Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Reliability of the 2017 ZL1

In the near future I may be in the market for a new ZL1 or even a Z06. I know the 5th gen ZL1s were built well in terms of the drivetrain. I've been researching these cars for a while and the LT4 engine doesn't seem as sturdy as the LSA. I also feel like the parts they use to make the new vehicles are getting cheaper which would mean they are prone to breaking more often. In no way am I trying to bash the Z06 or ZL1, but I just want to hear your opinions on the new models. I'm leaning more towards the ZL1 since it's in my price range, but I would hate to trade in my '13 ZL1 for a car that may not be as reliable. Please hear me out!
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
I suppose time will ultimately tell!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
In the near future I may be in the market for a new ZL1 or even a Z06. I know the 5th gen ZL1s were built well in terms of the drivetrain. I've been researching these cars for a while and the LT4 engine doesn't seem as sturdy as the LSA. I also feel like the parts they use to make the new vehicles are getting cheaper which would mean they are prone to breaking more often. In no way am I trying to bash the Z06 or ZL1, but I just want to hear your opinions on the new models. I'm leaning more towards the ZL1 since it's in my price range, but I would hate to trade in my '13 ZL1 for a car that may not be as reliable. Please hear me out!
You might what to check out a vette forum and see what issues the new Z06 guys are having. From what i have read GM has fixed the overheating issue that plagued the vette on the new ZL1. They would be the best source on any other issues with the motor, since the new ZL1 just came out.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
SSallday

The new ZL1's look mean and time will play a role in their reliability. I've been roaming on the Vette forums and found them to be useful. I'm just curious to see what my fellow ZL1 brothers have to say about Chevys' top dogs.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:53 AM   #5
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Do you just want a new car or what???May be awhile before any reliable info is available on the 6th gen, but I'm quite pleased with my 5th gen lightly modded and it is less expensive to continue to build from my platform than to go to a 6th gen and start all over...And the 6th gen just doesn't have the aggressive look of the 5th...And a ZO6 at over $95,000.00 is completely out of the question...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Do you just want a new car or what???May be awhile before any reliable info is available on the 6th gen, but I'm quite pleased with my 5th gen lightly modded and it is less expensive to continue to build from my platform than to go to a 6th gen and start all over...And the 6th gen just doesn't have the aggressive look of the 5th...And a ZO6 at over $95,000.00 is completely out of the question...
Yeah, I was maybe thinking of a new ZL1 or Z06. I would mod my car, but the dealers near me have no mercy for people who mod their cars unfortunately. I've seen some z06's for 70k new so I was maybe considering one.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Don't know how you can say the LT4 doesn't seem as sturdy as the LSA.

The LT4 has an impressive list of highlights:
  • Next generation Eaton supercharger
  • Dual-Brick Air-to-Liquid intercooler
  • Rotocast A356T6 aluminum cylinder heads that are stronger and handle heat better than conventional aluminum heads
  • Lightweight titanium intake valves
  • Forged powder metal steel connecting rods which are highly machined to an optimized geometry for increased strength while eliminating unnecessary reciprocating mass
  • High 10.0:1 compression ratio – for a forced-induction engine – enhances performance and efficiency and is enabled by direct injection
  • Forged aluminum pistons with unique, stronger structure to ensure strength under high cylinder pressures
  • Stainless steel exhaust manifolds for structure at higher temperatures
  • Aluminum balancer for reduced mass
  • Dual-pressure-control and variable-displacement vane pump with increased flow capacity
  • Dual-equal cam phasing
  • PCV integrated rocker covers
  • Direct Injection
  • High-pressure fuel pump

I think the overheating on the Z06 has more to do with the design limits of the ZO6 than it is a problem with the engine.

Having owned a 5th gen ZL1 and now a 6th gen, I can tell you first hand the build quality of the 6th gen is much better, especially on the interior. I never understood why reviewers would knock the interior of the 5th gen as cheap. Now I understand why, the interior of the 6th gen is a major improvement. Exterior parts also seem to fit together better on my 6th gen. The new ZL1 just feels a lot more solid than my 5th gen.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I brought this up months ago....I guess only time will tell....

The LSA will go down as one of the most mod friendly V8's in history IMHO.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Don't know how you can say the LT4 doesn't seem as sturdy as the LSA.

The LT4 has an impressive list of highlights:
  • Next generation Eaton supercharger
  • Dual-Brick Air-to-Liquid intercooler
  • Rotocast A356T6 aluminum cylinder heads that are stronger and handle heat better than conventional aluminum heads
  • Lightweight titanium intake valves
  • Forged powder metal steel connecting rods which are highly machined to an optimized geometry for increased strength while eliminating unnecessary reciprocating mass
  • High 10.0:1 compression ratio – for a forced-induction engine – enhances performance and efficiency and is enabled by direct injection
  • Forged aluminum pistons with unique, stronger structure to ensure strength under high cylinder pressures
  • Stainless steel exhaust manifolds for structure at higher temperatures
  • Aluminum balancer for reduced mass
  • Dual-pressure-control and variable-displacement vane pump with increased flow capacity
  • Dual-equal cam phasing
  • PCV integrated rocker covers
  • Direct Injection
  • High-pressure fuel pump

I think the overheating on the Z06 has more to do with the design limits of the ZO6 than it is a problem with the engine.

