Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
UPDATE: I found an Ergo/Large at a local shop. They sold it to me on the provision that I can return it for a refund if it doesn't fit in the car...
SUCCESS!!! The Sparco Ergo/L fits into the Z/28, and the guy who oversaw the install said, "It looks like it was made for the car!". Not an easy install, for sure, as it's a tight squeeze. I'll post pictures when I can but am really excited about being able to use this seat. Every other seat I tried was a compromise for my height; I could make myself fit into other seats but they really didn't fit me that well. The Sparco Ergo/L is more like what you get with a tailor-made suit -- it really nails the fit.

Can't wait to track the car without having my helmet buried in the headliner! More to come...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #16
Z28-TX

Drives: 2015 Z-28 / '13 Howe TA2 Camaro
BooYah!!!

Quote:
SUCCESS!!! The Sparco Ergo/L fits into the Z/28, and the guy who oversaw the install said, "It looks like it was made for the car!". Not an easy install, for sure, as it's a tight squeeze. I'll post pictures when I can but am really excited about being able to use this seat. Every other seat I tried was a compromise for my height; I could make myself fit into other seats but they really didn't fit me that well. The Sparco Ergo/L is more like what you get with a tailor-made suit -- it really nails the fit.

Can't wait to track the car without having my helmet buried in the headliner! More to come...
Great News! I'm going to get mine ordered and ready for track event in May!
Z28-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
SummitZ28

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I have a '15 Z28 that I track frequently as well... Been through a few seat set ups and finally got it right. Maybe this will be helpful...

First i did the Sparco EVO II with the Sparco floor brackets, HD aluminum side brackets, and sliders and did not have enough headroom. I then fix mounted the seat and did not like not having adjustability as i like to be closer to the wheel at the track than the street.
Then i decided i was not comfortable in the EVO II so i switched to the EVO III but still wanted to use the sliders.

So, i took the Sparco floor brackets to a machine shop and had them cut and re-welded so that they sit closer to the floor and gained about 1.25" headroom. Granted the seat shoulder area does touch the door panel but it is definitely not a major issue. It was a MAJOR pain to install but everything is good now and have the adjustability of the slider + headroom.

Just FYI... that it you can make the slider work and have the headroom. I fit great with the helmet now.

Im 6'0" 235 athletic build.
SummitZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:48 AM   #18
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitZ28 View Post
...Just FYI... that it you can make the slider work and have the headroom. I fit great with the helmet now.

To a point, I'm sure you're right. I'm 6'7" and 235, and there's no way I fit with the sliders. Would be nice, but I'm happy with the fixed mounting and the headroom...
Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
johnr265

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitZ28 View Post
I have a '15 Z28 that I track frequently as well... Been through a few seat set ups and finally got it right. Maybe this will be helpful...

First i did the Sparco EVO II with the Sparco floor brackets, HD aluminum side brackets, and sliders and did not have enough headroom. I then fix mounted the seat and did not like not having adjustability as i like to be closer to the wheel at the track than the street.
Then i decided i was not comfortable in the EVO II so i switched to the EVO III but still wanted to use the sliders.

So, i took the Sparco floor brackets to a machine shop and had them cut and re-welded so that they sit closer to the floor and gained about 1.25" headroom. Granted the seat shoulder area does touch the door panel but it is definitely not a major issue. It was a MAJOR pain to install but everything is good now and have the adjustability of the slider + headroom.

Just FYI... that it you can make the slider work and have the headroom. I fit great with the helmet now.

So was the Evo II with sliders less headroom than stock? Just wondering. Would love to find a solution that doesn't require modification but I'm 6'1".

Are you guys attaching the sub strap to a sub bar attached to the seat?
johnr265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #20
SummitZ28

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I would say that the EVO II with the sliders was less headroom than stock. I didn't measure but i felt higher up and less comfortable seating position than stock.

And I'm using tank plates for the sub and lap belts.
SummitZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #21
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28-TX View Post
Great News! I'm going to get mine ordered and ready for track event in May!
I am playing around with the fit and will post more here when I'm done. Mounted to the floor gives you crazy headroom -- too much even for me at 6'7" with a longish torso. I'm actually having to raise the seat after my first try -- but because of the various geometries involved, I think that will get me a little more legroom (which is definitely needed in my case)...
Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #22
johnr265

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
I am playing around with the fit and will post more here when I'm done. Mounted to the floor gives you crazy headroom -- too much even for me at 6'7" with a longish torso. I'm actually having to raise the seat after my first try -- but because of the various geometries involved, I think that will get me a little more legroom (which is definitely needed in my case)...
When you say mounted to the floor, are you using the sparco floor mount and then HD side mount brackets? With your setup, if you have extra height, does that mean you could have used the sliders too?

It sounds like all things being equal, the Ergo sits lower than the Evo II?
johnr265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #23
camarolover2

Drives: 2013 zl1 1969 matching z 28
Quote:
Had a blast with CRT, a lot of other good folks, and the good weather at Thunderhill. We were running the 5-Mile circuit with Hooked On Driving.

Had my ups and had my downs. Dinged my front splitter in a brain-fade moment at the cross-over. I decided I shouldn't be on the track if I was going to let that mistake bother me; two offs now in 25 years is a pretty decent record.

Decided on an alternative strategy. Found a guy in a prepped M3 who was running a pace similar to mine, but who clearly knew the correct line. I followed him for a session or two, which really helped. This was my second time at T'hill so it's still new to me.

I then spent most of Saturday chasing a guy in his gorgeous new Z06/7, a.k.a. Superman. He's still getting up to speed, but could NOT believe I could keep up with him in my Z/28. On our last run he gapped me at the start -- I think the Trofeo Rs take longer to warm up than the Pilot Sport Cup 2s -- but then I started reeling him in.

My best lap was a 3:43.77 -- and this was during my last run of the weekend. Given that our fastest laps were typically before lunchtime, because of track temps, I felt great about that. My new goal is to break 3:40, and I think that's realistic. Time to get some coaching and make it happen!

Two observations:

1. The best thing you can do to your Camaro is to install the Brey-Krause harness bar and appropriate harnesses.

2. The second-best thing you can do is to install a proper racing shell. Now that I'm not flying around the car, under cornering and braking, I need to fix the headroom problem. Specifically, my head never moves as it's firmly jammed into the headliner. I'm so far back and up high that my sight-lines are terrible -- I need to be down as low as possible in the car. I'm working hard to find a shell that fits, and will install either a Sparco EVO II, Sparco ERGO, or Racetech seat. Racetech will make a custom shell for me for a $500 up-charge, which is a pretty great deal IMHO. None of the other makers (Recaro, Sparco, etc.) offer this service that I know of...
i have one question for you. i have a 2013 zl1 with the old seats and ive just ordered the z 28 recaro seat for my car. im 6 2 and was wondering if these seats will fit my frame with head room with helmet on thanks
camarolover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #24
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr265 View Post
When you say mounted to the floor, are you using the sparco floor mount and then HD side mount brackets? With your setup, if you have extra height, does that mean you could have used the sliders too?

It sounds like all things being equal, the Ergo sits lower than the Evo II?
Are you talking the Sparco bracket for the Camaro? We did not use that for the install. Instead, we used the mounting holes on the floor and used a nutsert on the bottom end (the underside of the hole), with a stud and the appropriate spacers on the other end. With my helmet on I can just touch the headliner if I sit up extremely straight. Perfect setup for me, though I may fiddle around to try and get a touch more legroom...

Old 04-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #25
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarolover2 View Post
i have one question for you. i have a 2013 zl1 with the old seats and ive just ordered the z 28 recaro seat for my car. im 6 2 and was wondering if these seats will fit my frame with head room with helmet on thanks
Sorry -- I'm not sure if you're asking about fitting into the Z/28 Recaro or the Sparco Ergo? If you're talking about the Sparco Ergo, you really want to find someone who has the seat -- or who will sell it to you with the ability to return it if it doesn't fit your frame. I can only say this: I'm 6'7" tall and weigh 235 pounds. I am snug in this seat in that my hipbones are in contact with the shell -- not tight or uncomfortable in ANY sense of the word, but it's like the seat was molded around me. I have a fairly slim build, and I would guess this seat is going to be too snug for anyone with a stocky or heavy build...
Old 04-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #26
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Here's another shot:

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #27
brt3
Runs with scissors...

It fits!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #28
brt3