Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
RPS twin for blown LS3?

I am on the fence and getting mixed feedback for the next clutch and would like to hear what clutches are working well on PD blowers and the immediate torque at my power level. I put the LS9X Katech in when I was 660-725whp, which did fine, but not anymore. I am now 850whp/750tq. A few more minor tweaks may get me to 900whp/800tq, but not beyond that (with this build).

At a previous FBody Gathering, we cruised to see Ron at Vengeance and they swear by the RPS twins up to 900whp--and they do well at the half mile events we go to. The local speed shop agrees RPS twins are bulletproof, but believe MANTIC 9000 twin is more streetable.

Is there an issue with RPS Twin Carbon clutches where they slip during daily driving when the carbon isn't hot?
Can the MANTIC 9000 take the power consistently?
I run 1/4 tracks and the 1/2 tracks with Wanna Go Fast; and drive most days of the week too.
Both work great in the 'Vettes, but how about for our heavier Camaros? Thanks.....
Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
I have been using the Centerforce Dyad twin for years now with no issues other than it is a bit noisy at a traffic light so I put it in neutral just because it bugs me. This clutch will definitely take the power.

BTW, thanks for serving! I tip my hat to you!
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
I would check Monster twins or even triples. I have had zero issue with my lt1 twin and it drives better than the stock LS3/LS7 in my opinion.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Triple Carbon Slayer will handle the high torque/power of a PD

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Triple carbon RPS here. NO complaints and pedal feels stockish. I have not noticed slipping anywhere.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
I have the twin carbon RPS. It's an awesome clutch. I'm not at your power level yet but I'll be there soon.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Gents, thanks for the feedback!
Anyone out there have any MANTIC 9000 feedback?
Old 08-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
I have been using the Centerforce Dyad twin for years now with no issues other than it is a bit noisy at a traffic light so I put it in neutral just because it bugs me. This clutch will definitely take the power.

BTW, thanks for serving! I tip my hat to you!
Thanks brother!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Marine View Post
Gents, thanks for the feedback!
Anyone out there have any MANTIC 9000 feedback?
Chatter and not so good pedal feel is what I've heard. But you know hearing ain't always believing.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 08-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
Mcleod RXT in mine. Over 1000HP. they are a good value, work well and are cheap to rebuild.
2015 Camaro SS, LS3 Stroker, PRC heads,CUSTOM CAM. AGP 68/68 with custom Hot and Cold side. Fore triple pumps, Holley terminator X. BMR drag suspension with carlyle brake kit. 15" ET drags and 17" skinnies. ZL1 3.73 gears , aluminum driveshaft. TH400 with circle D converter.
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillshooter View Post
Mcleod RXT in mine. Over 1000HP. they are a good value, work well and are cheap to rebuild.
Also have a RXT. 800rwhp feels close to stock.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
EV1L SS

Drives: 2010 ss , cam, magnacharger , etc
I just called monster yesterday and they recommended the triple lts5. They said the street manners and longevity are awesome and it will hold a shit ton of power . No doubt the triple rps is awesome but it is also over 1k more than the monster.... I currently have the slp zl1 twin which was acting up at the track and its a new clutch...I had the McCloud rxt in a c5 Frc making 1007rwhp and held up to highway pulls fine but never dragged the car.
EV1L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #13
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha x detailing View Post
I just called monster yesterday and they recommended the triple lts5.
Ok, I haven't owned my Monster LT1-S Triple for its life cycle. So far, it has NEVER chattered and has held the power. I hesitated recommending it as I've had it for just over a year. I've punished the crap out of it at the strip, but haven't used it in the mile yet. At the strip, I ride it like a rented mule out of the hole and it smells like a roasted clutch. If I released too fast I'd smoke the tires so no side-stepping the clutch - it would be a moderate release. . It's never failed to perform. After a hard day of use at the track, like 18 runs, the pedal feel is different, meaning, I think I've taken some life out of it and the engagement is in a slightly different point. It's like relearning a replaced clutch. However, it will be consistent at that new point until the next abusive track day. Steve says it's self adjusting so that must be it. It's not severe but worthy noting. I've also owned the Triple Carbon Slayer. One hellava race clutch but it did chatter from time to time, was grabby and worse, the rebuild cost kick my ass. Rebuild cost is claimed to be about a quarter for the Monster, we'll see.

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 08-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
EV1L SS

Drives: 2010 ss , cam, magnacharger , etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Ok, I haven't owned my Monster LT1-S Triple for its life cycle. So far, it has NEVER chattered and has held the power. I hesitated recommending it as I've had it for just over a year. I've punished the crap out of it at the strip, but haven't used it in the mile yet. At the strip, I ride it like a rented mule out of the hole and it smells like a roasted clutch. If I released too fast I'd smoke the tires so no side-stepping the clutch - it would be a moderate release. . It's never failed to perform. After a hard day of use at the track, like 18 runs, the pedal feel is different, meaning, I think I've taken some life out of it and the engagement is in a slightly different point. It's like relearning a replaced clutch. However, it will be consistent at that new point until the next abusive track day. Steve says it's self adjusting so that must be it. It's not severe but worthy noting. I've also owned the Triple Carbon Slayer. One hellava race clutch but it did chatter from time to time, was grabby and worse, the rebuild cost kick my ass. Rebuild cost is claimed to be about a quarter for the Monster, we'll see.
So that pretty much sounds like monster is the way to go, especially if it's mostly street driving and hit the track 5-10 times a year 2-4 passes at a time . Correct ?
EV1L SS is offline   Reply With Quote