Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #127
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Borla mid-pipe with all cats in place.
Holy hell that's loud for still having the secondary cats in place!
staples87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #128
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
Secondary cats are not like a resonator or anything. It's really not going to change that much either way. Both cars will wake the dead on cold start. This video they were warmed up already. Corsa was louder on WOT and AWE was louder at idle.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #129
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
The secondary cat removal does add some bark at cold start and at WOT. Did back to back test on my Z06 which is effectively the same setup (Both have Corsa Xtreme axle back with secondary cat delete X Pipe (60606 on ZL1 and 14784 on Z06)). The ZL1 is louder, Z06 is a bit deeper. The biggest reason I did the mid-pipe 60606 on ZL1 was because it doesn't require cutting of the stock exhaust.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #130
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
I know videos never do exhaust systems justice... But with that being said both exhausts sound pretty good. The Kooks sounds amazing to me, The AWE sounds perfect for me not wanting drone, and Corsa I'd have to hear in person. If the AWE sounds monstrous, then Corsa's monster is wearing an Armani suit. I'd have to hear it in person, not hating on it but it sounds different and I'd like to judge in person as quite a few people love Corsa.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #131
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliveguy5 View Post
I know videos never do exhaust systems justice... But with that being said both exhausts sound pretty good. The Kooks sounds amazing to me, The AWE sounds perfect for me not wanting drone, and Corsa I'd have to hear in person. If the AWE sounds monstrous, then Corsa's monster is wearing an Armani suit. I'd have to hear it in person, not hating on it but it sounds different and I'd like to judge in person as quite a few people love Corsa.
There's at least 4 people I know of off the top of my head that run Corsa on their ZL1s in our area so if you regularly attend the local car meets and Woodward nights, should be very easy to hear one.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #132
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
There's at least 4 people I know of off the top of my head that run Corsa on their ZL1s in our area so if you regularly attend the local car meets and Woodward nights, should be very easy to hear one.
When it's time to bring the cars back out I will shoot you a PM. I actually haven't attended any of the events except the South Lyon show a couple of times in the summer. Knowing when and where these are would be great as I'd like to meet the rest of the Camaro community here in the Metro D so I'll reach out when we can safely drive our Z's again!

Thank you for mentioning that as well!
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #133
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Update. Got the Borla 60608 Resonator installed today, pretty simple job. Tamed it down quite a bit. I’ll be clear, it didn’t CURE the issue, not at all. It narrowed the drone range down from about 1,700-2,300 to about 1,700-2,000. I won’t say it didn’t help, because it helped big time, I’ll say it was worth the money. Next step is to sound deaden the trunk.

https://youtu.be/ljv59DQ5QBQ

2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #134
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Update. Got the Borla 60608 Resonator installed today, pretty simple job. Tamed it down quite a bit. I’ll be clear, it didn’t CURE the issue, not at all. It narrowed the drone range down from about 1,700-2,300 to about 1,700-2,000. I won’t say it didn’t help, because it helped big time, I’ll say it was worth the money. Next step is to sound deaden the trunk.

https://youtu.be/ljv59DQ5QBQ
Thanks for the update. I plan on doing some sound deadening myself during my time off near Christmas.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #135
JonDaddy82

UPDATE TIME!

To recap on my predicament:

Installed Kooks axleback and Borla 60606 midpipes on my M6 car.

LOVED the sound, but the drone was bad enough to have a man committed in an asylum.

Bought and installed the Borla 60608 resonator to help, which it did, just not enough.

Not wanting to give up on this exhaust, I did more research before throwing in the towel and ordering a Borla or AWE axleback. Found many G8 threads about J-pipes. After reading a ton and getting an Excel spreadsheet of various lengths of pipe needed to quell harmonics at certain RPM’s from an old LS1Tech thread, I took the spreadsheet and some pictures of J-pipe’d 5th Gen Camaros to my shop and let them work their magic.

Results?

Houston, we have lift off!

This is was I was HOPING for all along. Great deep tone, pure muscle car, without my teeth buzzing out of my head. Now to those buying this system for an M6 car, I’ll say don’t even think about it without your installer fabbing some J-pipes to go with it. Also, you MAY be able to get away without using the Borla 60608 resonator, but since it’s already bought and paid for I’m just going to leave it. Only downside I can see is, my ultra wicked cold start CRACK seems to be gone for the most part. The volume of the exhaust isn’t changed, just “purified”. Here’s some pics of their work. Pipes measure right about 27.5 inches.
Attached Images

2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 12-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #136
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Wow you're committed, I respect that. That's some nice fab work. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #137
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
UPDATE TIME!

LOVED the sound, but the drone was bad enough to have a man committed in an asylum.

Bought and installed the Borla 60608 resonator to help, which it did, just not enough.

Not wanting to give up on this exhaust, I did more research before throwing in the towel and ordering a Borla or AWE axleback. Found many G8 threads about J-pipes. After reading a ton and getting an Excel spreadsheet of various lengths of pipe needed to quell harmonics at certain RPM’s from an old LS1Tech thread, I took the spreadsheet and some pictures of J-pipe’d 5th Gen Camaros to my shop and let them work their magic.

Results?

This is was I was HOPING for all along. Great deep tone, pure muscle car, without my teeth buzzing out of my head. Now to those buying this system for an M6 car, I’ll say don’t even think about it without your installer fabbing some J-pipes to go with it. Also, you MAY be able to get away without using the Borla 60608 resonator, but since it’s already bought and paid for I’m just going to leave it. Only downside I can see is, my ultra wicked cold start CRACK seems to be gone for the most part. The volume of the exhaust isn’t changed, just “purified”. Here’s some pics of their work. Pipes measure right about 27.5 inches.
Glad it worked out for you! I am going to add some sound deadening to that cheap flimsy heat shield that was right above the suitcase muffler. I am thinking that will remove some of the buzz from the drone. I don't mind the drone with the A10, just can't stand the rattle that comes sometimes near the speakers. Once the weather turns back to window down weather, it will be a non-issue regardless.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #138
JonDaddy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Wow you're committed, I respect that. That's some nice fab work. Glad it worked out for you.
Welp, I will say it's been quite the saga and WAY more expensive than a value-priced axle back should have ever ended up. At this juncture though, it'll be nice to be the only person with this specific sound at a Cars & Coffee, track events, Camaro Fest, etc.

SO, if someone wants to take this exhaust on, here's some pro tips:

1. Definitely have the installer fab up J-pipes

2. Maybe leave the mid pipes alone?

3. Buy an A10 car?

As long as you make these arrangements ahead of time, this is still a very value-priced axle back. I think the only reputable brand of exhaust that's cheaper is MBRP, and those kits don't even have mufflers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Glad it worked out for you! I am going to add some sound deadening to that cheap flimsy heat shield that was right above the suitcase muffler. I am thinking that will remove some of the buzz from the drone. I don't mind the drone with the A10, just can't stand the rattle that comes sometimes near the speakers. Once the weather turns back to window down weather, it will be a non-issue regardless.
I still have that sound deadening I order off Amazon to install, at this point it might just make the car sound a touch nicer in general.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 12-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #139
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
I commend you for not throwing in the towel and now that thing has GOT to sound badass.
jvandy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #140
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
UPDATE TIME!

Results?

Good to hear you stuck with it. Evidently the A10 gets along way better with this exhaust. Though I'm also curious to know how much of a difference the stock midpipe would've made too. So, moving forward I would advise m6 guys wanting this beastly sound to leave the secondary cats initially and see how it sounds, if no power mods are planned. And that's definitely a nicer j pipe job than the MBRP units. Seems much more out of view. And now I know what those things are for.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote