Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Software developer jobs in car industry?

I'm a developer professionally, worked with C, C++. Focus now is mainly on C# asp.net development.

I'm at a spot in my career where I feel like I really know what I'm doing and would love to work in a field where I actually have a lot of interest.

Does anyone do computer work? Just wondering what is even out there in the car world. Trying to get a basic feel for what language/how ECMs are programmed, new touch interfaces. Obviously they all have websites, ordering, tracking... manufacturing stuff could be interesting but I also live in the Pittsburgh area and can't be relocating my family for something like that. Then theres the whole tuning industry.

Maybe a pipe dream, but really feeling I've got a good grip on HOW to do what I do for a living, love to find my spot that I really love.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The auto industry can't find enough programmers. On top of the ECU's & web work that you mentioned, there's the infotainment system, autonomous driving, logic for the different driving modes many cars have (wet, eco, sport, track, etc), and in car 'apps' are just beginning to trickle in. I'm sure there are a few programming areas that I'm missing.

Its my understanding that many of the jobs are done in house by the major automakers, though a lot of it is done by suppliers and/or done in a partnership type setup (ie, Microsoft & Ford developing Sync). I don't think there is too much (relative to the OEM's) in the aftermarket for programmers (tuning & some electronic gadetry come to mind), though that is probably going to change as in car apps become a thing.

Not sure what language(s) is (are) used, but if you are well versed in the C family of languages, I imagine that you'll be fine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Spend some time learning the popular tuning applications and how to properly apply them, then start your own business. .
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
GM has a huge IT hiring initiative in Arizona, check out the career website.