Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Z/28 ticking sound

I’m in curiosity if anyone on this thread has had this similar situation and or concern?

This Z has 14k miles, not tracked but, driven conservative since owned for the past month. It has no modifications to the car... All OEM. This morning when conducting a PMCS on the Z, once the engine was warm, I noticed a consistent ticking from the left side from exhaust primary cat area. I checked the exhaust extensively, resulted in no exhaust leak detected.

What are your thoughts?

Worried it may be a lifter, or is this normal?
thus still under warranty, rather concerned considering it’s my daily.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

V/R
richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
LS7's have loud valvetrain...between 2k-3k rpm it's most noticeable. Yes, sounds like exhaust leak, sewing machine, lifter tick... etc.

Numerous threads since 2006 on Corvette forums and on here too. Multiple trips from various people to the dealer to confirm if there is an issue with engine/exhaust. All but a handful ended with it being normal. Concern arises if tick is at idle and increases with rpm.
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/

Last edited by j o n; 09-18-2018 at 10:29 AM.
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
quickdrraw

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I have got loud valvetrain noises too, more so than my LS3 SS for sure.
quickdrraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
richard grimsley
GRIM

Z/28 ticking

Thank you tremendously for the feedback. Today was the first time I noticed this noise. The ticking is not noticeable from the engine bay and or valve cover but, merely heard outside of the vehicles right side once it is warm. It brought me to thoughts of concern considering it’s not the LS3 and I am new to the LS7 Z aspect.

V/R
Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard grimsley View Post
Thank you tremendously for the feedback. Today was the first time I noticed this noise. The ticking is not noticeable from the engine bay and or valve cover but, merely heard outside of the vehicles right side once it is warm. It brought me to thoughts of concern considering it’s not the LS3 and I am new to the LS7 Z aspect.

V/R
I have 13K miles on mine also. I will listen today for ticking... but, if it is high pitched, forget it, my high pitch has been destroyed by rock & roll. lol.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard grimsley View Post

V/R
Yep, same exact noise my car makes. Warm, cold, street, track..always has. Not a worry for me. In general LS7's are noisy engines, this car will always make random noises. The uniqueness of the car is a factor as well, noisy trans, noisy flywheel, no carpeting..etc. In short..faily common noise.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
tylerio
EXTREMZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #891, 2012 2SS 45th Anni
Mine has been ticking for a long time. I have 20K miles. I've ignored it. So far, so good.
JPSS Oil cooler
JPSS SAI plates
JPSS Rear sway bar
Forza Continenti exhaust controller
ZL1 Add-ons wickerbill
Brey-Krause Harness bar
Schroth 4 pt. ASM harnesses
Auto-blip
tylerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
richard grimsley
GRIM

I appreciate all of the responses and in put; however, this noise tapping/ knocking that I continue to notice has my all time attention resulting in excessive concern and drives me nuts. I will take this in to GM to have it looked at and keep you updated.

Thank you again...

V/R
Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Have them check the "Torca" clamps, the ones that clamp the butt joint between the cat pipes and cat back system. These clamps are great only when the pipes are perfectly round. In many cases the piped are slightly deformed and may pass a tiny amount through between the walls of the clamp/pipe. Also make sure the cat back is tightly butted up against the cat pipes. I use a ratchet strap to pull the exhaust foeward tight then tighten the clamp bolts. Over time things tend to shift a bit because of the cars stiff suspension and cornering ability.

OEM Torca clamp: double wall

I have ordered a cheaper single wall clamp hoping that it will conform to any kind of deformation in the pipes.

They should be here tomorrow I will report back in a few weeks to see if a leak develops with these clamps.
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote