Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #589
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Funny though how in other posts you ex-GM guys claim that it's the market, not the government, dictating (I specifically recall you James saying it would happen anyway because of the global shift to SUVs and eventually EVs, so the government isn't forcing anything via CAFE, just acknowledging the trend). Isn't this a bit of a contradiction?
No. I’d need to write a frickin’ book to explain the gory details, but the readers digest version is that the domestic automakers pretty much held the pen that drafted the EPA regulations. The market can only buy what’s available in the market. By HEAVILY influencing the drafting of the footprint curves, the domestics tipped the scales to favor more profitable SUVs and pickups where imports do not have a strong position. It’s why we have $80k pickups. So the portfolios shifted from sedans to SUVs, CUVs, and pickups. From there it falls to customer choice to pick from what the automakers place on the lot. Asian automakers are disadvantaged when it comes to pickups (Google chicken tax) and continue to offer sedans. Their customers are cool with that, so they’ll keep buying Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia sedans. But those companies also had to add CUVs and SUVs to their portfolios to match what the domestics are pushing their customer base to consider.

When we are talking EVs, the CAFE curves don’t matter, so Trucks have no built in advantage over Cars. Real world, Cars will get better range than Trucks, so I project that Cars will make a comeback.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:20 AM   #590
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

Plus this is a classic example of "receivers" optimizing to artificial metrics, which then defeats the original purpose—the bigger, more expensive and polluting, the better because of CAFE metrics, real world impact be damned. Metrics weaponization is another term that comes to mind.
Spot on.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 04-22-2023, 11:21 AM   #591
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
No. I’d need to write a frickin’ book to explain the gory details, but the readers digest version is that the domestic automakers pretty much held the pen that drafted the EPA regulations. The market can only buy what’s available in the market. By HEAVILY influencing the drafting of the footprint curves, the domestics tipped the scales to favor more profitable SUVs and pickups where imports do not have a strong position. It’s why we have $80k pickups. So the portfolios shifted from sedans to SUVs, CUVs, and pickups. From there it falls to customer choice to pick from what the automakers place on the lot. Asian automakers are disadvantaged when it comes to pickups (Google chicken tax) and continue to offer sedans. Their customers are cool with that, so they’ll keep buying Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia sedans. But those companies also had to add CUVs and SUVs to their portfolios to match what the domestics are pushing their customer base to consider.

When we are talking EVs, the CAFE curves don’t matter, so Trucks have no built in advantage over Cars. Real world, Cars will get better range than Trucks, so I project that Cars will make a comeback.
Thanks a lot, no need to write a book just for me/us (although you may want to consider that, your insights are super valuable, seriously). So okay, this makes sense, but only somewhat, because it also sounds like domestic manufacturers simply yielded the car market to Asia when helping the government produce EPA regulations that then heavily favored SUVs and pickup trucks.

They could also have pushed for import duties instead, for example, or any other measure that favors them vs imports. All I'm saying is it's strange how easily they surrendered, if that's how it went down.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #592
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, no need to write a book just for me/us (although you may want to consider that, your insights are super valuable, seriously). So okay, this makes sense, but only somewhat, because it also sounds like domestic manufacturers simply yielded the car market to Asia when helping the government produce EPA regulations that then heavily favored SUVs and pickup trucks.

They could also have pushed for import duties instead, for example, or any other measure that favors them vs imports. All I'm saying is it's strange how easily they surrendered, if that's how it went down.
Some Asian companies build more cars in the US than some domestics. Some domestics import more cars into the US than Asians.

Old 04-22-2023, 12:53 PM   #593
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Some Asian companies build more cars in the US than some domestics. Some domestics import more cars into the US than Asians.
They sure do now, but isn't that a relatively new, shall I say, post-CAFE phenomenon?

Also, GM and others would import way less if they couldn't get away with slave, pardon, cheap labor in other countries. The Asians tend to favor the long game and now, a few decades in, their strategy has begun paying dividends. But, let's not turn this into a policital discussion, I think I understand your points

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:10 PM   #594
1fastz28

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Personally I’m surprised Malibu survived.
I'm sure this was mostly due to fleet sales for rentals.
1fastz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 04:51 PM   #595
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Thinking about picking up a 24, but a little disappointed there probably won't be anything particularly special for the last year. We will see what the panther includes but I don't have my hopes up. GM only seems to care about the vette. Challenger and Mustang are constantly upping their game. Camaro released the ZL1 1LE and sat on it for 5 years. Love it if they would prove me wrong.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #596
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

What is your take on Dodge making the Demon 170 and getting it past CAFE and emissions on pump gas? I can't believe they have a 900hp (on pump gas) OHV production engine past emissions but hats off to them.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:10 PM   #597
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
What is your take on Dodge making the Demon 170 and getting it past CAFE and emissions on pump gas? I can't believe they have a 900hp (on pump gas) OHV production engine past emissions but hats off to them.
Didnt they pay a bunch of money for credits? maybe I am off base, so they are saying buy my 100K challenger instead of GM saying buy my 100K hummer that we will make a shitton more money on

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:28 PM   #598
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
They are already under water with CAFE and either paying fines or buying credits from other automakers (Tesla?). The Demon 170 will be in such low volume that it won’t impact CAFE too much more. Hats off to them for achieving what they have with the Demon 170 and making it emissions compliant. Emissions compliance is different than CAFE compliance because if you are not emissions compliant, it’s not about paying a fine or buying credits. You simply cannot sell the vehicle. Period. So kudos to Micky Bly and the propulsion systems team for making that happen.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:41 PM   #599
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
They sure do now, but isn't that a relatively new, shall I say, post-CAFE phenomenon?

Also, GM and others would import way less if they couldn't get away with slave, pardon, cheap labor in other countries. The Asians tend to favor the long game and now, a few decades in, their strategy has begun paying dividends. But, let's not turn this into a policital discussion, I think I understand your points
Japanese and Korean OEMs basically build cars here for two reasons (actually 3). First, it costs a lot if money to put a car on a boat and ship it here. Second, states line up to build you a factory for free so you don’t have to pay that money to put the car on a boat. And the third is they offer to pay to train the workers and give you 10 years or more of tax free operation. So if you are a HUGELY nationalistic country and someone offers you a deal like that that screws your own people out of jobs…………
Old 04-22-2023, 10:34 PM   #600
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Japanese and Korean OEMs basically build cars here for two reasons (actually 3). First, it costs a lot if money to put a car on a boat and ship it here. Second, states line up to build you a factory for free so you don’t have to pay that money to put the car on a boat. And the third is they offer to pay to train the workers and give you 10 years or more of tax free operation. So if you are a HUGELY nationalistic country and someone offers you a deal like that that screws your own people out of jobs…………
I don't know which was worse, the state governments whose hatred of unions and greed caused them to offer these sweetheart deals to foreign car companies or the national government for allowing them to do it. Sure, let's let one group of states bribe a bunch of foreign companies to wage economic war on a group of other states and one of the country's oldest industries (whose factories were crucial in winning two world wars by the way). What could be wrong with that?
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #601
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
I don't know which was worse, the state governments whose hatred of unions and greed caused them to offer these sweetheart deals to foreign car companies or the national government for allowing them to do it. Sure, let's let one group of states bribe a bunch of foreign companies to wage economic war on a group of other states and one of the country's oldest industries (whose factories were crucial in winning two world wars by the way). What could be wrong with that?

Capitalism, baby!
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #602
JerryABrownie

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
I don't know which was worse, the state governments whose hatred of unions and greed caused them to offer these sweetheart deals to foreign car companies or the national government for allowing them to do it. Sure, let's let one group of states bribe a bunch of foreign companies more info about essays for sale of any subject and one of the country's oldest industries (whose factories were crucial in winning two world wars by the way). What could be wrong with that?
Don't even get me started on the national government for allowing this mess to happen. It's like they're turning a blind eye to the science of economic war going on between states...
Anyway... we gotta support our local industries, man. Instead of buying foreign cars, let's try to buy American-made cars and support our own economy and writing books about our cars. I say every little bit counts, would you agree?))
I mean it's just about spreading the word and raising awareness. That's all.

Last edited by JerryABrownie; 04-26-2023 at 11:14 PM.
JerryABrownie is offline   Reply With Quote