Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Trying new detail techniques

I spent the last few days detailing my cars. Iím an old school guy so I wanted to try working with relatively new methods.

First I tried using a cheap Walmart foam gun to do the initial wash. Basically you get what you pay for - it made very little suds even with a lot of wash. Since I was going to do a full detail with clay I wasnít that concerned about how effective it was but I did follow up with the normal two bucket method. I ordered the Gilmore foam gun for future use and hopefully that one will work a lot better, especially based on the reviews.

(Got the Gilmore foam gun today. As always, you what you pay for. This thing is a solid tool and actually only cost about $20 more than the Walmart junk.) As the saying goes, ďBuy cheap, buy twice!Ē

Next thing was using synthetic clay. It took some getting used to but it proved its worth when I accidentally dropped it. With real clay I would have basically ruined the bar but with the Groitís synthetic clay I just rinsed it off and kept going. It also was a lot quicker without the need for folding the clay constantly.

I also wanted to experiment with different detail products. For the compounding and polishing I decided to try Meguiarís Mirror Glaze line, which is supposedly for more experienced detailers, on one car and Meguiarís Ultimate line on the other. The results were very good on both but the Ultimate was definitely easier to work with.

For the waxing part, again I used Meguiarís products but I wanted to try using liquid wax instead of paste which Iíve used for years. I tried applying the wax with my Harbor Freight DA polisher, which I also used for the compounding and polishing. While I was ok with liquid, I didnít think the machine did as well a job as applying it by hand. Liquid is definitely easier to apply and remove than paste.

I used HF pads versus the better Groitís pads. Again, you get what you pay for. I basically had to use two HF pads for every Groitís so the cost savings was negated and the Groitís is still good to go.

Overall Iím very satisfied with the results and learned a few new time saving techniques. As is always the case, you get what you pay for when it comes to some products.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Long Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold and Missed
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 09-30-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Shawn1244

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT
Great work!

I use polishing pads Lake Country, I bought it ones and never change my mind, their products are great.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1244 View Post
Great work!

I use polishing pads Lake Country, I bought it ones and never change my mind, their products are great.
Thanks! I figured there had to be a better source of good but economical pads.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Long Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold and Missed
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
DonM
This is my 3rd Camaro

Drives: All black '13 LS-M6 / Darth Camaro
I use a Porter Cable DA polisher with Meguiar's thin pads & get great results. If you're going to stick with OTC products, you should seriously give the Turtle Wax ICE line of products a look, QUALITY and effective!

Check out my post: "A Turtle Wax Detail" to see what the Clean Finish Polishing Compound and Seal N Shine can do to a neglected finish - NOT a Camaro, but I mention my Camaro in the post so it's cool LOL

DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
what a great review, i appreciate it.

MODS: VARARAM CAI, Catch Can, 1 LE front/rear sway bars, engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut bar, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
Cheap Guy

Finally got a chance to use the new foam gun, experimenting on daughterís car first of course. The car hadnít been washed since the beginning of summer and included Silly String all over it and other teenage girlie stuff that they do to cars.

The foam gun worked really well. Is it as good as a foam cannon? Iíd say obviously not but it definitely made enough foam to do a really good job AND it didnít use a lot of car wash product. I had it set at the 3 setting to save soap but the towards the end I put it at the highest setting and it didnít seem to use much more soap but kicked out a lot more foam. It definitely made washing the car a lot quicker.

I also tried a technique recommended by the YT talkative Dallas guy where he doesnít use the two bucket method. Instead he uses multiple mitts and rinses them off between the washing portion. When I saw it it just made a lot more sense than dunking your mitt back in a bucket and the foam gun makes it really easy to rinse the mitt.

After the wash I did a quick claying with the Groit synthetic clay and a quick waxing with the Meguiarís Quick wax.

Overall, it came out pretty good - definitely better doing this than watching the Lions lose again.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 10-20-2019 at 06:27 PM.