Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #71
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy87 View Post
This seems to go against the conventional way nls works. Why would you want your target rpms to be higher than where you shifted from given the next gears required rpm will be lower. So in his example you shift at 5k hit 6400rpm and drop it into the next gear it's still going to provide some serious drivetrain shock where as aftermarket nls units kill power momentairly so that when you hit the next gear your rpms are right where they should be wheb you let off the clutch. But hey on the bright side it's been confirmed and we can put this one to rest!
At the track in a SS, you'd shift at 6400rpm (or very close to that) and the engine speed will stay there during the shift with the intake throttle full open in order to maximize intake manifold pressure / air flow so you can get full power immediately after the shift is completed.

Without this feature, you'd typically back off the accelerator pedal during a shift, intake throttle will close (reducing intake manifold pressure and air flow), so when shift is completed it will take longer to get back to full power.

This algorithm is a good idea, especially on boosted applications!

I hope Al and team answer all the questions in this subforum with that level of detail!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #72
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
This seems to go against the conventional way nls works. Why would you want your target rpms to be higher than where you shifted from given the next gears required rpm will be lower. So in his example you shift at 5k hit 6400rpm and drop it into the next gear it's still going to provide some serious drivetrain shock . . .
Up to this point, that's dragstrip thinking, as long you're not too worried about the shock breaking anything. That shock represents a momentary impulse - or more accurately a recovery of torque from decelerating everything ahead of the clutch disc. Rotational inertia times angular deceleration becomes a torque applied against the now slower-rotating clutch disc - which is then additive to the basic amount of torque coming out of the engine. It's a very brief effect, but it's enough to win a few races that might be lost otherwise. Chevy's NLS is more in line with speed shifting and powershifting.

Quote:
. . . where as aftermarket nls units kill power momentairly so that when you hit the next gear your rpms are right where they should be wheb you let off the clutch.
But this line of thought is consistent with road course and most street driving where avoiding unnecessary driveline shock is far more important in the long run.

Norm
Old 12-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #73
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Awesome!

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #74
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Up to this point, that's dragstrip thinking, as long you're not too worried about the shock breaking anything. That shock represents a momentary impulse - or more accurately a recovery of torque from decelerating everything ahead of the clutch disc. Rotational inertia times angular deceleration becomes a torque applied against the now slower-rotating clutch disc - which is then additive to the basic amount of torque coming out of the engine. It's a very brief effect, but it's enough to win a few races that might be lost otherwise. Chevy's NLS is more in line with speed shifting and powershifting.

But this line of thought is consistent with road course and most street driving where avoiding unnecessary driveline shock is far more important in the long run.

Norm
The benefit to me aside from not having drivetrain shock was keeping the throttle blade open to avoid blowing off all the boost getting into the next gear. It seems like the way the NLS feature is being described here is exactly how how any car with a manual would work if you shifted it without lifting lol. I'm not seeing how its any different than taking a 1995 civic out and no lift shifting it except that the Camaro apparently holds it like 200 rpm's from redline
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #75
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
This is so funny, I think if you need a NLS feature you shouldn't be trying to shift your car fast. If you are hitting the limiter your shifting too slow and should stick to normal shifting.
just my .02
Old 12-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #76
51FIFFT

Quote:
The benefit to me aside from not having drivetrain shock was keeping the throttle blade open to avoid blowing off all the boost getting into the next gear. It seems like the way the NLS feature is being described here is exactly how how any car with a manual would work if you shifted it without lifting lol. I'm not seeing how its any different than taking a 1995 civic out and no lift shifting it except that the Camaro apparently holds it like 200 rpm's from redline

You hit the nail on the head!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #77
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm6gto View Post
This is so funny, I think if you need a NLS feature you shouldn't be trying to shift your car fast. If you are hitting the limiter your shifting too slow and should stick to normal shifting.
just my .02
Sounds like you are a great driver. Good for you.

The feature provides a safety net that otherwise wouldn't be there and you will always get full power on the next shift and never hit an abrupt rev limiter. If you can start a powershift at ~6450rpm and have the clutch disengaged before the rev limiter/fuel cutoff (if the car didn't have NLS), then that's great, but it's good to know there's a safety net there just in case. NLS also essentially allows you to execute the powershift later (at higher engine speed) than you otherwise could without it. Depending on the engine's powerband and especially in boosted applications, this can be a very useful tool.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #78
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I personally think NLS is an awesome feature.
Much like the factory rev limiter, a design element engineered into the car to help performance while protecting the mechanical components.

Some of you guys might not be old enough to remember cars without rev limiters, and the damage done by accident or inexperience.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #79
51FIFFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I personally think NLS is an awesome feature.
Much like the factory rev limiter, a design element engineered into the car to help performance while protecting the mechanical components.

Some of you guys might not be old enough to remember cars without rev limiters and the damage done by accident or inexperience.

Rev limiter is nice to have. I did happen to grow up with the older cars and if you missed a gear the results could be catastrophic. My dad was a muscle head and I was lucky to grow up wrenching on cars. You can no lift shift most manual cars if you know what your doing.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #80
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Can we put this thread back on sticky status? that way it won’t get lost
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #81
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Can we put this thread back on sticky status? that way it won’t get lost
We're one step ahead of you!

There is a new "Index" thread in the stick section (link below) that we'll update each time a question is answered...that way, when we have dozens of these things asked and answered, none of them will get lost yet we don't have to make the sticky area crazy-long.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517951
Old 01-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #82
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Oh you went and did something schmaaahhhtt <central scruitinizer voice>

very nice
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #83
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I just tried this and it works great and adds another level of fun to this car! Not sure how useful it would be on a road course unless you had a long straight
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #84
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I just tried this and it works great and adds another level of fun to this car! Not sure how useful it would be on a road course unless you had a long straight
That's about it. Point and shoot!

Rev-Match is a godsend on the track.