Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
Tunamanz

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
ELITE E2-X Dual Valve Catch Can Install Videos - GEN5 V8 and V6

Finally getting around to posting install videos of the Elite E2-X Dual Valve Catch Can Install. These videos were taken during the install on my 2014 1LE and 2011 V6.

Huge thanks to Steve @ Elite Engineering for putting together the group buy and to everyone that was able to participate.

Enjoy!

2014 Camaro 1LE video:
https://youtu.be/rpAzRGw46eg

2011 Camaro V6 video:
https://youtu.be/JCWrjtqnS5k

www.EliteEngineeringUSA.com
Tunamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
There is nothing I love more than catch cans!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
There is nothing I love more than catch cans!
I believe u, your Avatar is catch cans too, Lol

That's a strange primary hobby there dude, but hey, whom am I to say,
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I believe u, your Avatar is catch cans too, Lol

That's a strange primary hobby there dude, but hey, whom am I to say,
Its what gets me up every morning!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
Daves1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunamanz View Post
Finally getting around to posting install videos of the Elite E2-X Dual Valve Catch Can Install. These videos were taken during the install on my 2014 1LE and 2011 V6.

Huge thanks to Steve @ Elite Engineering for putting together the group buy and to everyone that was able to participate.

Enjoy!

2014 Camaro 1LE video:
https://youtu.be/rpAzRGw46eg

2011 Camaro V6 video:
https://youtu.be/JCWrjtqnS5k

www.EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Daves1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
Camaro1LS
Camaro1/LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
Can someone explain to me what a catch can does? I'm not really savy with this kind of stuff.
Camaro1LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1LS View Post
Can someone explain to me what a catch can does? I'm not really savy with this kind of stuff.

The term "Catch can" is a bit of a misnomer as catch can is merely a container that catches liquid from overflowing or spilling. It has been also used to describe PCV oil separating devices, and that is where there is a huge disparity in actual function and effectiveness. All engine have PCV systems that perform several tasks, and one of those is pollution control by evacuating vapors from the crankcase into the intake air charge to be burned in the combustion process and further in the catalytic converters. The problem is the oil vapor and other contaminants that are also present in these vapors cause issues. The most obvious is the oil contained. Oil does not burn clean or at the same rate as gasoline, so any oil contaminating the A/F mixture is disrupting the combustion process resulting in less power released, carbon and varnish buildup on the pistons and the rings, and with GDI engines (gasoline direct injection) severe intake valve coking and the related issues this causes not seen since the 1960's and 70's.

So, you never want oil present in the combustion chamber.

There are also several other compounds that cause issues as well, water, unburnt fuel, sulfuric acid, and abrasive soot/carbon/ash particles that cause wear to the moving parts. A proper oil separating "catch can" system will separate and trap these contaminants, and prevent them from being ingested. The problem is most "catch cans" only trap a small portion of these compounds, so most sold today are little more than "Placebo's" as all will trap some oil, so the end user assumes they are stopping it all when only a few actually stop most of the oil and other compounds. The Elite E2-X series being the most effective on the market (test challenges are currently offered to test ANY cans effectiveness in comparison and most will be surprised the can they thought was good only traps less than 50% of these) with the E2 coming in well above most others, and the original E1 can still more effective than most any similar priced can.

The "mix" that is caught most of course be drained and properly disposed of at regular intervals, generally every 2-5k miles but all engines produce different amounts depending on how well rings seated in that critical first few hundred miles, etc.

Then Elite also has a solution for the "Clean" or "fresh" side of the PCV system, the billet CSS or cleanside separator. (This can be added to any catchcan for an improved solution), and above all, the Elite systems all maintain a emissions compliant closed system legal for street use.

The dual valve systems can be configured to ALWAYS pull suction/vacuum on the crankcase also greatly improving ring seal and reducing blow-by unlike a "breather" system that allows pressure to build and then vent a portion of it always leaving pressure in the crankcase, etc.

That is the condensed version, but we have a ton of other information if needed to educate and dispel the many inaccurate misunderstanding out there on the forums, etc. Fully understanding these systems is crucial to making the right choice and actually understanding all the critical functions the PCV system performs, and the damages of defeating or deleting them.

Keep asking questions all and we will do our best to be the only source needed to get an accurate education on PCV systems, proper crankcase evacuation, and catch cans for ANY application.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Camaro1LS
Camaro1/LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
The term "Catch can" is a bit of a misnomer as catch can is merely a container that catches liquid from overflowing or spilling. It has been also used to describe PCV oil separating devices, and that is where there is a huge disparity in actual function and effectiveness. All engine have PCV systems that perform several tasks, and one of those is pollution control by evacuating vapors from the crankcase into the intake air charge to be burned in the combustion process and further in the catalytic converters. The problem is the oil vapor and other contaminants that are also present in these vapors cause issues. The most obvious is the oil contained. Oil does not burn clean or at the same rate as gasoline, so any oil contaminating the A/F mixture is disrupting the combustion process resulting in less power released, carbon and varnish buildup on the pistons and the rings, and with GDI engines (gasoline direct injection) severe intake valve coking and the related issues this causes not seen since the 1960's and 70's.

So, you never want oil present in the combustion chamber.

There are also several other compounds that cause issues as well, water, unburnt fuel, sulfuric acid, and abrasive soot/carbon/ash particles that cause wear to the moving parts. A proper oil separating "catch can" system will separate and trap these contaminants, and prevent them from being ingested. The problem is most "catch cans" only trap a small portion of these compounds, so most sold today are little more than "Placebo's" as all will trap some oil, so the end user assumes they are stopping it all when only a few actually stop most of the oil and other compounds. The Elite E2-X series being the most effective on the market (test challenges are currently offered to test ANY cans effectiveness in comparison and most will be surprised the can they thought was good only traps less than 50% of these) with the E2 coming in well above most others, and the original E1 can still more effective than most any similar priced can.

The "mix" that is caught most of course be drained and properly disposed of at regular intervals, generally every 2-5k miles but all engines produce different amounts depending on how well rings seated in that critical first few hundred miles, etc.

Then Elite also has a solution for the "Clean" or "fresh" side of the PCV system, the billet CSS or cleanside separator. (This can be added to any catchcan for an improved solution), and above all, the Elite systems all maintain a emissions compliant closed system legal for street use.

The dual valve systems can be configured to ALWAYS pull suction/vacuum on the crankcase also greatly improving ring seal and reducing blow-by unlike a "breather" system that allows pressure to build and then vent a portion of it always leaving pressure in the crankcase, etc.

That is the condensed version, but we have a ton of other information if needed to educate and dispel the many inaccurate misunderstanding out there on the forums, etc. Fully understanding these systems is crucial to making the right choice and actually understanding all the critical functions the PCV system performs, and the damages of defeating or deleting them.

Keep asking questions all and we will do our best to be the only source needed to get an accurate education on PCV systems, proper crankcase evacuation, and catch cans for ANY application.
Cool thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm trying to keep my car in the best condition I can so I'll definitely be looking into getting one of these.
Camaro1LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
mxfan127

Drives: 2011 S/C CAMARO
Any deals going on these right now? I need something better then the stock IPF set up for my 2011 SC'D V6 thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mxfan127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Tunamanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfan127 View Post
Any deals going on these right now? I need something better then the stock IPF set up for my 2011 SC'D V6 thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send a PM to Elite and see if there are any deals going on now.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunamanz View Post
BUMP!

Thanks for the well written and posted videos to help clarify the installation for many forum members.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
gdheri

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
group buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Thanks for the well written and posted videos to help clarify the installation for many forum members.

do you still have group price available for Elite e2-x. I want one
gdheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #13
Tunamanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdheri View Post
do you still have group price available for Elite e2-x. I want one
PM Elite and see what they can do for you. Never hurts to ask!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #14
Tunamanz

Transferred my Elite E2-X to my new 2015 Camaro 1LE.
Attached Images