Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-07-2018, 12:57 AM   #71
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm hoping they don't let the computer take over from the human on its own in initiative as opposed to active driver decision to delegate that control.

The difference being control as something that the driver can choose to give up as opposed to something that the computer unilaterally takes over.

Norm

MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:50 AM   #72
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
Forced how? They are going to recall all manual driving vehicles? I completely agree with the government's ineptness, but I don't think this is the discussion for it.

This sounds just like all the conversations about the electric car and how the government was going to take away all our fire breathing vehicles.

If the government ever takes away our option to drive our cars it won't be in our lifetimes
Forced how? "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." Back then my parents monthly premium was $420 a month - they liked their doctor. Now #1100 a month for much crappier care... They were forced. If you don't think it can be done with cars - just stand by.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:57 AM   #73
racesloth
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
Just as I replied to another comment, there's no way the government is going to round up all 263.6 million cars in the United States and make us all use automated vehicles.

At least not in our lifetime
They don't have to round them up. Through legislation you just make it cost prohibitive not to move over to the self driving cars. During cash for clunkers they even destroyed the engines so you couldn't get one from the junkyard. A lot of good LS blocks just gone from ground glass in the oil. Don't think politicians won't go to extrodinary lengths to control your behavior.

When I lived in Japan in the 80's, American military there bought cars from the junk yard. I bought a 5 year old turbo Skyline for $450. It still smelled new and had 20K km on it. It was because the laws were written to make it more expensive to own a 6yr old car than to buy new.

2010 IOM SS

Last edited by racesloth; 03-07-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:08 AM   #74
racesloth
Dan

Yeah, over 40 here lived all over the planet and watched how goverments work. To say it won't happen because of the numbers is IMHO, shortsighted. The numbers will make it harder and will take a considerable amount of time. But a politician never tires of writing new laws aimed at controlling your life for "the greater good."

Currently in the UK most cars on the road are diesel powered. There was legilative incentive to buy these cars over decades in the UK to save the planet. Now studies show the the particulates are a large contributing factor to lung related health problems. The UK gov't is now in the process of legislatively phasing out diesels to move back to petrol. Diesel owners are mad as they see the resale value of thier cars plumet. Before the good was the environment. Now the good is reducing asthmatic problems. No appologies for getting it wrong for decades, just more legislation.

I realy don't care about autonomous cars, as a freemarket guy, I believe the market should integrate them as it becomes cost effective in the market. Electric vehicles the same way - they don't need to be subsidized by the taxpayer because it is good for the planet - Chevy still couldn't sell them (not a zero emission vehicle either since the electricity comes from somewhere). The free market is great, man just can't resist messing with it.

/rant off

2010 IOM SS

Last edited by racesloth; 03-07-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #75
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Your post is not showing either a picture or a link on my computer and it wasn't until previewing my reply that I could see what you were getting at. It's still just a blank space even when quoted.

I'm not looking at autonomous driving with any assumption of evil intent playing in the background (even HAL didn't think saving himself was evil, just necessary).

Anyway, considering that there already are cars on the road whose stability control systems can turn themselves back on under certain conditions (such as ABS intervention or during autocross), what's to stop some mfr from carrying that same mindset over to level 4 operation? How "off" is "autonomy off" really going to be? How sensitive/conservative would any thresholds for re-activation be set?

Norm
Old 03-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #76
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
What I think we’re seeing far too much of are the people who are opining that it will be “all one way”. Just like there are too many people writing about the “fact” that the growth of electric vehicles will bring about the death of the internal combustion engine. I can mathematically dispel that anal-cranial point of view in about 5 minutes.
Perhaps the concern is not that it might happen abruptly, but that it might gradually progress to the same point over a much longer period of time. With mfrs abandoning choice where one or more of the alternatives has a very low take rate, this concern is real (if distant).

That I probably won't see that point reached in my lifetime and not care what happens as a consequence isn't the right attitude for me to take - it would basically amount to being selfish, that I'd only be caring about how it would affect me individually, devil take the rest of you.

Norm
Old 03-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #77
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Hovering close to 50 here, I'm not particularly worried about being forced to adapt any time soon. Statistically, electric vehicles make up about 1% of all new vehicle sales in the US, even with the financial perk of owning one.

I wonder if we even have the natural resources needed to have that many EV's on the road in the first place as far as battery power goes.

Convincing the US driver to give up his capacity to navigate on his own will be a far harder sell than switching to electric was. I'm pretty confident that the next car I buy will be similar to what I have now. And if not, I'll just hang onto this and put an LS7 in it.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #78
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Your post is not showing either a picture or a link on my computer and it wasn't until previewing my reply that I could see what you were getting at. It's still just a blank space even when quoted.

I'm not looking at autonomous driving with any assumption of evil intent playing in the background (even HAL didn't think saving himself was evil, just necessary).

Anyway, considering that there already are cars on the road whose stability control systems can turn themselves back on under certain conditions (such as ABS intervention or during autocross), what's to stop some mfr from carrying that same mindset over to level 4 operation? How "off" is "autonomy off" really going to be? How sensitive/conservative would any thresholds for re-activation be set?

Norm
IDK, I can't see embedded videos on this site when using explorer, though I can when using chrome. Only this site though...weird, maybe Camaro5 is forcing me to use chrome?

Any just a bringing a little humor to the thought.

But that is an interesting topic. At what point does the car think you're in trouble and take over?
Should "autonomous driving" be the default mode on the car, or should it be a selection the operator has to make?

Last edited by MrChrisLS3; 03-07-2018 at 10:30 AM.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #79
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Perhaps the concern is not that it might happen abruptly, but that it might gradually progress to the same point over a much longer period of time. With mfrs abandoning choice where one or more of the alternatives has a very low take rate, this concern is real (if distant).

That I probably won't see that point reached in my lifetime and not care what happens as a consequence isn't the right attitude for me to take - it would basically amount to being selfish, that I'd only be caring about how it would affect me individually, devil take the rest of you.

Norm
I understand. The fact that it can’t happen abruptly gives me confidence in the idea that as it gradually evolves, it will also gradually improve, and be subject to the natural forces of supply and demand. This is the path that electric vehicles are taking. As Stormcloak pointed out, electric vehicles are somewhere around 1%, even with incentives. Part of that is because buyers get to choose from butt ugly compacts with short range like Nissan Leaf (my apologies to those that own one that I may have offended) or mega-expensive Tesla Model S and Model X. As more attractive AND affordable vehicles with longer range (Chevy Bolt, Tesla Model 3, a bunch of upcoming VW models) come to market, that 1% is likely to slide up to about 15 - 20%. Those who want one will be able to buy one and they will continue to get better. Those who don’t want one won’t have to buy one. Unless they live in Scandanavia, which is a completely different story.

Same will likely hold true for autonomous. As they become more affordable and with broader options available, those who want will get, those who don’t won’t have to.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #80
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Name:  IMG_8816.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  76.9 KB

Old 03-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #81
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Name:  IMG_8815.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  94.7 KB
Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #82
woyster_13ss

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS
I want NOTHING to do with self-driving cars. The day I can't drive my own car is the day they put me in the ground!
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
woyster_13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #83
2SS/RSD

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 45th Annv. 6M
No thanks!
2SS/RSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #84
MrTwenty6

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Sign me the hell up. Audi has supposed L3 tech in the 2019/2020 A8 for use in traffic. The car will take over driving duty WITHOUT requiring driver attention during traffic conditions (up to 37mph).

Average age of vehicles on the road is 11+ years and will continue to grow older since cars can reliably hit over 150k miles these days. I doubt it'll be a big deal for my generation - it'll be the kids today that grow into these self driving cars that will be "forced" into them.
MrTwenty6 is offline   Reply With Quote