Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #15
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
GPI for me. Ryan and Andrew have always went above and beyond, kind of an old style customer service you don't find much anymore. The whole team there really knows these platforms. I've only ever had a remote tune and Ryan was more than glad to dial it in and tweek it until I was happy and running low 11's. Always sent me a new one within a couple hours of sending him some log files. Couldn't be happier!
Old 01-20-2022, 02:34 AM   #16
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrz187 View Post
the shop i used has their own custom grind through TSP and they dyno/tune on the spot. i always recommend a tune and dyno. i know the remote tunes are good but i feel more comfortable with a tuner and going over specifics. just my two cents
^^^+1
I got my SS1 Cam from GPI and had it remote tuned by Ryan. It was a pretty painless process. But by the time you get everything from GPI for the remote tune you could have spent less on a dyno tune, at least where I got mine from anyways. I just enjoy the process of a dyno tune over a remote tune because the tuner can jump in the car with you and drive down the road with you.

Another thing is the amount of torque you get from a TSP cam is phenomenal from what I've seen. The only thing about TSP is the staff is hard to get on the phone sometimes but when you do they will take care of you. We're building my son's C5 ls1 right now with one of their cams and it took about a week for the cam kit to come in.

I would say for customer service GPI. For peak power then TSP.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:13 PM   #17
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Im running GPI but TSP has some good products also!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:08 PM   #18
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Thank you guys for all the input! From the sound of things it doesn't look like I can go wrong with any of these companies! I work on stock vehicles at a dealership for a living. Performance modifications really aren't my forte. I really appreciate advice from people who have been there done that. I have a couple questions, not sure if you guys can answer.
1. I'd like to use my stock lifters with my cam swap. Engine only has 40k on it, and I'd rather not pull the heads if I don't have to. Also I'd like to use the hardened camshaft core....is this compatible with my stock roller lifters?
2. Considering my heads are not milled nor is the block deck should I be o.k. with standard length push rods?

Thanks
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #19
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Most people will probably say replace the lifters because it's cheap insurance. If you decide to do the lifters it's not that really of a big deal, I'm sure you know that. I would go with the gm performance racing lifters and not the regular performance versions, just because there has been a consensus that the regular ls7 lifters are a little scary with the higher spring pressure and lift. If you go with either company they will let you know what pushrods you need.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #20
RS/SS '10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I agree with MPJ, replace the lifters with the cam install. The GM lifters that I have read a lot of conversations about are called "Caddy" lifters. Best advise that I received when putting my build together was do your research. Having said that, I am not a mechanic, but I do believe reading is fundamental. And comprehension is vital. The discount you receive as a dealership employee is something I would take full advantage of. I think I am safe saying that after you change lifters and cam you will need new pushrods. Once you get to the point of having most everything finished, measure and see what length pushrods you will need. You are correct about 40K not being a ton of miles, but I replaced mine at 20K. As far as GPI, TSP, and BTR the first two certainly have their share of fanboys on this site. I talked with both and ended up not buying from either. BTR makes some really good looking pieces, but they seem to really like their pieces. I bought everything for my build from Tick Performance in Mt. Airy, NC, talk to Dustin. Hope you have much success.
RS/SS '10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #21
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
If you’re doing the cam, junk the crap GM valve train. As stated it’s cheap insurance.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:20 PM   #22
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Your probably best suited to answer your own question. What kind and how often do you see stock lifter failure LS3 or L99
Old 01-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #23
NOT A 45

Thanks again guys.....I can fix just about anything you guys have going on but when it comes to mods, I’m a novice. As rs/as said I get a great discount on parts and I do the labor.....guess I need to stop being lazy and just do it the right way!
Old 01-20-2022, 06:23 PM   #24
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
Your probably best suited to answer your own question. What kind and how often do you see stock lifter failure LS3 or L99
LS3 never....AFM all the time
Old 01-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #25
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Spend the extra money and labor now for good lifters such as the GM performance/caddy units. I know it’s a little extra coin and work but in the end knowing you’ve got parts that are going to be better suited to the mods you are doing is going to go a long ways for peace of mind. As you likely well know, performance mods act as a total “package” of parts if you will that all compliment each other. Don’t sell your self short in that regard. The caddy lifters are better suited to the higher Rpms and higher lift that a cam swap inherently brings. That’s my honest two cents. Do it right the first time as much as possible.

I’ve also been gathering cam parts and such here and there for a little bit in preparing to cam swap mine as well. Me going all the labor.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:44 PM   #26
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
My vote is for GPI. I have done 5 setups with their parts and remote Tuning on 3 of them with 100% satisfaction. (Tuned the other two myself)
2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI – 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ×2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #27
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
GPI! You wont be disappointed!
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:22 AM   #28
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Thank you guys for all the input! From the sound of things it doesn't look like I can go wrong with any of these companies! I work on stock vehicles at a dealership for a living. Performance modifications really aren't my forte. I really appreciate advice from people who have been there done that. I have a couple questions, not sure if you guys can answer.
1. I'd like to use my stock lifters with my cam swap. Engine only has 40k on it, and I'd rather not pull the heads if I don't have to. Also I'd like to use the hardened camshaft core....is this compatible with my stock roller lifters?
2. Considering my heads are not milled nor is the block deck should I be o.k. with standard length push rods?

Thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to pull the heads on these LS/L99 engines to do a cam swap and replace lifters? As they are under the heads along with the lifter guides? So yea, I would replace the stock ones for some better ones. Here is some great lifter info from the man himself, Ryan at GPI.