Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-06-2022, 12:03 AM   #1
carlythecamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Loud rattling sound coming from rear of car after Cora Extreme Exhuast

hey all, new to this website but i'm having an issue with my car hoping someone can help. recently just had a corsa extreme exhaust installed with texas speed headers, got the proper tune but noticed on cold start & with i give it gas below 1500RPM there's this awful loud, rattle/ banging noise. took it back to the shop and was told that maybe i have a loose exhaust valve? i have provided a link to my cold start, any help would be much appreciated http://youtube.com/shorts/m3-JcsPUelw?feature=share
carlythecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:07 AM   #2
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
I would take it back to the whomever you had do the install and ask them to figure it out. Even if you have to pay them.
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
mrgto

Drives: '10 Equinox LTZ
I wouldn't trust a shop that told me I had a loose exhaust valve. Find another mechanic and get it on a lift.
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #4
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
I wouldn't trust a shop that told me I had a loose exhaust valve. Find another mechanic and get it on a lift.
I think they mean the AFM or NPP exhaust valves in the pipes.

It should be easy to locate that from under the car.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
mrgto

Drives: '10 Equinox LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
I think they mean the AFM or NPP exhaust valves in the pipes.

It should be easy to locate that from under the car.

Aren't the valves in the muffler?
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
19RSVert2.0T

Drives: 2019 RS Convertible 2.0T
That sounds a little extreme, but sometimes the mufflers will rattle as they are breaking in. I’ve had that with previous exhausts I’ve installed on my own cars and thought something was loose. Would check and everything was good and tight then it would go away in a couple days.
19RSVert2.0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
Aren't the valves in the muffler?
NPP valves are at the exhaust tips, AFM valves are in the pipes (if it even has them).
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #8
carlythecamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19RSVert2.0T View Post
That sounds a little extreme, but sometimes the mufflers will rattle as they are breaking in. I’ve had that with previous exhausts I’ve installed on my own cars and thought something was loose. Would check and everything was good and tight then it would go away in a couple days.
its been going on for over a month now
Old 12-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #9
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
I wasn't going to say anything, in my case rattling was the X-Pipe settling against the Cross Member brace. Its an easy enough fix and my shop did it for free as they did the initial install. They also said all Camaros have that issue with the X-Pipe settling and rattling against the Cross Member Brace

I did watch your video and it doesn't exactly sound like the same issue I had. I am not sure if that is applicable in your build I didn't see you specify an X-Pipe upgrade.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:21 PM   #10
carlythecamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, in my case rattling was the X-Pipe settling against the Cross Member brace. Its an easy enough fix and my shop did it for free as they did the initial install. They also said all Camaros have that issue with the X-Pipe settling and rattling against the Cross Member Brace

I did watch your video and it doesn't exactly sound like the same issue I had. I am not sure if that is applicable in your build I didn't see you specify an X-Pipe upgrade.
ive noticed that it also rattles in 8th gear if im under 1500 RPM, any other gear its fine, i was told it might be caused by high pressure exhaust flow which i have no idea how to fix.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:31 PM   #11
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythecamaro View Post
ive noticed that it also rattles in 8th gear if im under 1500 RPM, any other gear its fine, i was told it might be caused by high pressure exhaust flow which i have no idea how to fix.
For me: It rattled at regular RPM levels and usually around the same RPM levels. It would smooth out disappear at high RPM, but show its face at lower accel mid level RPMs, and not lower RPM's. In my case call it an RPM sweet spot I guess where it would rattle. It would even make it sound like the exhaust was louder than it actually was.

High Pressure exhaust flow. As I'm no expert would need to be defined for me. At first guess, it could be an exhaust leak like others have said. Rattle is Rattle, it can have different tones, and sounds. In my case the rattle literally sounded like metal bouncing on metal with the right RPM levels.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 01-18-2023, 10:14 PM   #12
carlythecamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
For me: It rattled at regular RPM levels and usually around the same RPM levels. It would smooth out disappear at high RPM, but show its face at lower accel mid level RPMs, and not lower RPM's. In my case call it an RPM sweet spot I guess where it would rattle. It would even make it sound like the exhaust was louder than it actually was.

High Pressure exhaust flow. As I'm no expert would need to be defined for me. At first guess, it could be an exhaust leak like others have said. Rattle is Rattle, it can have different tones, and sounds. In my case the rattle literally sounded like metal bouncing on metal with the right RPM levels.
Thats exactly what it sounds like, at certain times it seems as if the exhaust sounds louder than it actually is.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:34 PM   #13
Hostile_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE | Satin Steel
It’s probably the exhaust rubbing against the tunnel brace. When I installed mine, it rubbed and it was LOUD.
Hostile_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:05 AM   #14
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythecamaro View Post
Thats exactly what it sounds like, at certain times it seems as if the exhaust sounds louder than it actually is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile_1LE View Post
It’s probably the exhaust rubbing against the tunnel brace. When I installed mine, it rubbed and it was LOUD.
^

Had same issue when I had my X-Pipe installed. My shop shimmied the brace and I never had the issue again.

Tags
corsa exhaust, corsa extreme, loud, rattle