Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
cowmaro

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1
Improve handling? ZL1 specific

I would like to improve the handling a little on the ZL1. The last car I did got all the bushings replaced, body braces and sway bars all at once so I couldn't tell which actually did the most good. (Non Camaro)

For ZL1 specific applications whats the 'first' and most improvement in the handling mod? Z28 UCA bushings? Sway bars? subframe bushings?

Please refrain from telling me how the ZL1 is the best handling car in the world...its not. lol

Last edited by cowmaro; 02-25-2018 at 02:12 PM.
cowmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Improve handling how?

Where are you driving? Under what conditions? What rubber are you running? What is the psi set at?

I'd say tires and sway bars.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Please refrain from telling me how the ZL1 is the best handling car in the world...its not. lol
Lol. I bought mine new in 2012 and I was surprised how well it handles for a such a fat pig. However I did notice pronounced understeer and some body roll when pushed in spirited driving. I've done quite few a changes, but I will say adding Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings made a very noticeable improvement in handling and straight line acceleration with minimal NVH increase along with zero wheel hop.

Here is list of suspension/chassis mods I've done:
- Pfadt rear adjustable sway bay with billet bushing saddles and poly bushings (helped to adjust out understeer)
- Eibach Pro Spring lowering kit
- Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings (skip any chassis supports and get these)
- Pegasus rear trailing arms
- Z/28 rear upper control bushings (works great with solid cradle bushings)
- Z/28 front Delrin front radius arm inserts (really tightened up the steering)
- BMR - front endlinks (didn't really notice a difference with these)
- Stock front sway bar with billet saddle and poly bushing (This was actually noticeable compred to stock).
- Quality 4 wheel alignment from a reputable shop is critical when modding the suspension on this car.
- Quality high end tires. I recently added Michelin Pilot 4S tires and love them.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
cowmaro

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Lol. I bought mine new in 2012 and I was surprised how well it handles for a such a fat pig. However I did notice pronounced understeer and some body roll when pushed in spirited driving. I've done quite few a changes, but I will say adding Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings made a very noticeable improvement in handling and straight line acceleration with minimal NVH increase along with zero wheel hop.

Here is list of suspension/chassis mods I've done:
- Pfadt rear adjustable sway bay with billet bushing saddles and poly bushings (helped to adjust out understeer)
- Eibach Pro Spring lowering kit
- Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings (skip any chassis supports and get these)
- Pegasus rear trailing arms
- Z/28 rear upper control bushings (works great with solid cradle bushings)
- Z/28 front Delrin front radius arm inserts (really tightened up the steering)
- BMR - front endlinks (didn't really notice a difference with these)
- Stock front sway bar with billet saddle and poly bushing (This was actually noticeable compred to stock).
- Quality 4 wheel alignment from a reputable shop is critical when modding the suspension on this car.
- Quality high end tires. I recently added Michelin Pilot 4S tires and love them.

OMG. Thank you so much Drkphx! This was exactly what i was looking for.
cowmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I second the Michelin Pilot 4S recommendation. My 2SS really picked up some lateral
G capability with them after changing out the stock P Zeros.

Good rubber costs good money. High end performance tires cost high end. Going cheap on tires shows in performance.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Yeah, those are all improvements.

please know the cost will exceed $10k...on a 6 year old car. If you're going to track it, by all means.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote