Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
Parts Peddler

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS
What's my actual gas tank size?

Today, I was driving home from my granddaughter's cheer-leading competition. I knew I was close to having just enough gas to get home. My GPS said I was 63 miles from the gas station near my home. My fuel range said 57 miles. Knowing that about 62 of the 63 miles remaining were freeway, I knew I would gain enough range to make it to the gas station. My low fuel warning came on when I had 35 miles to go per my GPS and 45 miles left on my range. When I got to the gas station and filled up, I expected my car to take very close to the full capacity of the gas tank, 18.8 gallons as per the owners manual. I could only get 16.5 gallons into the car. That means I had 2.3 gallons left in the tank when I stopped. Is there a "reserve" portion of the tank that isn't registered on the fuel gauge? My calculated mileage equaled my mileage on the DIC. Any idea why I could only get 16.5 gallons into my tank?

Thanks in advance.
Parts Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:56 AM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Yeah, the DIC always low balls it; I guess for unexpected conditions.

My Ultra-Gauge plugs in the OBDII and always displays a greater DTE, but I'm pretty sure it uses instantaneous MPGs.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:36 AM   #3
Superdonkey23

Drives: BRM 2014 SS/M6
It's to ensure that you won't run out of gas and destroy your fuel pump.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Parts Peddler, your gauge is right, as is your WARNING light. the last 5 chevys have all been the same, and I did a little test when I first got them. Knowing what the fuel capacity was, I filled them up to the top.....and proceeded on my normal routine. as soon as the LOW FUEL light came, I pulled into the nearest gas station, and then I knew of a fact, how much gas I have left when the light came on....and it has always been in the 2.5 to 3 gallons left.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
What is the lowest number your DIC shows? Has anyone got it into the single digits? Not that this is a challenge, Ive never allowed mine to get below 1/4 tank. just curious
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Mine has never gone below 30 miles, and at that point it just says LOW RANGE. Usually it triggers at 50 miles or so.

I try not to ever get below 1/4 tank, because fuel acts as coolant for your fuel pump. I don't want to have to replace mine.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
CamaroFred

As shibbs states the DIC won't display the DTE once the Low Fuel warning comes on. Kinda sucks.

My Ultra-Gauge will display to single digits, but that would mean 1/2 gallon or so. I've run mine pretty low (teens), but I usually only pump a 1/2 tank driving locally during summer (two weeks worth), and never have much less than 1/4 in winter or highway trips.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Mine has never gone below 30 miles, and at that point it just says LOW RANGE. Usually it triggers at 50 miles or so.

I try not to ever get below 1/4 tank, because fuel acts as coolant for your fuel pump. I don't want to have to replace mine.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If I remember correctly, after the warning chime and the LOW FUEL message displays, if you hit the 'Reset' button (or whatever it's called), the message clears, and the DIC will then show you the range (miles left). I've done this, but never have pushed it below 30 or so miles... I've always been on my way to a gas station when this happens.
Then again, I may be thinking of how it works on the 2012 Acadia, since the wife usually leaves it pretty low on gas!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #10
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
If I remember correctly, after the warning chime and the LOW FUEL message displays, if you hit the 'Reset' button (or whatever it's called), the message clears, and the DIC will then show you the range (miles left). I've done this, but never have pushed it below 30 or so miles... I've always been on my way to a gas station when this happens.
Then again, I may be thinking of how it works on the 2012 Acadia, since the wife usually leaves it pretty low on gas!
May be a firmware change. I have a 2011, shibbs a 2012.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Yeah, the DIC always low balls it...
I don't care who you are...that's funny right there.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
sef6

Drives: ZL1 '14, Tahoe '13
My 2¢: '14 ZL1. I had poured injector cleaner into the tank, and was trying to run it low to remove as much as possible before next fill. After the needle hit the red mark, the warning came on. According to the "trip info", I had 34 miles range. I drove about 20 miles before getting to a station, filled it with 16.54 gallons. Rechecking the computer, using projected range divided by mpg, it said I had 20.1 gallons.
Conclusion? At ¼ tank, get gas.
sef6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sef6 View Post
My 2¢: '14 ZL1. I had poured injector cleaner into the tank, and was trying to run it low to remove as much as possible before next fill. After the needle hit the red mark, the warning came on. According to the "trip info", I had 34 miles range. I drove about 20 miles before getting to a station, filled it with 16.54 gallons. Rechecking the computer, using projected range divided by mpg, it said I had 20.1 gallons.
Conclusion? At ¼ tank, get gas.
2014 ZL1 fuel tank cap = 18.8 gallons. Straight from the owner's manual or a quick google search.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
it really sucks when your car gets 8-9 miles to the gallon... when your 'low fuel' light goes off, I have less than 20 miles to get to a gas station.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote