Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
$388 Borla axle-back from Amazon

So, I've been looking for an exhaust and Borla was on the short list of ones I like. GM Performance version even at my cost was expensive.
I'm surfing Amazon and it's the same MAP $651 as everywhere else, but they listed new and used from $388. I never bothered to look at those before, but checked it out. They had two listed, they could be used and returned or damaged in shipping. The description really doesn't say- but I figured if it was messed up I'd return it and if someone tried it and didn't like it- I'm ok with that as long as it's in good shape.
Rolled the dice- it was a brand new set, original packaging (even though they said it wouldn't be) and had the original paperwork and free hat in the box. Not a single sign of any handling- not a scratch. Installed it today- my only mistake was following the directions. If I had cut closer to the stock mufflers, I could have had the tips farther out which would look better.
It's quieter than stock, but they also take a little time to "cook" the packing in the mufflers.
There's another set listed on Amazon- $388 to your door. Then again, the other set might be in worse shape. Worked for me- maybe it'll work for you.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
So, I've been looking for an exhaust and Borla was on the short list of ones I like. GM Performance version even at my cost was expensive.
I'm surfing Amazon and it's the same MAP $651 as everywhere else, but they listed new and used from $388. I never bothered to look at those before, but checked it out. They had two listed, they could be used and returned or damaged in shipping. The description really doesn't say- but I figured if it was messed up I'd return it and if someone tried it and didn't like it- I'm ok with that as long as it's in good shape.
Rolled the dice- it was a brand new set, original packaging (even though they said it wouldn't be) and had the original paperwork and free hat in the box. Not a single sign of any handling- not a scratch. Installed it today- my only mistake was following the directions. If I had cut closer to the stock mufflers, I could have had the tips farther out which would look better.
It's quieter than stock, but they also take a little time to "cook" the packing in the mufflers.
There's another set listed on Amazon- $388 to your door. Then again, the other set might be in worse shape. Worked for me- maybe it'll work for you.
I sure hope that is a typo.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
VTSummit

No- it's not. it has a deeper tone, but seems quieter on the 200 yard test drive so far.
Maybe it's the lack of stock raspy sound not being there that makes it seem quieter.
Lots of mufflers get louder after being heat cycled... so maybe.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
VTSummit

After the first REAL road test- it's sounding pretty good. It is louder, just without the tinny sound that was making it seem so wimpy.
Happy with my decision. Hopefully someone else on a budget will grab the other set Amazon has so cheap.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Is it the borla atack?
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
Must be Touring ???
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
VTSummit

It's the 11776 model- it's actually sounding good now. The first time I started it, it was quiet- too quiet. After about 75 miles it sounds very deep and mellow. I might do the resonator delete and magnaflow x-pipe resonator. Just don't want to introduce any raspiness
For the money- I'm really happy with it.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
VTSummit

I figured if I took off the resonators, it would keep a similar sound but be more effective than the stock H pipe.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
It won't wake-up until you dump the cats or go Hi flow!
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
VTSummit

It's really just a commuter car for me, so I don't know how much $ I'll dump in it. I might do either a throttle body, intake spacer or both- I don't know, then throw a Trifecta tune on it and call it done. Aside from driving it to work, I don't really use the car much.