Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
It's a battery thing

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Tractor Supply Co "Traveler T-H7" battery, $129 w/core exchange. I bought one of these in July 2018 to replace my factory Ac Delco (which lived an amazing 8 years). The Camaro has been parked in the garage since August 2018, due to health issues. I felt good today and decided to go for a drive. Fired right up.
I'm saying this because I own a garage queen that sits all winter. I have never put it on a battery tender.
I know many of you are of the mind set that the more expensive is always better and because we add letters or numbers at the end (AGM) it has to be the best.
This is for you folks who actually do not have one of those money trees growing in your back yard.
You really can buy a good old fashioned wet cell battery that will perform as well as the "reinvented wheel" brand, and your car will still start, still run your lights and stereo...and will not cause your car to spontaneously combust.
I realize I have owned this a mere 6 months....but I feel I will most likely get another 8 years from this one (if I keep it that long).
Again, it's just a battery thing.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Your right. Theres so much talk about battery tenders here on Camaro5. IMO they are just
something to sell, with no real benefit. I've restored and maintained my antique cars for
over 40 years and have never needed one. On these and my Camaro, If it's stored winters
I just disconnect the negative cable and let it sit. In the spring I put a charger on the
battery for a few hours and start the car up. Never a problem and I rarely need to replace
a battery.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I have had seasonal use cars and bikes for years and wouldn't be without battery tenders. They are $15 when Farm and Fleet has a sale. My lawnmower has one. I get years and years out of batteries since I started using them. My old street machine would get a season or two without. Batteries are crap anymore, due to crap manufacturing and environmental concerns. My 2010 would kill a battery in a couple weeks, just sitting, even in the summer. My 2013 seems better but will still drain one in a month.

Pulling the cable on our cars sucks. A tender is easy.

All that being said, my battery croaked this year, due to a lighting faux pas three years ago and I got a smoking deal on a replacement with a great warranty at Advance. No battery snob here, and couldn't justify the AGM, either. We'll see what time brings.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general

Went with this. They had $20 off internet coupon going on. Cost me $148. Remember when batteries were $50?!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Autocraft was my second choice.
I wasn't downplaying battery tenders...they serve a purpose.
I guess my main point was to point out there are great products out there that don't cost your first born male child.And if people would do their own research and not simply follow the leader.....they would be better off.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #5
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi

There was another brand I cannot recall that you could order through your local Home Depot. May have been Exide? It was AGM and really reasonably priced but everyone was out of stock on them and any recent reviews had gone sour. I guess they had run into a manufacturing issue.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
I never use battery tenders, and I have 3 cars, 1 truck, and 4 motorcycles. If the battery dies you need to get out more. My vehicles will sit for up to a couple months and still fire up every time.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #7
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
We have stored vehicles for years, the Camaro is parked about 70 miles away but we get to visit it a few times during the winter. I connect the battery charger to the Camaro each time we visit and we still have the factory battery. I keep a battery tender on the 4 wheeler to make sure it starts in the winter for plowing.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom And Cheryl View Post
We have stored vehicles for years, the Camaro is parked about 70 miles away but we get to visit it a few times during the winter. I connect the battery charger to the Camaro each time we visit and we still have the factory battery. I keep a battery tender on the 4 wheeler to make sure it starts in the winter for plowing.
The factory battery lasts the longest.