Having owned a 5th gen ZL1 and now a 6th gen, I can tell you first hand the build quality of the 6th gen is much better, especially on the interior. I never understood why reviewers would knock the interior of the 5th gen as cheap. Now I understand why, the interior of the 6th gen is a major improvement. Exterior parts also seem to fit together better on my 6th gen. The new ZL1 just feels a lot more solid than my 5th gen.
Hey Hawk,

How are you enjoying the new ZL1?

I dont think any of us are bashing the LT4. I just think with the new engines such as the LT4 they come fairly wound tight from the factory so you dont or cant mod as friendly as the LSA engines. This does give the newer engines the advantages of retaining factory warranty with higher stock HP and torq numbers. We have to swap pulleys and header to get up to your power levels.

Either engine rocks IMHO.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Hey Hawk,

How are you enjoying the new ZL1?

I dont think any of us are bashing the LT4. I just think with the new engines such as the LT4 they come fairly wound tight from the factory so you dont or cant mod as friendly as the LSA engines. This does give the newer engines the advantages of retaining factory warranty with higher stock HP and torq numbers. We have to swap pulleys and header to get up to your power levels.

Either engine rocks IMHO.
Unfortunately the Ohio weather this time of year has put a little damper on my seat time in the new car. When I have had a chance to drive it, the quickness and stability of the car is absolutely amazing. Tons of low end torque.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the LT4 not being as mod friendly as the LSA. The LT4 is still a single cam, push rod engine so the same power adders that work on the LSA also work on the LT4. Someone has already taken their new ZL1 and upgraded it with a cam, headers, pulley's, custom intake, flex fuel sensor, meth and tune to make 770 rwhp and 792 rwtq. The only difference over the LSA is the numbers are bigger.

Everyone forgets that the LSA had been in the CTS-V almost a full four years before it's introduction in the ZL1. The CTS-V market gained a lot of experience with the engine in that time that immediately carried over to the ZL1 market. The LT4 has been out what, a max of 2 years? I think during the next two years you'll see the level of performance mods for the LT4 begin to catch up with the LSA, especially now that the LT4 is in three models of GM cars.

I do agree with you that the one thing that may slow this pace is the power of the LT4 out of the box. The extra 70 hp and almost 100 ft/lb of torque over the stock LSA certainly diminishes the immediate need to modify the engine. Especially if your only driving it on the street. I know based on the limited seat time I've had in the new car, I'm certainly in no rush to do any performance mods. So far I'm very satisfied with the performance of the stock engine.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Yeah the LT4 is just as friendly to mods as the LSA, coming from the Z06 world. Without knocking either engine here, we all know the LSA is extremely efficient once it gets past stock and the LS9 has a big blower and stays cooler longer, but let's ask ourselves, do you really think that GM was willing to go backwards with engine design comping from the LSA and LS9 and going to the LT4? No.

The LT4 is a nasty engine with just a tune, and/or a few mods. A LT4 with a mild pulley (Equivalent to a 9.1" lower for us, still early in the boost is what I'm trying to demonstrate), Ported blower, intake, and running a mix of 93 and E85 makes 714 RWHP (Fasterproms build). The LT4 can tear stuff up with mild stuff HOWEVER it does die off once you get past that mild stuff. IMO it's because the blower is too small, its achilles heal...Spinning a little fan really really really fast doesn't do as much as spinning a big fan at a moderate rate. (Terrible analogy, but you get the point).

To say the LSA is superior to the LT4 I think is wrong, the LT4 is newer and better in just about every way, as it should be, but that doesn't mean that the LSA is a bad engine, they're some of the best GM engines ever built. Now if you are comparing the LT4 vs the LS9, then things are a little more even, and in my book, the LS9 is superior to the LT4 for aftermarket. Our LSAs are good, and the LS9 just adds a little cream and cherry to the top with a bigger blower, better fuel and oil system, titanium parts, and a bit more cam.

We're in the golden age.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
SSallday

In no means did I create this thread to bash the LT4. In fact, I think the engine has a lot of balls. I appreciate all of your opinions and wanted to hear them before I make a final decision on a Z06 or ZL1. With all the hype about the overheating and carbon buildup, I don't think it should be much of a problem because I wouldn't be tracking my new car.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
In no means did I create this thread to bash the LT4. In fact, I think the engine has a lot of balls. I appreciate all of your opinions and wanted to hear them before I make a final decision on a Z06 or ZL1. With all the hype about the overheating and carbon buildup, I don't think it should be much of a problem because I wouldn't be tracking my new car.
In regards to this question I say...Get a Z06 and never look back. You'll appreciate the agility and lighter feel of the Z06. The ZL1's rear seats are basically non existent from what we know of the '16 SS so if you have no comfortable rear seats then what the hell are you buying the ZL1 for? You're gaining 300-500+ Lbs for it to join the muscle car group...Sorry I'd take the Vette.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
In regards to this question I say...Get a Z06 and never look back. You'll appreciate the agility and lighter feel of the Z06. The ZL1's rear seats are basically non existent from what we know of the '16 SS so if you have no comfortable rear seats then what the hell are you buying the ZL1 for? You're gaining 300-500+ Lbs for it to join the muscle car group...Sorry I'd take the Vette.
I would love to take ownership of a vette, but it may be out of reach due to my financial situation. I will know for sure by the spring or summer which car i'm going to purchase.