Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Afraid to make the decision

I have a 2013 Camaro SS L99 with Kooks headers and Kooks 3" exhaust with X pipe, K%N CAI and tuned by a SLP authorized tuner. Puts down a respectable 371 HP & 389 LB TQ. The same tuner has a TVS2300 supercharger calling my name. I'll just admit it, I'm nervous about supercharging my car. I'm nervous about longevity and just jacking up my motor. You read on here and elsewhere about blown engines as well as how great supercharging is. Plus I think about how the stock tires won't be able to hook worth a darn and will need to upgrade there too. Just makes my head hurt trying to make a decision and wondering if it's worth the cost for what, a .5 to .8 second 1/4 mile increase? Anyways, I'm just venting. I guess I just need to think on it more.
Dan2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Don't do it - not for the faint of heart.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I just installed the ADM LSA version (did heads and cam too). I did do the work myself in a 2 car garage on jackstands so you can do it (if you are doing the work).

I have an '11 L99 A6 (40k miles) and I do love it. When done right, it will last. There are post on the forum where folks have > 100k on their boosted engines.

I can say, the performance is addicting ;o). As the saying goes 'pay to play'. How comfortable are you if things go awry? It will boil down to your 'tolerance' of things happening. If you want less worry, then don't. If you can live with the possibility of having to deal with hick-ups, then you'll be prepared.

I did the work myself so if anything happens, I'll know what to do -- but, I am willing to pay to play -- and that is the crux of the bottom line...

Good luck and if you want to see what was involved with my build, check it out. I did a lot more that just the SC, but you'll get an idea of the fun I had doing it...:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385577

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
It all depends on what you want to do with your car. If it's just going to be a street car, supercharging it won't hurt it. Mine is just a street car with the mods listed below. It's got power when I want it, drives like a daily driver and gets 24 mpg on a trip. I now have 45K miles on the car and 30K miles on the supercharger. I love the way it drives.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
If I were to do it again I would keep it stock. Love my s/c setup but took a lot of money to get here and I'm still trying different exhausts to find the right note. Keep your sanity and don't do it.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Thanks for the replies. It's a daily driver for now and the plan is to keep it in the family for years and years to come. I'm looking at building a stable of cars over time. I am contemplating buying a C7 down the road and I may just save the money I would spend on supercharging for another car. I would then have two bad ass cars.

RCfiddy1 - I find it interesting if you were to do it again why you wouldn't?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
If you are comfortable doing your own work or have a reputable shop you can rely on, then Supercharging isn't bad at all. I've done three S/C kit installs myself, 96 Miata (FastForward), 03 Marauder(TrilogyMotorsports), 10 Challenger R/T(Magnuson). The driveability on all three was just fine, the Marauder was the best kit of them all. What I see for a downside is if you have issues, it tends to take a more specialized shop to diagnose the problem.

FWIW I'm going with AGP's Twin Turbo on the SS.
I think I see a trend here....
4510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2013 View Post
RCfiddy1 - I find it interesting if you were to do it again why you wouldn't?
I think what he is getting at is once you make the change you will wind up having to spend more $$ to get car to exactly the way you want it. And in some respect you might miss having a turn key stock or mildly modified car that you can just drive and enjoy without having to worry about much. Or take to the dealer without a hassle, Or have a car that most places will work on if you don't DIY everything.

If I were going to put a PD bower on an SS I would definitly buy a ZL1 before doing that and enjoy the greater residual value and Mag Ride.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
I would not hesitate on a procharger otherwise I said no. Infact I was done with the other fi's out there I have not had edelbrock
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
These cars are a TON more fun supercharged. There are also thousands upon thousands of supercharged cars out there with zero issues compared to the very few that do have problems. If you just do a basic 2300 install you will have zero issues with longevity and love your car that much more doing it
Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #11
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
These cars are a TON more fun supercharged. There are also thousands upon thousands of supercharged cars out there with zero issues compared to the very few that do have problems. If you just do a basic 2300 install you will have zero issues with longevity and love your car that much more doing it
Thanks for the positive encouragement. I am battling the flu right now so I am spending more time than usual thinking about this.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
Rumbumbees$ponsor

Drives: Autobot
Its really hard to mess up a LS3 with that small of blower! I drove 62K with 7 psi and 500 RwHP for 3 years. Now went to 12 psi
Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #13
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbumbees$ponsor View Post
Its really hard to mess up a LS3 with that small of blower! I drove 62K with 7 psi and 500 RwHP for 3 years. Now went to 12 psi
That's what my tuner keeps saying and he is a GM authorized tuner. Apparently I am being overly cautious. I think it's time to supercharge!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
Rumbumbees$ponsor

Drives: Autobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2013 View Post
That's what my tuner keeps saying and he is a GM authorized tuner. Apparently I am being overly cautious. I think it's time to supercharge!
COREECT!

The tune is where its at! The rods and pistons will be the weak link. If ya really nervous do the small insurance things.. like better chain and oil pump especially if ya do a cam.

If I did it again I would either do a LS9 cam or the night furry cam. NOT a TSP, BTR or GT9.. I want the chop or none at all not the in between.. I want to sound badder or none at all.. Most blower cams don't have the chop. And even though mine is a stage 3 it sounds just all right! The power is good though.

Going through the decisions I would do 2 things different..

1. By a kit w no injectors or upgraded ( this way you can chose your own size and not through away injectors where a pulley swap will make them useless..

2. Not a ZL1 pump get the Lingenfelter or livernoise good for 800RWHP.. another mod that needs to be done just once unless you get crazy!

Basically your gonna love the power and get used to it... your then going to say I want more power your shop will say more boost!.. then they will say pump injectors and tune.. thus wasting about 900.00 good on parts that will be shortly out lived! So do it once..

I had the same idea I'm never gonna want more power this will be plenty... BullCRAP.. In what world do we live in!