Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 06-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I live with the dust. Lots of discussion about the reduced effectiveness when not using the factory pads on the ZL1 just to eliminate dust. JusticePete had a great response on why we should live with the dust. With that said, I completely understand why the dust is a pain. I'm constantly cleaning mine...

-Don
Agree, stopping is more important to me.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
I don't know if this is helpful or not .... the past couple of months I have used nothing but a waterless wash to clean my car. So zero water is getting on my pads or rotors. One of the unexpected side effects that I have noticed is the brake dust is easily a third of what it used to be.

Before I couldn't make it to the mailbox without needing to clean the wheels. I can now drive to the local get together and not have to worry about cleaning the wheels. Also the dust that does accumulate now seems to wipe away much easier.

So it appears, to me anyway, that water on the brake pads makes the situation worse. So you might try directing as little water as possible to the inner wheel area. Again nothing scientific just what I have noticed.
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
I want my car to turn heads when I am on the street. The brake dust really detracts from the appearance. I have fielded a lot of questions about my car but nobody ever asked me the stopping distance from 60 mph. Switched to the Hawk ceramic "yellow" pads 2 days ago. Wow. The no brake dust look goes well with the powder coat that replaced the miserable factory paint. Car stops like on Velcro with 0 issues so far. I know there are better pads for the track but am on the street 99.9% of the time with a few passes at the strip. I would like to see a comparison of this pad versus stock for a single stop from 60 or 100 MPH. There may be some difference but I can't detect it.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #18
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
Stopping power > clean wheels.
Just wash the wheels when you wash the car.
If you have a compressor, you can also blow them off with air after a drive.
Somewhat effective.
Sonax works great on the brake dust, though not the oily grime.
Wheel treatments will probably be removed by wheel cleaner.