Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2016, 03:54 AM   #1
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
2016 Camaros sales Chart up to June

Taken from Camaro 6 not looking good
Attached Images

Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:21 AM   #2
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Damn.
Refresh time -
Then 7th gen but I'll still have my 5th, maybe addition depending on looks.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I would bet money that it's all about the cost. 42k for a basic 2SS 36k for a basic GT. Yes it is 37k for a basic 1SS, but the GT seems more similarly equipped to a 2SS. The real kicker is when you build a GT for still less than a nicely equipped 2SS that is basically a 1LE competitor. GM did a really good job being competitive with the 5th gen, but they have all but priced themselves out of the market with the 6th gen.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I would bet money that it's all about the cost. 42k for a basic 2SS 36k for a basic GT. Yes it is 37k for a basic 1SS, but the GT seems more similarly equipped to a 2SS. The real kicker is when you build a GT for still less than a nicely equipped 2SS that is basically a 1LE competitor. GM did a really good job being competitive with the 5th gen, but they have all but priced themselves out of the market with the 6th gen.

And I would bet money that you're wrong. I think it's all about aesthetics, and there has been no shortage of controversy (even here amongst the camaro faithful) on the looks of the car. THAT is the real problem-people think it's fugly.
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
And I would bet money that you're wrong. I think it's all about aesthetics, and there has been no shortage of controversy (even here amongst the camaro faithful) on the looks of the car. THAT is the real problem-people think it's fugly.
Yep, my opinion also. It's a car that looks OK, and has to grow on you. Most people with a 6th gen I've seen posting have said it themselves... "really grew on me"

The 5th gen had a great 1st impression that the 6th gen doesn't live up to.

Meanwhile the newer Mustang looks a hell of a lot nicer than the old one, in most people's opinions. They really came out with a good design whether you like it or not, I always hear good things about them when they drive by. Not so with the 6th gen.

Price may be a factor, but considering less SS/GT models are sold than the V6/I4 models, the low cost cars are closer together. But a V6 Mustang looks nicer than the 4 or 6 cylinder Camaro IMO
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
My local dearlership has a yellow 6th gen 4 cylinder turbo starting at $30k. Their argument is the technology justifies the cost.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
6th Gen is a cool looking CAR and great performer. But its no longer the nostalgic looking Camaro I craved and drew so many others towards. All they had to do is make the 6th gen look even more like the 1st Gen on the outside and would have had a winner. I'd be looking to trade up. Sure, there will be those that move over for the performance improvement, or because they don't have a Camaro yet.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
i said it on another similar post. Inventory is an issue by me, not price.......
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Personally, I'd really like to see a refresh and a price reduction. Or at very least, no increase in cost over the next few years so it evens out a little more.

The thing that I really don't like about the car, price aside, is the rear end and the quarter panel glass. I'm sure the rear will get a makeover eventually if they do anything like they did for the 5th gen. I just find elongated rectangular tail lamps to be boring, even if technically that sort of borrows more from the original Camaro design. Not a fan of the 2014/2015 refresh rear end either.

None of this is going to make it sell like the 5th gen, but the 5th gen had an unfair advantage of coming on the market after a very long hiatus from the 4th gen. They will never catch up to the Mustang's sales, but I think making the 6th gen Camaro more visually distinct would help a lot since most people don't care about performance other than "it has a v8" and will therefore conclude this isn't a major upgrade over the outgoing model.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Read an article that stated GM has cut back on their Camaro fleet sales, probably to make Camaro owners feel a bit more special about their cars whereas 5th gens were sold like hot cakes to fleets

Same article also said Ford ramped up the fleet sales of the Mustang
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
IMHO, it is both. The cost and the soft appearance. I paid ~$44k for my 2SS convertible in April of 2011. My dealer has two 2016 2SS convertibles. Price? ~$52k. Yikes!!! Same exact options...only 5 years newer. The appearance is also not wild enough of a change to make current 5th Gen owners want to upgrade. The Mustangs can be had for pennies on the dollar because you can buy one "bare-bones". On the other hand, the 6th Gen Camaro comes with a lot of technology standard. If you're not a Ford, Dodge or GM faithful...price will play a huge role in buying any vehicle. My buddy just bought a loaded, leftover 2015 GT w/ Track Pack for ~$34k.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
i think itd be more accurate to add together corvette and camaro sales when comparing to mustang sales. ford only sells one sports car. chevy offers 2. im not considering the focus SVT a sports car that car is a compact/hatchback.

more mustangs are sold not only cause their cheaper but thats fords only sports car. i think if chevy only offered one sports car the sales volume would be that high too
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Went in to showroom to open the hood of a new Mustang. Pulled on the kick panel latch and it felt like it was about to snap off in my hand, really did look like it was about to snap. Then got out and opened the hood ... it had a hood prop rod!!! That spoiled the new Mustang experience for me. And thought - get what you pay for, ha ha. Had a terrible flashback to the Ford Maverick I owned back in HS in early 70's. The Mustang factory exhaust sounds meak compared to the NPP Dual-Mode on the camaro. Then cringed at the idea of going to a 5.0 Liter Maverick sized engine verses 6.2 or 7.0 Liter camaro engines.
One common question over on the Mustang forum is what aftermarket exhaust can be added to the Mustang to make it Gurgle and Pop ... and thought how lucky we are with the camaro; has that already built-in on the NPP exhaust - the 6.2 Liter and 7.0 Liter has a great advantage there being a much bigger air pump ;-)
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 07-14-2016 at 12:13 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
HuJass

Drives: GM
I also think it's all about the looks.

But don't say that on the 6th gen board. They'll jump down your throat as if you insulted their mother. <shakes head>
Guess they have to defend their choice to buy an uglier car.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote