Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
12WhiteLS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS M6
"Over the Radiator" Intake

Has anyone seen New Era's OTR (Over the Radiator) intake in the SS forum? Looks like they solved the problem that Vararam couldn't/hasn't. I asked them if they were planning on making a V6 version but they have no plans yet. But man wouldn't that be sweet!?!? http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...d=19&Itemid=54
12WhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
rsv07

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WhiteLS View Post
Has anyone seen New Era's OTR (Over the Radiator) intake in the SS forum? Looks like they solved the problem that Vararam couldn't/hasn't. I asked them if they were planning on making a V6 version but they have no plans yet. But man wouldn't that be sweet!?!? http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...d=19&Itemid=54
No way in hell for that price. Gains couldn't be that much more over the CAI Inc. product. Not worth it.
rsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
12WhiteLS

Yeah..................the price is pretty high. I just wish someone would come out with an intake like this for the LFX. The Vararam is a great performer on LLTs and in the V8 community. I am not conviced by the CAI rhetoric.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Yeah..................the price is pretty high. I just wish someone would come out with an intake like this for the LFX. The Vararam is a great performer on LLTs and in the V8 community. I am not conviced by the CAI rhetoric.
What is not convincing enough for you, if you don't mind my asking? We greatly reduce the restriction and create a smoother path of travel for the intake air. We pull the coolest air available from outside of the car, and then keep it cool in an enclosed and insulated airbox, and we have a thermal coated intake tube to reduce heat soak. Lifetime warranty, 16 rwhp on a stock Camaro shown time and time again on 3rd party dyno testing, no other modifications needed, made in the USA, I guess I'm not understanding what you don't like? Basically our CAI does everything a good CAI should, and you can see the difference when compared to most any other intake out there

If you have any specific questions or concerns I would be happy to try and help. Thanks and take care.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
12WhiteLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
What is not convincing enough for you, if you don't mind my asking? We greatly reduce the restriction and create a smoother path of travel for the intake air. We pull the coolest air available from outside of the car, and then keep it cool in an enclosed and insulated airbox, and we have a thermal coated intake tube to reduce heat soak. Lifetime warranty, 16 rwhp on a stock Camaro shown time and time again on 3rd party dyno testing, no other modifications needed, made in the USA, I guess I'm not understanding what you don't like? Basically our CAI does everything a good CAI should, and you can see the difference when compared to most any other intake out there

If you have any specific questions or concerns I would be happy to try and help. Thanks and take care.
I don't like the fact that you have to interject yourself in a discussion that has NOTHING to do with you. I don't like the fact that you can't just simply sell your products based on their own virtue and let the consumers speak for themselves. I don't like the fact that you and other "vendors" have to HIJACK a forum dedicated to hobbyists who love their Camaros so that you can shove your snake oil down peoples throats.

I'm sorry but I'm not willing to stick a solar oven with a filter under the hood of my car and say it's a performance mod.

http://solarcooking.org/plans/

sweet mod bro
Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
with out a doubt the cai is a great product but personally i would go with the injen long ram, torque is what our cars need. get every last drop of it you can!!
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
IMO it's just splitting hairs. Both very fine products. We offer both CAI and New Era and customers feedback have always been flawless. Whatever fits your budget and taste better, go for it

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm not willing to stick a solar oven with a filter under the hood of my car and say it's a performance mod.

sweet mod bro
Look at the independent testing done by Jannetty.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...ZNVI5aVE&hl=en

Cold Air Inductions is the ONLY intake that had a "0" Temp Climb. This is because they have the best thermal coating available. CAI with scoop also showed the best gains at the wheels over any competitor. Superior fit and finish.

On the other hand, InJen has a Temp Climb of "9" during one dyno because they are not thermal coated and susceptible to heat soak. Likely much higher IAT's after a day of driving. Power gain is short lived. You get what you pay for.

Other vendors can chip in, we have a number of customers on their 2nd or even 3rd intake. Doing it right from the start is well worth it.

Last edited by AutoAgenda; 06-10-2013 at 07:12 PM.
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post

Maybe I can help answer your question. I know you were aiming it towards 12WhiteLS. All I can say is that you may have a good product, I don't know, but for some of us on a budget buying these add-ons if I can save over $100(actually I think I saved closer to $150) by buying another brand, made in the USA even, that does the same thing and gets me just about the same gains(brand I bought claims 15 HP) I am going to do it. JMO!

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
I don't like the fact that you have to interject yourself in a discussion that has NOTHING to do with you. I don't like the fact that you can't just simply sell your products based on their own virtue and let the consumers speak for themselves. I don't like the fact that you and other "vendors" have to HIJACK a forum dedicated to hobbyists who love their Camaros so that you can shove your snake oil down peoples throats.
Wow, Guy. YOU brought them up.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:

sweet mod bro
You asked. He isn't ramming anything anywhere. Every vendor here pushes their product.

That being said, I bought a CAI because I liked it the most and everyone who sees it loves the plexi lid intake design. I don't understand why Vararam didn't make an intake for the V6 that splits around the radiator neck like the V8 model however.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
12WhiteLS

I actually did not bring them up the previous poster did. I just feel like it's impossible to discuss cold air intakes on this forum without CAI interjecting themselves in the discussion. I agree that they have a high quality product but let people decide for themselves.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

sweet mod bro
Really? You call it "CAI rhetoric" and then act defensive when CAI comes into the thread. Great attitude "bro"

Is CAI expensive? Yes... very. It's a quality product, and unfortunately to get a quality product you do have to pay. Welcome to having a 2010+ Camaro where everything is $100-$200 more expensive than it should be. My favorite example -- the backlit LED bowtie by Oracle which costs $140+ because it's for a Camaro... Yet people sell a similar product for the Chevy Cruze for $16... damn thing is a different size, though, and won't work on our car.

Anyway - back on topic -- all I've heard is that Vararam is a cheaply made product. CAI is not. CAI is worth the money.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Brettzel

Drives: #null
Quote:

sweet mod bro
Brettzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
My comments in Red.

Quote:

I don't like the fact that you have to interject yourself in a discussion that has NOTHING to do with you. - You brought them up

I don't like the fact that you can't just simply sell your products based on their own virtue and let the consumers speak for themselves. - Their customers, me included, speak for them all the time. When a consumer says something like you did and a company actually responds in a polite manner to try and answer questions you may have and understand your concerns with their product, I would call that good customer service. They knew you already had another product, they knew you weren't looking to buy their CAI, and they still took the time to try and understand your concerns and provide a response, how many companies do that these days.

I don't like the fact that you and other "vendors" have to HIJACK a forum dedicated to hobbyists who love their Camaros so that you can shove your snake oil down peoples throats. Get a clue Mr. 25 posts, this company was brought here by enthusiasts who wanted them to make a CAI for this vehicle when no one was. They are also HUGE enthusiasts' and have 5th Gens themselves. They sponsor here and help pay for the bandwidth so this forum can be as great at it is. They probably have more blood, sweat and tears into this vehicle platform and forum then you ever will. Snake oil?? Have you ever even looked at all the independent testing done on their products?

http://solarcooking.org/plans/ - MAJOR FAIL, that's like posting up a link for a rubber ducky and saying, well our cars have rubber on them, so they must be the same product and similar for functionality because they have a common material used.

sweet mod bro - It is a sweet mod, thousands of us feel that way.
Your post towards them
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote