired up but major knocking, really terrible idle. Towed to dealer and determined had spun bearings, something in the high 20's mileage. They repaired and it seemed fine (after accusing me of "probably getting it stuck in the snow. Thats what does it, people get stuck in the snow and over-rev". Ok. Sure).

Now I'm at 32k, miles. Tuesday I noticed knocking, took my son to daycare and went straight to dealer. They said I was a little low on oil and that was causing knocking. I was due for a change so got a box of full syn and changed it. Test drove and seemed ok. The next morning I was stuck on the side of the road after horrible idle, metal on metal sounds...not good. Very similar to what I heard in Feb. Now theres a big ol Dodge Ram rental in the driveway while I wait to hear back...
scuba26,

My apologies regarding your engine knock and to hear that you got stuck alongside the road. Although I understand the displeasure this would cause, it's great that you've proactively reached out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Keep us in the loop and updated on your service visit. If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if you have additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #37
scuba264

Hey William R. ...
you following this thread? Things are going wonderfully :-/ [Sarcasm]
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394903

Last edited by scuba264; 02-06-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: clarifying sarcasm because my dealership is the worst
scuba264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #38
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Glad you got your baby back. Hope all is well from here out. Keep us posted.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #39
scuba264

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Glad you got your baby back. Hope all is well from here out. Keep us posted.
Seems you didn't read the post haha. I'm going on 2 months without it!!!! This is the worst experience I've ever had. Even calling GM's customer relations line. They don't do anything! I almost felt bad, figured calling GM they'd have some "oh no, we cannot have a dealership representing us so poorly! I'm so sorry, we'll get this fixed right away".

None of that at all. Just this script-y crap repeated over and over. "Well we defer to the dealership at the technical experts..." When your "experts" are not fulfilling their duties like they should then you need to intervene.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #40
flyby191

Drives: 2014 V-6 RS Camaro
I've had a similar situation with my 2014 RS V-6. The knock began at 4500k along with an occasional rough idle. Car only knocks when the engine is warm. GM complaint on file and after 6 trips to two different dealer's which included a top engine cleaning, the knock came right back. Car now has 19.5k miles, still knocks when warm. The knock has been verified by numerous tech's and the service manager, but no solution in sight. I'm tired of the B.S. and lack of resolution and direction from the Dealer and GM. I will not settle for a half ass bandage approach which prolongs the inevitable likelihood that this engine will or has developed a serious problem. And no GM it's not a bad batch of gas, or me with a heavy accelerator foot, this engine is sick...find the problem, check the ENTIRE engine or swap one out for a new engine.
flyby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 AM   #41
orangecrush2013

Drives: 2013- 2LT- Inferno Orange
I've had a long time saying that every time the car goes to the dealer it comes slightly worse than it was. That's because nobody treats a car like we do. To them it's just another job....shame!
orangecrush2013 is offline   Reply With Quote