Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Drives: 2012 SW L99 2SS/RS
Storage and battery question

Hey all! Just a quick back story before the question. Im in the military and currently in Afghanistan. I put my car in storage back late Dec. '13. For the first 3 or so months, my wifes brother in law was able to be there. He started it and let it idle for a little while maybe twice a month. I honestly dont know if he drove it or not lol. Hopefully for his sake no.

After about the 3rd month, he moved and before he left he disconnected the battery. Now the questions are, should my car be ok even though its been probably around 5 to 6 months without being started? Should the battery be ok? The tires? Anything else I should be concerned about?

I know I screwed up by not buying a battery tender/stabil for the gas.... or getting an oil change before storage. Not to mention right before it went in storage I took a long drive from Texas to CA and then back to Texas, so im sure it definantly couldve used one.

What I plan on doing when I get back is taking it to th dealer and getting it inspected and getting an oil change while im there. Another question regarding the battery, since ive never messed with it before (plus I had no idea it was in the trunk lol) when I go to reconnect it, will I need any tools or anything? Im assuming its got nuts and bolts over the terminals.

I just want to make sure and have peace of mind that when I get home, the car will be ok. Especially since I plan on doing a cam ASAP ! Thanks for any replies, will be much appreciated.

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
PFADT Tri-Y Long Tube Headers
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Circle D 3800 Torque Converter
Tuned by Southwest Speed
Beckmann2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
I have cars that are not driven often. For this reason, I use trickle chargers. This is what you should have installed on the car before you left. It maintains a trickle charge into the battery, keeping it always fully charged. The whole unit costs about twenty dollars, and it's easy to hook up. On two of my classics, I have the charger installed inside the hood permanent so that all I ever have to do is plug in, or unplug before driving.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
I have cars that are not driven often. For this reason, I use trickle chargers. This is what you should have installed on the car before you left. It maintains a trickle charge into the battery, keeping it always fully charged. The whole unit costs about twenty dollars, and it's easy to hook up. On two of my classics, I have the charger installed inside the hood permanent so that all I ever have to do is plug in, or unplug before driving.
I do realize I shouldve bought a battery charger before I put her in storage. I didnt expect the person taking car of my car while I was gone would move, that way he could just plug her in. Got any input on some of my questions?

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Tuned by Southwest Speed

Last edited by Beckmann2420; 08-29-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Pcschwenke

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Rally Yellow
I plan to use a battery tender as well this year but, didn't last year. It was in storage for 6.5 months without issue.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcschwenke View Post
I plan to use a battery tender as well this year but, didn't last year. It was in storage for 6.5 months without issue.
Well that makes me feel good. Does anyone know with the battery if ill need some tools to reconnect it?

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Tuned by Southwest Speed
Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
pickwithaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckmann2420 View Post
I do realize I shouldve bought a battery charger before I put her in storage. I didnt expect the person taking car of my car while I was gone would move, that way he could just plug her in. Got any input on some of my questions?

No, you don't want a battery charger... you want a battery TENDER. A tender provides a trickle charge that will keep your battery charged and healthy. That said, it is not used to charge a battery. You will most likely need to take your battery out (it is in the trunk wheel well where a spare normally would be) and take it over to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts, of some such similar store, and have them (1) check the battery for you, and (2) charge it. Charging will take some time. As far as tools... The battery has battery cable connectors on it, yes... you will need standard tools as you would use removing any battery terminal connector.

For your question if your tires will be okay... Check them. Do a tire pressure check on each and adjust with an air compressor if any of them are low.

How much gas was in your tank? Gasoline can go bad. Did you add some stabilizer to it before you parked it last year?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

Old 08-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Quote:
No, you don't want a battery charger... you want a battery TENDER. A tender provides a trickle charge that will keep your battery charged and healthy. That said, it is not used to charge a battery. You will most likely need to take your battery out (it is in the trunk wheel well where a spare normally would be) and take it over to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts, of some such similar store, and have them (1) check the battery for you, and (2) charge it. Charging will take some time. As far as tools... The battery has battery cable connectors on it, yes... you will need standard tools as you would use removing any battery terminal connector.

For your question if your tires will be okay... Check them. Do a tire pressure check on each and adjust with an air compressor if any of them are low.

How much gas was in your tank? Gasoline can go bad. Did you add some stabilizer to it before you parked it last year?
Im aware as to the differences in a tender and charger. Was a typo in my 2nd post. Thanks for the advice though man. Just gonna have to do some careful planning when I get back because that is my only car. Dont want to have to make buddies take unnessecary trips with me to get my car going by needing different tools etc.

Like I said in my first post no I didnt add any stabilizer which I should have. Honestly I dont even remember how much gas was in the tank. I think it mightve been almost empty.

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Tuned by Southwest Speed
Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
pickwithaustin

Running the car should not be any issue. If it were me, and the tank was not full, I'd add more gas to it to 'dilute' any old stale gas still in there. Maybe add some Seafoam to it (that stuff's saved my life before). Have the battery checked and charged - the auto part stores will do it for free. Once it's up and running, go get the oil changed. I've had cars that sat for years and other than the gas, battery, and oil, I have not worried about anything else on them -- at least not immediately. Good luck with it! You should not have any issues.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Quote:
Running the car should not be any issue. If it were me, and the tank was not full, I'd add more gas to it to 'dilute' any old stale gas still in there. Maybe add some Seafoam to it (that stuff's saved my life before). Have the battery checked and charged - the auto part stores will do it for free. Once it's up and running, go get the oil changed. I've had cars that sat for years and other than the gas, battery, and oil, I have not worried about anything else on them -- at least not immediately. Good luck with it! You should not have any issues.
Thanks for the help man. I cant wait to get back and drive her!

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Tuned by Southwest Speed