Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Domangue418

Drives: 2013 camaro SS
Are Granatelli wires worth the $

Hey guys Iím new to all this. I really wanted colored spark plug wires and the their name pulled up. They are by far not cheap and my car isnít stock. How long do they last and do I need to do the coils or can they wait? Car has 43k and is a 2013. Trying to learn how to post pics!! LOL
Domangue418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
Spec

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
These look amazing and really pop under the hood. I've been wearing this TAYLOR set with this great set of BOSCH plugs for a while now without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
Domangue418

I will spend the money if I have to for better performance and longer life. Just needed confirmation on is it a must or not. Right now I’m 471 to the wheel. Will figure out on posting pics when wife wakes up
Old 08-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
Spec

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Good peace of mind for me. Car feels and idles great at 158.9k.

Don't go cheap on these things. Misfires suck.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
There are some cars on here that are built by knowledgeable companies pushing more power than you are, running on stock wires. So imo, it is totally not needed.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Domangue418

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Most are fine with stock wires, getting the money worth out of product with zero ohms impedance is more power than at your level, the post of if they are worth the money is the funny part, you can look at the videos of Granatelli comparing wires with a impedance tester made by MSD and look at the results, how much it matters in the end is really due to the level of a build, most will never need better coil or wires, but if a person does really want every little bit of power down the road....they adjust things like heat ranges of plugs, coils and wires etc etc etc...….

As our wires are only a foot long its not much impedance for what eve usually but you could find some aftermarket are actually worse than stock.....

Here one independent review....

Many say yada yada yada....but aftermarket is usually the way to go for wires if your going to spend money on wires anyway, but don't expect any real power gain on a mild build stock coil plug set up..... https://www.ssforums.com/forum/vendo...ock-print.html Money is usually best spent by those that research the most...….
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr, Powermaster xs 9509 starter, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Crossfire wheels & extreme contacts, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
If you are at the point where you are indexing your plugs, you might need fancy wires. To be blunt, most people buy that stuff for the look- and that's ok. What's funny is when people buy something for the look and won't admit it, then make up claims that it's all about the power. I've had countless people tell me they can "feel" the difference on mods that really did nothing. If you want the look, go for it...
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domangue418 View Post
Hey guys Iím new to all this. I really wanted colored spark plug wires and the their name pulled up. They are by far not cheap and my car isnít stock. How long do they last and do I need to do the coils or can they wait? Car has 43k and is a 2013. Trying to learn how to post pics!! LOL
I think there are much better wires out there for the money. Just my opinion.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Juiced1

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We sell Taylor and MSD wires for about $75 a set. I don't think there is any reason to spend more. They will never add any power unless you are replacing a bad wire to begin with. Most important thing is they they don't rest on your headers and burn up.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3/A6
I have first hand experience with them.

I praised these wires for the 2.5 years I had them working great. Removed them multiple times for plugs or other services without a hitch...until recently.

Blew my L99 in June. While tearing my engine down, I tried removing the number 5 plug wire and the terminal came off the wire and got stuck in the coil. I have always had plug wires fail at the plug end, never at the coil end. This kinda pissed me off as these cost me over $180.

I bought a set of $60 Hinson wires on Amazon to replace them. Not installed yet, but they look a quality wire. Not sure of resistance. Moral of the story, I will never spend that much on a set of plug wires again. Not really sure why I did to begin with, except for maybe buying into the hype.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Heads milled .015, Melling HV 10296 Pump, TSP Longtubes (Catless), X-Pipe, FM Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 Catch Can + GM 1LE Clean Side Separator, Hinson Wires/NGK TR6IX Plugs, 160* Stat, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Hawk HB453Z.585 Performance Ceramic Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel, ZL1 Add-Ons Wicker Bill Spoiler, SLP Front Splitter - Megan Racing Adjustable Coilovers, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s - LS3 Swap Complete!!! Breaking in w/ VR1 10w-30
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
Domangue418

Wow guys. Everyone is well said. Yes I’m going for the look but if I can spend a little more to help I will. Love the input and yalls time on this. I may just go MSD then
Old 08-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #13
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS
Do you just have money to blow? OEM wires are realistically all you need...

R2C Cold Air Intake / Apex Race Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / Z28 Replicas in rear / 1LE Suspension / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Transmission Dipstick
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #14
Domangue418

Like I said I was going for look at first. Car has 44k on her. I will change at 50k. Every thing I have read says change between 40-60. Plugs were changed at motor build which was at 39k. I bought the car with 38500. I’m anal since I don’t want to wait until something major. All the little things add up trust me.