Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Camaro Tail Light Blackout Covers

GTS 2014-2015 Camaro Tail Light Blackout Covers

"The GTS 2014-2015 Camaro Smoked Tail Light Blackout Covers give your Camaro a stealth and stylish appearance from behind the car. With a no drill installation, the covers feature easy on/easy off mounting and a limited warranty".

Reading over todays threads I found the above thread where "2014-2015 Camaro Smoked Tail Light Blackout Covers" are being sold. Cost is $59.78. Before you go out and spend your hard earnt money you best check not only your State laws but also your local County laws. Failing to do so could add a significant amount of money to your purchase. Federal laws set the minimum standards, however, majority of the States increase those standards based upon their unique locations and weather patterns. You might find your self legal in one area, travel to another and get a summons and tow job!

A significant portion of the States DO NOT allow tinted taillights or decorative covers, as they do reduce visibility. There as been law cases where the owner of a vehicle with tinted/decorative covered taillights was rear ended and was charged criminally as well as a civil law suit from the individual who rear ended them due to decreased visibility.

You first spend your hard earned money on decorative covers then you get a traffic violation with the possibility of having your vehicle towed. After this you decide to heck with this I am going to sell them. Again you could be opening yourself to civil liability as YOU now know these are illegal in your area and failed to disclose this.

Usually most vendors will have a one liner telling you to check your local laws or stating these or for show and not go. Problem is that description is far below the pictures that catches your eye and sells you on the item.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Rons1le

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE AGM
Also they will rub the paint on your bumper cover. Causing damage like the factory spoiler does to trunk lid on 2014-15 SS models.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2015 2SS RS 1LE NPP/w Kooks headers, Procharged, ID1050X injectors, Katech belt tensioner, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, BMR subframe connectors, Matco driveshaft loop, AEM Wideband/Boost/Fuel gauges , Z/28 Splitter and Spoiler/w Wicker bill, Power Stop rotors and brake pads, MRR Z/28 Rep Wheels 20" w/p zeros 285 fronts and 305 rears, ZL1 addons Rock guards and Tow hook, Rear window louvers, Flags on the quarter windows and the moonroof, Billet aluminum door handles.
Rons1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Provadan

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
I bought a set for my 2015 SS with the RS lights. They were way too tight and I scraped the plastic piece above the tail light and the cover. They sit in a box in my garage. Don’t waste your money.
Provadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
I've seen people tint their tail lights so dark, you couldn't tell their parking lights were even on. As you approach them on a dark country road. It definitely can be a real issue. I never really understood form over function when it came to mods.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
I've seen people tint their tail lights so dark, you couldn't tell their parking lights were even on. As you approach them on a dark country road. It definitely can be a real issue. I never really understood form over function when it came to mods.
Even though items you purchase may say "for off road use only" vendors could still end up being liable in civil court. One case from years back, 16 or 17 year old Missouri high school student operating his motorcycle when he drove into the back of a pickup truck. The operator of the pickup had recently tinted his taillights with a can of Sherwin Williams tint paint. This paint reduced the lights by at least 50%. Truck had been inspected several days earlier by the owner's friend. In this particular case Sherwin Williams was not found negligible, however, the owner of the truck, the young man that performed the inspection along with the garage settled out of court for nearly 2 million.

The tragedy of this event is the young man on his motorcycle was only 17 years old and is now confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
Vec
Tejas Hillbilly

Drives: 15 SS 2SS/RS LS3M6
I wouldnt make it around the block here without being stopped with those on...
Old 08-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I got the Bigworm Gun Smoked ones and they are really nice. Not too dark but enough to give the appearance without loosing the purpose of what the lights are to do.

joe...
Attached Images

Last edited by GodWentPunk; 08-22-2019 at 04:35 PM.
GodWentPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Those smoked ones don't look bad. I never quite understood why anyone would want to run the really dark covers out on the street. I fear people rear ending me the way it is with the stock lights let alone having some dark covers over them.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote