Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #225
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Please do not email or Facebook Al about this.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
I think they are simply wanting to get the definitive word on if a catch can voids their power-train warranty. Some get their car serviced and the dealer is all "thumbs up, you got a catch can". Others, like you are getting denied, or scared to put one on.

I have a DI 6, so, no way I am removing mine. I don't have too much left on my power-train warranty, but if I had an issue, trust me, I would make their life a living hell until it was made right.

We're keeping your issue on the down-low while the mucky-mucks decide what to do with that 4,000 lb paperweight in your driveway.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #226
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
So we have heard nothing from anyone at GM yet other than the Customer service response? I thought there was some communication?

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #227
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
So we have heard nothing from anyone at GM yet other than the Customer service response? I thought there was some communication?
There is ongoing communication that I am not privy to. However at this point making a bigger stink might hurt, rather than help the OP. So I guess it's kind of like a time-out. At least that's my take on it....
Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #228
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
There is ongoing communication that I am not privy to. However at this point making a bigger stink might hurt, rather than help the OP. So I guess it's kind of like a time-out. At least that's my take on it....
So the OP has his car but in pieces at his residence, I think that is what I last read. Not knowing what has been discussed, I would pursue it anyway possible, even posting on Facebook, but that is JMHO. If there has been some communication started, and they are going through the hoops, I probably give it some time. This just seems to be taking too long.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #229
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
So the OP has his car but in pieces at his residence, I think that is what I last read. Not knowing what has been discussed, I would pursue it anyway possible, even posting on Facebook, but that is JMHO. If there has been some communication started, and they are going through the hoops, I probably give it some time. This just seems to be taking too long.
Yeah, my wife says we are a bunch of pussies. lol
Old 05-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #230
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This goes beyond just catch cans and onto things like cold air intakes, coolant tanks etc. The line from the top has always been "No modifications if you want warranty", especially when talking about track warranty. Other car makers tow this line to the tee without question and so does GM.

It's been a general consensus that certain mods like catch cans, catback exhaust and cold air intake installed correctly will not void warranty. This mis-conception happened from our collective experience at the service departments and resonates to this day except it's never "truly" been the case. Once a major issue like this one is escalated, the company line is adhered to and here we are.

Heck I had a supercharger replaced for a bearing squeal, during a time when I "considered" my car bone stock. I had catback, CAI and catch can. Many others had the same. Then we all go tell the next person that these mods that won't void your warranty and pretty soon it's just the norm. I've told many people that a CAI with no tune won't void your warranty. Boy was I wrong. Now I think I owe GM some money.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #231
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Heck I had a supercharger replaced for a bearing squeal, during a time when I "considered" my car bone stock. I had catback, CAI and catch can. Many others had the same. Then we all go tell the next person that these mods that won't void your warranty and pretty soon it's just the norm. I've told many people that a CAI with no tune won't void your warranty. Boy was I wrong. Now I think I owe GM some money.
How does a catback, CAI, or catch can have any relation to a failed supercharger bearing? Now if you put on an underdrive pulley, or changed the speed of the supercharger, or changed to a different belt tensioner, I can see a no warranty situation occurring with the bearing. I don't think you owe GM anything.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #232
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
How does a catback, CAI, or catch can have any relation to a failed supercharger bearing? Now if you put on an underdrive pulley, or changed the speed of the supercharger, or changed to a different belt tensioner, I can see a no warranty situation occurring with the bearing. I don't think you owe GM anything.
Yeah, that was sort of an exaggeration, but as this is being laid out for us a CAI is a mod and would void engine warranty.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #233
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yeah, that was sort of an exaggeration, but as this is being laid out for us a CAI is a mod and would void engine warranty.
I hear what you are saying, if a burnt valve or piston occurs after installing a CAI I can see an argument and attempt to blame the CAI. If you lose oil pressure different story, unrelated failure to the CAI.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #234
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
I hear what you are saying, if a burnt valve or piston occurs after installing a CAI I can see an argument and attempt to blame the CAI. If you lose oil pressure different story, unrelated failure to the CAI.
Yup... basically give me just a little detail so I'm informed.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #235
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

I am ditching the petition and apologize to the OP if I hurt his chance for a resolution.

I'll also apologize to the 600 people who signed, commented and circualted the petition for wasting their time and efforts.

Thank you for your support, however misguided it may have been.

If you want to keep your warranty from being voided, ditch the mods, any mod. And yes, GM would rather see your Direct Injected engine valves, caked with gunk, than allow you to use benign prevention measures like a catch can to prevent it. Must be why power-train warranties are downgraded to 60k miles now. That's all GM, or any other major maker, expect them to last.

Disposable cars. That's what we are buying. If GM has no faith in their quality, why should we?
Old 05-14-2016, 11:41 PM   #236
RAMTechRob

Drives: 2016 Camaro White 1LT
Yeah, a lot of experts on here who know better than the factory. Maybe they don't want some aftermarket company to determine how long they warranty their engine.
RAMTechRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #237
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I am ditching the petition and apologize to the OP if I hurt his chance for a resolution.

I'll also apologize to the 600 people who signed, commented and circualted the petition for wasting their time and efforts.

Thank you for your support, however misguided it may have been.

If you want to keep your warranty from being voided, ditch the mods, any mod. And yes, GM would rather see your Direct Injected engine valves, caked with gunk, than allow you to use benign prevention measures like a catch can to prevent it. Must be why power-train warranties are downgraded to 60k miles now. That's all GM, or any other major maker, expect them to last.

Disposable cars. That's what we are buying. If GM has no faith in their quality, why should we?

OK what happened? Why did you get rid of the petition and how could it have hurt the OP's chances of resolution?
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #238
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
OK what happened? Why did you get rid of the petition and how could it have hurt the OP's chances of resolution?
The Petition ran it's course and did what it was meant to do. Higher ups are aware and beating the dead horse does nothing to help John at this point. Just need some time now to sort this out.