Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #29
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
That looks really good. Nearly OEM, even.

Would you share the dimensions/angles you cut that to for others to replicate?
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #30
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
You guys talking about turning the A/C temp up til it doesn't happen, don't live where it's really hot and humid. To do that here in Houston, I'd have to turn the A/C to abt 85-90 - ain't happening. None of these issues with any of the other 10+ vehicles my wife and I have owned while living here.

On a side note, I had the "fix" done since the had to take the windshield out to replace the faulty headline ... no improvement whatsoever.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #31
chevyboy01438

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
On mine, I have to set the air temp to 74 or higher to keep from frosting up the windshield. I have a 2000 Impala that does the same thing. Looks like this has been an issue for some time now

11/30/17 | Club F1FTY
chevyboy01438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #32
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
You guys talking about turning the A/C temp up til it doesn't happen, don't live where it's really hot and humid. To do that here in Houston, I'd have to turn the A/C to abt 85-90 - ain't happening. None of these issues with any of the other 10+ vehicles my wife and I have owned while living here.

On a side note, I had the "fix" done since the had to take the windshield out to replace the faulty headline ... no improvement whatsoever.
I hear you. I'm in New Orleans. I need cold A/C almost 9 months out of the year. I need defrost MAYBE one morning for 2 minutes.

That's why I put a sticky solution on there. No way it's coming off on track, and I never have to think about it.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #33
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
Quote:

I live around Houston as well but I have found that when the dew point is high the inside temp set to 74ish works just fine, give or take a degree or two. Most days it isn't even an issue. Humidity level has nothing to do with this issue. It is all about the dew point. My Lexus has the same issue as did my Charger and Challanger.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #34
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirad54 View Post
I live around Houston as well but I have found that when the dew point is high the inside temp set to 74ish works just fine, give or take a degree or two. Most days it isn't even an issue. Humidity level has nothing to do with this issue. It is all about the dew point. My Lexus has the same issue as did my Charger and Challanger.
It's partly that, but the natural environmental issues at work here do not present an insurmountable problem, as demonstrated by those who have placed mats over their defroster vents and seen the problem significantly reduced, if not eliminated entirely (bought one myself a couple days ago, and have seen a big improvement).

Compared to some of the other engineering problems involved in designing a modern car, designing vents which seal more thoroughly when not needed should be a fairly easy nut to crack. Especially with the sensors & electronics in modern cars - including programming to note what the outside temperature is vs. what the requested HVAC temperature is (I suspect dewpoint / relative humidity is either already included or can be easily) and then opening or tightly closing the vents as required would be a piece of cake.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #35
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Houston ain't got nuthin' on South Florida.

Quote:
Well when I'm out driving to an alligator wrestling match in the rain with the top up, I don't get fog on the windscreen exterior as long as I keep it set to 75F.

You only have to beat the dew point, and even then you can push it a couple degrees. Right now the temp might be 92F in Houston, but the dew point is 77F (very typical for what we normally get here). So set it to 75F and forget it.

Yes, I agree the HVAC setup in these cars is garbage, so I keep my oversized mouspad in the trunk for just such an occasion.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #36
chevyboy01438

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Just a concern, if you have condensation building up on the windshield (uncovered), wouldn't the condensation just build up on the bottom side of the cover? Water has to run off somewhere and wouldn't that lead to other potential issues down the road?

11/30/17 | Club F1FTY
chevyboy01438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #37
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy01438 View Post
Just a concern, if you have condensation building up on the windshield (uncovered), wouldn't the condensation just build up on the bottom side of the cover? Water has to run off somewhere and wouldn't that lead to other potential issues down the road?
It never has happened to me. The cover just gets cold, nothing more regardless of humidity, dew point or temp.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:25 AM   #38
MarkC

Drives: 2018 HBM 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy01438 View Post
The condensation forms on the outside of the cold window, where it's more humid than inside the car (because the AC is on).

I'm in SC and noticed this happening to my car a lot lately. I've been trying to run the vents manually in floor and dash mode, which does help some, but the windshield still gets fogged up eventually.

Looks like I'll be buying a mouse pad soon
Old 09-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #39
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
The condensation forms on the outside of the cold window, where it's more humid than inside the car (because the AC is on).

I'm in SC and noticed this happening to my car a lot lately. I've been trying to run the vents manually in floor and dash mode, which does help some, but the windshield still gets fogged up eventually.

Looks like I'll be buying a mouse pad soon

While that is a possibility I would think it would evaporate off the bottom. In any event my windshield completely fogged up and by the grace of god I did not have an accident before coming to a stop so any other events are inconsequential. For me that was a very scary event and the car was only 2 months old. I made a rubber cover that covers half of the vent so air can still come out if I ever need a defroster.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #40
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Question is why is there air coming from the defroster when you have it off? This is truly annoying. Is it just poor design?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #41
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Question is why is there air coming from the defroster when you have it off? This is truly annoying. Is it just poor design?
Yes
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #42
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Yes
That's amazing that this has been a problem since 2016 and my 2018 hasn't seen some sort of design change to fix it. Does Chevy actually not know about this or just not care?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, cover, defrost, vent