Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #43
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think GM farms out the top assembly to an outside company. GM just installs them. Maybe they have the same quality issues with the units built on Monday's and Friday's. Maybe someone that works for GM can confirm this.
I believe Magna makes the convertible top. I saw a Magna sticker on the frame of mine when I was investigating my leak. I remember reading somewhere that Magna makes the Corvette top too.

As far as Monday/Friday quality issues goes that all depends on the leadership and workers at individual plants. I know that warranty cases in GM are taken very seriously whether they are a supplier issue or internal issue. I'm a manufacturing engineer at the old Rochester Products carburetor plant in Rochester, NY (now owned by GM again) and work ethics on the salary side and hourly side have definitely changed for the better over the years. We pump out quality air/fuel systems for the Silverado/GMC trucks. If we get a returned fuel system component from the field it is individually investigated and tested thoroughly to understand the problem. If we discover something that was never anticipated fixes are engineered on the equipment. The good news, our plant is known for excellent quality so these investigations are very uncommon.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #44
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
I believe Magna makes the convertible top. I saw a Magna sticker on the frame of mine when I was investigating my leak. I remember reading somewhere that Magna makes the Corvette top too.

As far as Monday/Friday quality issues goes that all depends on the leadership and workers at individual plants. I know that warranty cases in GM are taken very seriously whether they are a supplier issue or internal issue. I'm a manufacturing engineer at the old Rochester Products carburetor plant in Rochester, NY (now owned by GM again) and work ethics on the salary side and hourly side have definitely changed for the better over the years. We pump out quality air/fuel systems for the Silverado/GMC trucks. If we get a returned fuel system component from the field it is individually investigated and tested thoroughly to understand the problem. If we discover something that was never anticipated fixes are engineered on the equipment. The good news, our plant is known for excellent quality so these investigations are very uncommon.
Thanks, wonder if the tops have a barcode or something to track that information too?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #45
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Built Jan 2011 a couple of minor rub marks that the TSB fixed. Picked up in March 2011 almost 15,000 miles too many top cycles to count. Extremely happy with the car. I feel for those that have had multiple issues but I am happy mine has been trouble free.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #46
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Going back in Tuesday (AGAIN) as the cloth is pulling away from underneath the frame.
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #47
evlar

Drives: 2011 (L99) 2SS/RS vert
Mine's been in the shop 3 times in 6 months of ownership. Twice for the top and once for the differential. I like the car, but man it's given me some frustration.
evlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #48
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
Guys, I encourage you to not knock Brandon/GM Customer Service posts here. It'd be just as easy for GM to pull out of the forums and ignore us. I've seen it in other forums I frequent for some of my hobbies. I understand your frustration but I don't think it's productive or beneficial. That said, Brandon read one of my posts some time back and PM'd me to open a claim on the subject. We don't always get to see the behind the scenes things that he and others do. I submit that he, like us, is a person and as a member of this community (even in a professional capacity) and an employee of GM has an interest in making things right. I also submit that his actions are severely limited (this is conjecture here) by corporate policy and that to protect his position (both as a representative of GM here and his employment) he HAS NO CHOICE but to color within the GM Corporate lines.

I share your frustration with the various issues being adressed here, believe me, but it simply does no good to bash him, his posts, or his position.

No flame intended here...I just don't want to lose a resource...and I'm pretty sure Brandon doesn't deserve the flaying he's recieved here.

Tib
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #49
njmike

Drives: Inferno orange Vert
All clear
Old 07-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
Texasbeachbum

Drives: 2012 LT2 45th Vert
Had mine since April 2 2012. 4000 miles and no problems at all. "KNOCK ON WOOD"
Texasbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #51
Gio Bella

Drives: Camaro 2SS Convertible,blk,blk int
Bought mine 12/23/2011 Build date 6/30/2011. I have a few wrinkles on both sides just past the rear windows but they go away once the top is up for a while. Never a leak and it's been a blast to drive. I do have one theory; After looking at the 2011 Calender, my car was built by the evening shift and the next day was a National Holiday in Canada, so i figure instead of the workers rushing them out that night they knew they had a vacation day coming. Just a thought because it makes no sense why so many have really horrendous problems and some have none.
Enjoy the good weather,
Happy 4th of July
Gio
Gio Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #52
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger View Post
I am baffled by the hit or miss issues for those who have problems. Seems to be no rhyme or reason as far as production dates/year models.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Thanks, wonder if the tops have a barcode or something to track that information too?
Not to go on a tangent but, in this day and age, it seems like that's easy enough to do. With all the input that GM has, it would seem that they may be able to track that info down.

SSTOKED input?
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #53
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Guys, I encourage you to not knock Brandon/GM Customer Service posts here. It'd be just as easy for GM to pull out of the forums and ignore us. I've seen it in other forums I frequent for some of my hobbies. I understand your frustration but I don't think it's productive or beneficial. That said, Brandon read one of my posts some time back and PM'd me to open a claim on the subject. We don't always get to see the behind the scenes things that he and others do. I submit that he, like us, is a person and as a member of this community (even in a professional capacity) and an employee of GM has an interest in making things right. I also submit that his actions are severely limited (this is conjecture here) by corporate policy and that to protect his position (both as a representative of GM here and his employment) he HAS NO CHOICE but to color within the GM Corporate lines.

I share your frustration with the various issues being adressed here, believe me, but it simply does no good to bash him, his posts, or his position.

No flame intended here...I just don't want to lose a resource...and I'm pretty sure Brandon doesn't deserve the flaying he's recieved here.

Tib

Everyone that has insulted Brandon should follow the old adage. Do not judge someone's actions until you have walked a mile in their shoes.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #54
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
Quote:

Tib
I totally Agree.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #55
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Guys, I encourage you to not knock Brandon/GM Customer Service posts here.....
It think this emoticon is fitting to support Brandon's efforts. I couldn't agree more with Tib. Brandon was helpful to me when I private messaged him too.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #56
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
SSTOKED, any updates? Did they start working on yours this week?
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote