Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Have any of you guys re-wrapped your hood?

If so, how hard was it? I just got a quote of $450 to redo mine. Hell with that! It can't be that difficult, right?
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
That's a ripoff, a local shop quoted me around 200 for the whole hood.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
J Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
That's a ripoff, a local shop quoted me around 200 for the whole hood.
That sounds more reasonable. I'll have it painted before I spend $450 on a wrap. I can get the material for around $50 so I think I'll just try it myself first.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
silverstorm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Wrapping isn't hard, you just need patience to do it right.
silverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
krump99

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Wrapping an area like that shouldn't be too hard if you have the right tools. Also its all about surface prep
krump99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:25 AM   #6
Phenix

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
I would charge $150 - $200... If you are going to do it on your own remember you need more than just the material. Heat gun, knife with blades, squeegee, buffers, something to clean after you remove the old wrap that doesn't have wax or gloss enhancers in it. At least that. Be careful when you are cutting, never cut directly on the car, the blade tip should always have open air under it. Make sure you heat the old wrap as you remove it. You could leave it out in the sun on a warm day to heat the whole thing at once but something tells me your not getting days like that right now on Indiana...
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
J Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
I would charge $150 - $200... If you are going to do it on your own remember you need more than just the material. Heat gun, knife with blades, squeegee, buffers, something to clean after you remove the old wrap that doesn't have wax or gloss enhancers in it. At least that. Be careful when you are cutting, never cut directly on the car, the blade tip should always have open air under it. Make sure you heat the old wrap as you remove it. You could leave it out in the sun on a warm day to heat the whole thing at once but something tells me your not getting days like that right now on Indiana...
Great tips, thanks! And yea, I wouldn't be doing this until sometime in the summer most likely. Still hoping I can find a better price to have it done professionally before then. I have zero patience for jobs like these so I have a feeling it will end up a lot like my tail light tinting job.... with me rolling up the vinyl into a big ball and shoving it into the trash can.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:23 AM   #8
chargerfan2

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE 2SS Summit White
I've done it twice. Once when I bought it because it had a small nick in it and I could see the white of the hood coming through. I paid $200 for that one. The second time was after a scratch developed in it and was bugging me. That was $250. I wouldn't pay more than $250.
chargerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #9
J Rod

So yesterday I decided I couldn't stand looking at the 3 foot long scratch/gouge in the vinyl on my hood anymore. I was getting ready to start ripping the vinyl off when I figured, what the hell if I’m removing it anyway I may as well see what happens if I try to sand it out. Admittedly, I am a pathetic excuse for a bodyman so I had no idea what I was doing but I grabbed some 2000 grit sandpaper and a cup of water and went to town. I got the scratch out but as expected, the sanded vinyl looked pretty bad (faded and dull grey) compared to the rest of the hood. I ran over to autozone and picked up some of the stuff below and did the whole hood…. holy balls it looks like new again!! I’ll post a pic of it this weekend when I take her out to get dynotuned. I’m not sure how long this stuff will last but I’ll check back later in the summer to give you an update.

LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
Panda1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE (6spd)
When I bought my car, the one thing bothering me was the wrap on the hood (was faded and damaged from previous owner). I found a buddy who actually wraps on the side and wanted the challenge so all I did was buy the wrap ($90), and help him out. It came out pretty good. Not too bad of a job and I learned a lot. A local shop I went to first wanted between $400-$500 to do the job.

CAI intake, Stainless Power LTH, SCT X4, NPP exhaust
Panda1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
iiAmSosaa

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
My wrap was fading and kept getting weird spots so I just painted it hot rod black and never looked back
Attached Images

iiAmSosaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
J Rod

Looks great! So you just had it repainted over the original red? How long ago was that and what did it run you, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
J Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
So yesterday I decided I couldn't stand looking at the 3 foot long scratch/gouge in the vinyl on my hood anymore. I was getting ready to start ripping the vinyl off when I figured, what the hell if I’m removing it anyway I may as well see what happens if I try to sand it out. Admittedly, I am a pathetic excuse for a bodyman so I had no idea what I was doing but I grabbed some 2000 grit sandpaper and a cup of water and went to town. I got the scratch out but as expected, the sanded vinyl looked pretty bad (faded and dull grey) compared to the rest of the hood. I ran over to autozone and picked up some of the stuff below and did the whole hood…. holy balls it looks like new again!! I’ll post a pic of it this weekend when I take her out to get dynotuned. I’m not sure how long this stuff will last but I’ll check back later in the summer to give you an update.
So I finally got a good look at it in the sunlight today, looks like crap. lol Guess I'll just go ahead and remove the vinyl until I can get it rewrapped/painted. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #14
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
I just did mine. Wasn't difficult at all. It was nice having a second set of hands but could've done it by myself if I had to.

I got the material from Amazon along with the tools. There's a really good video on YouTube.com

Material:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tool Kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video:

https://youtu.be/hdQ0Hf9Aq4E

Good luck.

You CAN do it.