Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #169
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I've been reading these "V6 vs. V8" threads for years and have kept my thoughts about this topic to myself as these quickly descend into belittling owners for what they value and or can or cannot afford. Plus, there are MANY C5 members (owners of V6's and V8's, alike) who are just plain mean when sounding off on this topic.

However, unless you're tracking or street racing your 5th Gen. Coupe, you're not "upgrading to an SS" unless you're getting into a convertible (either an LT or an SS).

Driving a 5th Gen. Chevrolet Camaro may be "priceless", but owning a 5th Gen. Chevrolet Camaro Convertible is not just "driving a Camaro". It's a way of life.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #170
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
So why didnt you get a V8?
Because today's V6 has more power than the V8 from previous generations.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #171
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
I've been reading these V6 vs. V8 threads for years and have kept my thoughts about this topic to myself as these quickly descend into belittling owners for what they value and or can or cannot afford. Plus, there are MANY C5 members (owners of V6's and V8's) who are just plain mean when sounding off about this topic.

However, Unless you're tracking or street racing your 5th Gen. coupe, you're not "upgrading" by trading an LS / LT for an SS unless you're getting into a convertible (either an LT or an SS).

Driving a 5th Gen. Chevrolet Camaro Convertible is not just "driving a Camaro" (aka; "priceless"). It's a way of life. That's the bottom line (at least for me).
Your right.....they are the exact same car. And the people that did the "upgrade"then posted about it are just wrong. I really don't know how you could say it's not an upgrade.....

Last edited by rontammy0; 09-22-2016 at 10:03 AM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #172
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
I've been reading these V6 vs. V8 threads for years and have kept my thoughts about this topic to myself as these threads quickly descend into belittling of owners for what they value and or can or cannot afford. Plus, there are MANY C5 members (owners of V6's and V8's) who are just plain mean when sounding off about this topic.

However, Unless you're tracking or street racing your 5th Gen. coupe, you're not "upgrading" by trading an LS / LT for an SS unless you're getting into a convertible (either an LT or an SS).

Driving a 5th Gen. Chevrolet Camaro Convertible is not just "driving a Camaro" (aka; "priceless"). It's a way of life. That's the bottom line (at least for me).
You do not have to be on a race track or be street racing to enjoy improved performance, both handling and horsepower. I am sure your convertible is a lot of fun, no doubt, but understand how disappointed I would be the very first corner I threw it into. It all just depends what you want out of your driving experience. To each his own!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #173
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Your right.....they are the exact same car. And the people that did the "upgrade"then posted about it are just wrong. I really don't know how you could say it's not an upgrade.....
I certainly did not mention or indicate anything in my post as either "right" or "wrong". It must be the inference you derived from what I've expressed.

There are ways to express how one thinks or feels about something (value statements / opinions) without putting others down or elevating one's self above others in a spiteful or hurtful manner (care to go another round?).
3 Pedals

Old 09-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #174
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
I've been reading these "V6 vs. V8" threads for years and have kept my thoughts about this topic to myself as these quickly descend into belittling owners for what they value and or can or cannot afford. Plus, there are MANY C5 members (owners of V6's and V8's, alike) who are just plain mean when sounding off on this topic.

However, unless you're tracking or street racing your 5th Gen. Coupe, you're not "upgrading to an SS" unless you're getting into a convertible (either an LT or an SS).

Driving a 5th Gen. Chevrolet Camaro may be "priceless", but owning a 5th Gen. Chevrolet Camaro Convertible is not just "driving a Camaro". It's a way of life.
Ironic how you can state (in the same sentence) that when someone states they are 'upgrading' from an LT/V6 to an SS/ V8, it's not really upgrading, yet going from a coupe to a convertible is. 'Upgrading' is often based on opinion and personal preferences. For example, I personally prefer a coupe over a convertible and consider going from an LT or SS convertible to an LT or SS coupe a definite upgrade, while others may think the exact opposite. Just like going with an LT or SS, no right or wrong, just a matter of personal choice

Last edited by Welker2; 09-22-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #175
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
I see where this is headed; convertible -vs - coupé. Yep, another twenty pages to amuse me on my commute. Bring it on.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #176
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Ironic how you can state (in the same sentence) that when someone states they are 'upgrading' from an LT/V6 to an SS/ V8, it's not really upgrading, yet going from a coupe to a convertible is. 'Upgrading' is often based on opinion and personal preferences. For example, I personally prefer a coupe over a convertible and consider going from an LT or SS convertible to an LT or SS coupe a definite upgrade, while others may think the exact opposite. No right or wrong, just a matter of personal choice
I merely put the "argument" into a proper perspective. Thank you, however, for validating the absence of "right or "wrong.

"Preference" is most often a primary driver in making a "personal choice". However, not everyone is able to afford their "preference". Those who cannot, should not be denigrated / berated by those who can.
3 Pedals

Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #177
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
The most I've ever gotten with cruise set at pure highway miles for roughly 8 hours was 25.5-26

I can probably get 40 if I turn the engine off going downhill lol
Old 09-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #178
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
The most I've ever gotten with cruise set at pure highway miles for roughly 8 hours was 25.5-26

I can probably get 40 if I turn the engine off going downhill lol
28 or so for me. I could get 8, and still wouldn't trade for a v6.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #179
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
and here we go again.the 6 is plenty of power for me,but if you are actually utilizing your v-8 to its full potential...enjoy.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #180
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

How is it not and upgrade? That is like saying I sold my 2,000 sq/ft ranch home with vinyl siding, particalboard cabinets, cardboard doors, and electric baseboard and bought another 2000sq/ft ranch home built out of stone, with solid cherry cabinets, soild would doors with a geothermal heatpump and they are the same because they are both ranch houses.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #181
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
How is it not and upgrade? That is like saying I sold my 2,000 sq/ft ranch home with vinyl siding, particalboard cabinets, cardboard doors, and electric baseboard and bought another 2000sq/ft ranch home built out of stone, with solid cherry cabinets, soild would doors with a geothermal heatpump and they are the same because they are both ranch houses.
That sounds more like going from a 1LS to a CTS-V.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #182
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
It looks like the pansies are back.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote