Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Interesting owner perspective on z/28 and GT350R (wonder if this guy is on the forum?

I re-watched the Motor Trend show down between the GT350R and Z/28. In the comments section there is a guy (Ryan Lewis) who has both cars and has never been able to match his Z/28 times in the GT350R. He mentioned that he spent an entire day at Willow Springs trying to match or beat his Z/28 time, but that the closest he got was 1.57 seconds. He also stated that one thing they don't tell you in the vid is that the Mustang must come off track every 3 laps due to oil temps rising into the 240 range. There are great points made about tracks & driving style favoring different cars and it's very interesting to hear the perspective from the real world vs. a mag.

To save everyone one time...here is the commentary...am interested if Ryan is on this forum? Would love to hear more on this from him.

Ryan Lewis4 days ago
I own both cars, road coarse race my GT1 class car in scca road coarse racing. But I have never been able to run better numbers in my gt350r then my 2015 z28. Both cars are stock from the factory. Don't know why they chose chuckwalla race way to test the cars. That coarse was designed and built for motorcycles! Awful for any true track car. Would not surprise me the advantage would go to the car that is more narrow. As for the breaking, you would have to be a marron to believe that the brembo carbon ceramics were out performed by their lesser model. But as for all that, both cars are amazing and if you love road coarse racing you can never go wrong with either one. If you need to see better by the way adjust the seat and mirrors don't be stupid.

Jeffrey Williams2 days ago
That's interesting to hear about your times about Z28 and GT350. I don't why they chose Chuck either. Maybe it's because Ford had both model out here. I was wondering do you rely on the electronics on track in both cars??? Randy doesn't like to have them on. Could be why Z28 is having some traction problems. The Camaro in video does have some pretty rough miles on it. MT claims something like over 10,000 miles are on it from being in their fleet for a yr.

Ryan Lewis2 days ago
+Jeffrey Williams I honestly switch them on and off. I run mostly off when I get the tires hot. I will say this though, the Z28 usually takes an extra lap to get the tires hot. But both cars are very very fun to drive. but taking both cars to Willow and California speedway often. I just don't see the laptimes beating the Z28.

Jeffrey Williams2 days ago
+Ryan Lewis Thanks for responding. Randy had me for awhile till I saw the recent Motorweek video of GT350R squirreling around in the corners. I'm not saying he's lying only using another point of reference. Now you come along and crash the party,lol. Could it be your driving style favors the Z28. I'm no expert or track driver but to me the wider front of the Z28 should give it better corner entry speed. Then there's the track alignment. MT took down the track data on the review. When C&D releases their times at VIR this yr we should get a better reference on GT350R to Z28. I'm aware of different tracks do favors different cars.The Z28 first test at Barber is the perfect example. Everything about that track fits the Z28. Couldn't get that thru many in the video. Most cried all is bias and not fair.

Ryan Lewis1 day ago
+Jeffrey Williams I'm sure its all politics at the end of the day, which ever manufacturer pays more for advertisement will get the better review. And as far as the stance of the car, the shelby seems to make up the difference with wider fronts, but the brakes on the Z28 allow me to dive deeper in the corners. The suspension setup on the Z28 I feel is just touch better as well. As for the driving style its a possibility but I don't think so. I spent an entire day at Willow Springs trying to beat my best time in the Z28, and the time in the shebly was 1.57 seconds slower then the Z28. Another thing they did not talk about was that every three hot laps you have to come off the track in the Mustang because the temp is creeping into the 240's.

Ryan Lewis1 day ago
+Jeffrey Williams I'm sure its all politics at the end of the day, which ever manufacturer pays more for advertisement will get the better review. And as far as the stance of the car, the shelby seems to make up the difference with wider fronts, but the brakes on the Z28 allow me to dive deeper in the corners. The suspension setup on the Z28 I feel is just touch better as well. As for the driving style its a possibility but I don't think so. I spent an entire day at Willow Springs trying to beat my best time in the Z28, and the time in the shebly was 1.57 seconds slower then the Z28. Another thing they did not talk about was that every three hot laps you have to come off the track in the Mustang because the temp is creeping into the 240's.

Jeffrey Williams23 hours ago
+Ryan Lewis I aware of the cooling issue. R&T found that out in the GT350R 1st test sadly. Had to take her off with the Z06 due the the sky high temps. R&T did have a similar issue with a Z28 at Thermal. I'm assuming you don't have that problem. The younger host in video did come from R&T last summer. Must say your points go against all in the video. Their praising the Mustang shocks and your doing the total opposite lol. It is why I don't total buy into these videos. You just don't know what their trying to hide. I'm not surprise to hear about your points about the Z28 brakes but the shocks comment is somewhat surprising. I made the driving style comment because Randy doesn't speak for every track driver. Some may not like some body roll. I find it odd you can't at least match or come close to your Z28 time.Under braking is where you are losing time in GT350R. Maybe that's where the Z28 favors your driving style.

Ryan Lewis23 hours ago
+Jeffrey Williams Yeah now that I think about it, your 100 percent right. I even looked through some video and even in my GT1 class car I deep brake most of the turns when I'm really pushing the car. I'll have to switch that up and drive more fluid like next time and see what I can do in the shelby. I run again mid june in indy with my GT1. But now I really want to trailer the Z28 and the Shelby too and see what time I can turn now that you have me re thinking things lol

Jeffrey Williams23 hours ago
+Ryan Lewis Hopefully that helps but how long will those Shelby brakes pads last?? I guess you will find out at some point.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
One of the key statements he mentioned that is true was how much the manufacturers pay for advertisement. I learned that lesson quickly in my 4 wheel ATV off road racing days.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
Talking

It's interesting how passionate people are discussing the one or two second lap time differences between these two cars from RT and people on the forum. I went to a local car show the other night and although there were a good amount of people looking at my car and discussing it with me the GT350 R had rock star crowds around it. While I watched in amazement at all those people around the mustang it occurred to me that he paid 20k over sticker for his car and I paid 21k under for mine for a car that may or may not be a second faster around a road coarse. Depending on who u speak to
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonroeZ28 View Post
It's interesting how passionate people are discussing the one or two second lap time differences between these two cars from RT and people on the forum. I went to a local car show the other night and although there were a good amount of people looking at my car and discussing it with me the GT350 R had rock star crowds around it. While I watched in amazement at all those people around the mustang it occurred to me that he paid 20k over sticker for his car and I paid 21k under for mine for a car that may or may not be a second faster around a road coarse. Depending on who u speak to
People are always more interested in the hot new thing. I probably would've been over looking at the R as well as I've not seen one in person. Doesn't mean I'd even consider the idea that it's better than the Z.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Very interesting...
Old 05-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I could only imagine if he told this story on the Mustang forum. Very interesting indeed!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
XTREMZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #891
The Z28 won the Pirelli World challenge race at Lime Rock today. Mustang in 4th place.
XTREMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #8
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I think it was the older stick axle 302R model and not the GT350R.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I think it was the older stick axle 302R model and not the GT350R.
Def the 302R and not the GT350R...
Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREMZ View Post
The Z28 won the Pirelli World challenge race at Lime Rock today. Mustang in 4th place.
Did you see it? I was there in person. I was like there was one Blackdog racing Camaro in damn near last place and then I saw the other one in second on the grid. I didn't realize there were using Z28s now and was like damn that car looks killer, what is it? When the race started the second place car took the lead and stayed there . Those cars in red made by SIN has stock LS3 engines in them and are lighter and still the Z28 car did that well. Made me proud to have my Camaro. Oh the same team of that SIN car told me that the Katech tech told them to run Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic in their race car so guess the 30 weight works after all. I'll be tracking my car with either Amsoil 10w30 Zrod or Dominator from now on and am also interested in running the Blackdog wing on the back.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #11
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Def the 302R and not the GT350R...
A Roush deal. S197 Mustang GTs with Gt350R intake manifold, tune and 3" exhaust. I asked the teams about their cars when their were being worked on. The Green Mustang was putting out around 435+ whp and weighed around 3200lbs without driver. There was also an S550 with that same engine setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by L99CAMA2011; 05-29-2016 at 10:37 PM.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:26 AM   #12
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
Who cares about that ugly ass ford how about some Camaro pictures
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote