Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #113
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!
 
PDXSSCE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: ORegon
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
A previous generation Corvette has almost twice the storage capacity (admittedly oddly shaped), and is still about 400 lb lighter than a 2016 Camaro.

No back seats, but in real world use, our back seats serve no real purpose to begin with.

Just sayin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
Nope Lost in Harvey under 5 ft of water. I hated the A8 auto. so I went back to 5 gen like my first 2012 track car w/ 6spd auto. I loved it.
Track times at TWS (Texas World speedway) was better in this car but some straights were slower. Track time was shorter, the A8 would overheat.
Since it appears both of you run at tracks... Is a roll-bar required at a track to run a 5th generation SS convertible?
I've been wanting to try it, but won't make that modification & expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
lost a 163 lbs and can fit in the 6th gen but the price tag is the biggest turn off. knock 6-10 K off the price and I would consider it but love the size of my 5th gen, but at some point the age will catch up with it, might be a few more years but some things are inevitable, when I have to part with it, will be a 50/50 proposition, might go a more practical SUV or 6th gen, will take that fork in the road when it comes!
Congratulations. How did you lose 163 lbs?
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #114
gringo

 
gringo's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: U.S.
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
The Stinger GT is hardly an appliance.
It's still an appliance, albeit a pretty fast one. It's like the old saying goes about the Neon SRT-4 when they first came out. You might get beat by one, but at the end of the day the owner is driving a Neon back home.

Yeah, that Kia may be a lot faster than my Camaro, even some L99 and LS3 V8 SS models, but at the end of the day, it's still a Kia 4 door sedan. I don't know about you, but I'd rather own the Camaro.

Last edited by gringo; 06-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #115
Memphis SS

 
Memphis SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, TN.
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
An L99 trans in a Camaro getting rebuilt? I'm sure there may have been a
couple here in the last 9 years on camaro5, but I must have missed them.
The ones I was referring to I saw at the dealership when I went in the back to check on mine over a few visits. The only ones I have ever seen here listed on the form was a ZL1 several years back when they first came out.. I think it was a gray one and the dealer was doing a total rebuild on the motor. I forgot now what the issue was..

PS: Nice Looking car, Looks just like the GEN5 I use to own.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
2011 Camaro SS 2004 Corvette CE SOLD

Last edited by Memphis SS; 06-21-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #116
gringo

 
gringo's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: U.S.
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Happy to drive my first ever appliance in our Sorento SLX. Ranked near the top in its class and everything about it shows. Nothing chevy makes is even close to its refinement and quality. Kia isnt what they used to be at all, and anyone that buys one these days is getting the last laugh.
I rented a Kia Soul a few months ago and I was very impressed with all aspects of the car. The ride, handling, freeway power, room, you name it I loved it. It was much better than the typical Corollas, Sentras Yarises and other subcompact cars I've rented in the past.

Would I trade my Camaro in for one? Never. However, I wouldn't mind having one as a daily driver.

In fact, right before I bought my Camaro in the summer of '15, a friend was encouraging me to get a Kia Soul. The prices were fairly close between the two, but I'm glad I got the Camaro instead.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #117
Memphis SS

 
Memphis SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, TN.
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
Nope Lost in Harvey under 5 ft of water. I hated the A8 auto. so I went back to 5 gen like my first 2012 track car w/ 6spd auto. I loved it.
Track times at TWS (Texas World speedway) was better in this car but some straights were slower. Track time was shorter, the A8 would overheat.
Man that is one thing I hated about my GEN5 was the trans.. Way to sluggish. I've got a buddy right now that has a 2013 SS that drove mine and said he wishes he could take my A8. Only other thing I didn't like about my GEN5 was the steering wheel. I like the Corvette wheel used in the GEN6.

Well, for you sounds like you got something you like
__________________
2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
2011 Camaro SS 2004 Corvette CE SOLD
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #118
SecondZ28
 
SecondZ28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post

No back seats, but in real world use, our back seats serve no real purpose to begin with.
...
Attached Images
 
__________________
'13 ZL1
'06 TBSS
'98 TJ
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #119
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Since it appears both of you run at tracks... Is a roll-bar required at a track to run a 5th generation SS convertible?
I've been wanting to try it, but won't make that modification & expense.

Yes, I was told no roll bar no track time.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #120
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!
 
PDXSSCE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: ORegon
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Yes, I was told no roll bar no track time.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #121
05Goat
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
A retro 2nd gen would make an awesome 7th gen. Just sayin’
I've said this before. When I saw a retro trans am kit from a 70.. I thought it look incredible.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ling...xv-E0M4KCqnGM:
05Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #122
Gen6_1Le
 
Gen6_1Le's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
A retro 2nd gen would make an awesome 7th gen. Just sayin’
Bite your tongue , no more retro necessary for Camaro . Should have never gone that route in the first place .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #123
Mwalderjr
 
Mwalderjr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Slower versus ugly your choice.
THIS!!!
__________________

Like Father like son, except i like a lil color... mines on the right!
Mwalderjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #124
rontammy0
Dr feelgood
 
rontammy0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Bite your tongue , no more retro necessary for Camaro . Should have never gone that route in the first place .
Good thing most disagree. The 6th gen and the refresh are steps backward visually. You should give a reason why the reto look was a failure in your eyes...then follow it up with how the current and refreshed 6th gen are a hit.
__________________


K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
StainlessWorks1 7/8 longtube headers
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned

Last edited by rontammy0; 06-21-2018 at 05:00 PM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #125
motorhead


 
Drives: Love the one you're with
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Downtown Charlie Brown
Posts: 11,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
A previous generation Corvette has almost twice the storage capacity (admittedly oddly shaped), and is still about 400 lb lighter than a 2016 Camaro.

No back seats, but in real world use, our back seats serve no real purpose to begin with.

Just sayin'
Im not saying they got it right, but those are the things people complained about with the gen5
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #126
motorhead


 
Drives: Love the one you're with
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Downtown Charlie Brown
Posts: 11,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I rented a Kia Soul a few months ago and I was very impressed with all aspects of the car. The ride, handling, freeway power, room, you name it I loved it. It was much better than the typical Corollas, Sentras Yarises and other subcompact cars I've rented in the past.

Would I trade my Camaro in for one? Never. However, I wouldn't mind having one as a daily driver.

In fact, right before I bought my Camaro in the summer of '15, a friend was encouraging me to get a Kia Soul. The prices were fairly close between the two, but I'm glad I got the Camaro instead.
Well yeah, Kia doesnt offer a replacement for a Camaro. I would never give up a Camaro for a Kia either. But then again Camaros are toys for me not a daily driver.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.