Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #267
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
We will see the 2020 GT500 soon! Exciting to see Ford get back in the game. And with Ford and Chevy dropping so many cars, it is a good omen for the sporty V8 (+hybrid ) coupes (and possible 4 doors?) we love. Will it have the PDK and the 6 speed? The PDK if it has auto mode may be the very best auto/manual compromise. Even in the A10 ZL1 it is not much fun using the paddles. Even so the A10 convinced me to give up on manuals for now.

I am wondering where the new GT500 will fit in. Over 700 HP but 4,225 pounds? My loaded A10 ZL1 with a sun roof is 3,915 pounds with over 1/4 tank of gas and some crap in the car.

I am thinking the 2020 GT500 has to be a little faster than the Hellcats. But behind the Demon. But only if Ford avoids the built in bog Chevy handicaps the ZL1 with.

With the latest Mustang GT PP2 and the GT 350 we know Ford can make it handle. But will the GT500 stay with the ZL1 on a race track? I do think the ZL1 1LE will remain the ponycar track king.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25516/very-first-2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500--be-auctioned-off-for-charity

The GT500 will have the Tremec 7 speed DCT, much better than the 10 speed auto Ford and GM developed. GM needs this transmission to stay competitive
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #268
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Will surely be, what...25K over a ZL1? will be North of a Zl1's price point for sure and that's just the MSRP forget about ADM.
Oh for sure, I've had a deposit on one for awhile, but dealer is talking $20-30K over MSRP lmao... hard pass if so. My ZR1 #156 was bought at MSRP and I would never throw that much money at a car knowing that is just FU money going straight into the owner's pocket. Made me laugh talking about the blue collar worker's supercar fighter. GTFO... likely $80k fully optioned plus another $30k on top? These will all end up in heated garages and brought out on Cars & Coffee Saturdays if the detailer stopped by the afternoon before to knock the last few weeks dust off of them.

Love the front end
Love the hood
Love the supercharger (despite Dodge and GM already using it so that part makes it a little boring to me)
Love the DCT (provided they don't have the Focus woes of their DCT past)
Love the beefed up performance architecture
Love the exposed carbon wheels and other bits
Love the big exhaust outlets

Only things I'm displeased with:
1. Not enough changes past the nose/hood as I'd have liked to see some beefier fenders/quarters and something from the back separating them more.
2. That boring wing! I LOVE a nice big wing like my ZR1, but this wing just looks too generic for me. I really loved the look of the GT350R wing, but this almost looks like a Z06 wing on stands or any ricer wing on ebay lol

It does leave the door wide open for me to do some aero to it though like our ZTXL ZR1 inspired wing! Our ZLX and ZLXL wings will be ready for the Camaro market next month too, but the question is do I offer a ZR1 looking version as well?

WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #269
Syphon23

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Half a second in the 1/4 faster is pretty significant.
Where are you getting a half a second from.. Ive seen stock ZL1s on stock tires run 10s.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #270
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
The only two things that excite me about it are the DCT and the B&O Audio option.

I see no mention of an E-Diff or advanced traction/stability control programs. IMO, those are two things that makes the Camaro so great.

I also noticed that they are keeping with the MRC, which Ford does not use as good of algorithms as GM does. When it comes to MRC, it is all about the algorithms that set the damping curves and performance. GM just does it better than Ford.

Give me a 2SS 1LE with a DCT please!!! and I will be even more of a happy camper than I am already.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #271
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Agreed. I am surprised they don't have an official HP figure yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphon23 View Post
They are prob still tweaking them.
Ford’s head of Performance said pretty much exactly that in an interview he was having with American Muscle (picture below). Yours truly was eavesdropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Can we, for a moment, comment on how jaded the automotive community has become?

"Mid 3 second 0-60, sub 11 seconds, 7 speed DCT with over 700 HP....not impressed"

Meanwhile only 7 years ago it was *very* impressive when the 2011 Camaro and Mustang were running mid 12 stock and the ZL1 was hitting 12 flats stock.
This ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
Like it so far.............
And this ^^. The one thing about the car that I DON’T LIKE is the fact that the “shifter” is a dial instead of a floor mounted shifter. I would think that guys coming out of a manual would want the option of shifting a floor shifter or the paddles. As it is manual shifting will only be with the paddles.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #272
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
So, Ford doesn't refuse their manual fan.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #273
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
Oh for sure, I've had a deposit on one for awhile, but dealer is talking $20-30K over MSRP lmao... hard pass if so. My ZR1 #156 was bought at MSRP and I would never throw that much money at a car knowing that is just FU money going straight into the owner's pocket. Made me laugh talking about the blue collar worker's supercar fighter. GTFO... likely $80k fully optioned plus another $30k on top? These will all end up in heated garages and brought out on Cars & Coffee Saturdays if the detailer stopped by the afternoon before to knock the last few weeks dust off of them.

Love the front end
Love the hood
Love the supercharger (despite Dodge and GM already using it so that part makes it a little boring to me)
Love the DCT (provided they don't have the Focus woes of their DCT past)
Love the beefed up performance architecture
Love the exposed carbon wheels and other bits
Love the big exhaust outlets

Only things I'm displeased with:
1. Not enough changes past the nose/hood as I'd have liked to see some beefier fenders/quarters and something from the back separating them more.
2. That boring wing! I LOVE a nice big wing like my ZR1, but this wing just looks too generic for me. I really loved the look of the GT350R wing, but this almost looks like a Z06 wing on stands or any ricer wing on ebay lol

It does leave the door wide open for me to do some aero to it though like our ZTXL ZR1 inspired wing! Our ZLX and ZLXL wings will be ready for the Camaro market next month too, but the question is do I offer a ZR1 looking version as well?

I agree with a lot of these comments. This is going to be an interesting time leading up to this car's release. I would be considering one, but from my experience trying to buy a GT350 early on, ADM's are gonna be a buzzkill for the forseeable future. It definitely could've use a little more work on the styling past the front end, but the front end does look awesome. The standard model without the aero mods would be my cup of tea. There was one there but all the videos only focus on the track pack models. It had different wheels and a duck bill type spoiler. It's awesome to see them bringing a dct to the segment, as long as it proves to be robust and isn't one of the units you end up constantly worrying about maintenance on. I honeslty think the A10 could've handled the same task and saved some cost, but I know they probably wanted to be unique in that way. From the sound clips, the thing sounds like a monster.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #274
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq5jPvxdaZAI just watched a video about the gt500, and the guy said the gt500 was a step faster then the 350r. Isn’t the zl1 a step faster? So that would mean it won’t even be close to the zl1 1le.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #275
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
It doesn't have the suspension to take over top spot from the 1LE

I was thinking this. I don't see the 500 overtaking the Zl1 1LE on a road course. The only reason it would is because of the DCT. If it comes in at 4200 lbs, that's 200-300 lbs more it's carrying around as well. I guess we will see.

Someone above said it's going to dominate the Zl1 varients. Don't think so. It will fall in line and rightfully so.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #276
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
Looks like ford is playing catch up to Chevy on this one. Ford finally has a real competitor for the ZL1 and ZLE. No doubt it’s a nice looking car that will perform, but I’m a GM guy thru and thru. One thing I don’t like is when car companies put a fake huge grill on cars and then block it off on the inside. That’s one of my favorite things about the ZL1. It’s all open for more air!
the obviously blocked off fake grill looked like hell on the GT350. I surprised they didn’t learn and avoid it on the GT500.

Even the SS does the open grill right. Every square inch is used including the sides for auxiliary coolers.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #277
Syphon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
the obviously blocked off fake grill looked like hell on the GT350. I surprised they didn’t learn and avoid it on the GT500.

Even the SS does the open grill right. Every square inch is used including the sides for auxiliary coolers.
That SS actually doesnt look bad. If you do it right the 19 SS can look good.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #278
Syphon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Ford’s head of Performance said pretty much exactly that in an interview he was having with American Muscle (picture below). Yours truly was eavesdropping.

This ^^

And this ^^. The one thing about the car that I DON’T LIKE is the fact that the “shifter” is a dial instead of a floor mounted shifter. I would think that guys coming out of a manual would want the option of shifting a floor shifter or the paddles. As it is manual shifting will only be with the paddles.
That is awesome you were there!
Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #279
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
I was thinking this. I don't see the 500 overtaking the Zl1 1LE on a road course. The only reason it would is because of the DCT. If it comes in at 4200 lbs, that's 200-300 lbs more it's carrying around as well. I guess we will see.

Someone above said it's going to dominate the Zl1 varients. Don't think so. It will fall in line and rightfully so.
A ZL1 is currently faster than a GT350R around several tracks with pro drivers. ZLE is faster yet.

IMHO, the GT500 will make up some of that with horsepower, and wider rubber but it's still handicapped by the S550 chassis which is just not as good as the Zeta. It will also put a lot more weight over the nose than the GT350, which won't help.

I expect the weight will be right at 4000lbs, another nail in the coffin, and I noticed no diff cooler was mentioned in the release materials. Considering PP2s are cooking their diffs, if Ford left it out on the GT500 that's a major fail.

I love the looks of the car, though as some have said, the rear end needs some spicing up to match the front. The interior, unfortunately, still looks cheap... and the rotary 'shifter' is not at all attractive.

Ultimately, the price and ADM will kill it. I'm expecting early adopters to be paying $95-100k OTD.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #280
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
A ZL1 is currently faster than a GT350R around several tracks with pro drivers. ZLE is faster yet.

IMHO, the GT500 will make up some of that with horsepower, and wider rubber but it's still handicapped by the S550 chassis which is just not as good as the Zeta. It will also put a lot more weight over the nose than the GT350, which won't help.

I expect the weight will be right at 4000lbs, another nail in the coffin, and I noticed no diff cooler was mentioned in the release materials. Considering PP2s are cooking their diffs, if Ford left it out on the GT500 that's a major fail.

I love the looks of the car, though as some have said, the rear end needs some spicing up to match the front. The interior, unfortunately, still looks cheap... and the rotary 'shifter' is not at all attractive.

Ultimately, the price and ADM will kill it. I'm expecting early adopters to be paying $95-100k OTD.
I thought I read you could get a diff cooler with the car. I'll try to find it.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote