Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Advice on ZL1 Bumper Conversion

Hey all I'm looking for some advice on a ZL1 Bumper conversion.

I see some from autosource, RPI, Gary's, and Gen5DIY.

What is the difference between the kits and why the huge price difference between them?

I do plan to install this myself and want install and wiring to be as easy as possible. I am also looking to have have a bumper come to me painted instead of taking it to get painted. Maybe that's not advised, but here in Memphis I can expect either a shitty paint job or to get raped on price.

Any help is appreciated!

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 View Post

What is the difference between the kits and why the huge price difference between them?

I do plan to install this myself and want install and wiring to be as easy as possible. I am also looking to have have a bumper come to me painted instead of taking it to get painted. Maybe that's not advised, but here in Memphis I can expect either a shitty paint job or to get raped on price.

Any help is appreciated!
I would suggest having a local shop match it up for best results. I have received some items from couple of guys mentioned in thread and never exact having either flaws or off match. No difference in kits except price.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
Man... im in your exact position right now. Im going to monitor this to see what I should expect to pay.

I have the factory black paint. What do you guys think a shop would charge me to paint the bumper if I got one??
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:

Any help is appreciated!
Don't forget Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet as well. I think some vendors sell genuine GM ZL1 parts while some are replicas and different material. I would recommend genuine GM parts for the conversion. You can, however, substitute a few parts to save some money like similarly styled fog lights on eBay or screws from your local auto parts store. The difference between the kits is how 'complete' of a kit you are looking for. You should look a ZL1 (or some good close-up pictures) for some small details. For the wiring, get it from Gen5DIY. If you plan on doing the installation yourself, I would suggest getting the bumper pre-painted. You also have to consider if you want to match the bumper lines to the stock hood or if you plan on getting a ZL1 hood in the future. It's a real pain in the ass to try and transport a bumper somewhere yourself.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
The inexpensive ones are not OEM. I was told by one of the So Cal vendors they are made in Taiwan.

Maureen at Rodgers, Gen5DIY and Gary's all sell the OEM parts.

Your call of course.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
garys or gen5dyi +1
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
CamaroI

You can always have the bumper shipped to body shop as well. This will sometimes save on shipping costs preventing you from transporting. If you want it to match properly to fenders/hood having local shop paint best bet.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

I may just do that, but I'd really rather do the installation myself. All I can say is that around Memphis....I trust me...I have a hard time trusting very many people or shops around here most of the time.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
CamaroI

Quote:
I may just do that, but I'd really rather do the installation myself. All I can say is that around Memphis....I trust me...I have a hard time trusting very many people or shops around here most of the time.
Always good to find a shop that your trust. Local Camaro club have any sponsers?? You could always order from Maureen and ship to local dealer and have body shop instal.
Mine was painted by local body shop with install less than $500.

FYI if you happen to get pre painted parts be sure to check out in detail!!!! If you notice something once taken out of box and ready to install they will often force you to pay re shipping charges!!!! This happen to me from 2 Vendors mentioned in your thread. This is why I advocate on having painted locally. If there is an issue they can fix it
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

I sent a PM to Becky @ Rodgers and I'm also gonna get in touch with Gary to see what they recommend and can work out for me. I have a buddy that works at a body shop across the street from my work...they fixed my quarter panel back when somebody hit that...just don't know if I want them to do this bumper or not. He seemed apprehensive about working on any aftermarket parts when I had asked him about hoods. Maybe since this bumper will be OEM - GM he won't have an issue.

If I go talk to him about it, should I offer to provide Ofer's conversion harness for the lights or should I let them figure it out themselves? Or should I tell them don't even worry about the lights that I will take care of it?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
Quote:
I sent a PM to Becky @ Rodgers and I'm also gonna get in touch with Gary to see what they recommend and can work out for me. I have a buddy that works at a body shop across the street from my work...they fixed my quarter panel back when somebody hit that...just don't know if I want them to do this bumper or not. He seemed apprehensive about working on any aftermarket parts when I had asked him about hoods. Maybe since this bumper will be OEM - GM he won't have an issue.

If I go talk to him about it, should I offer to provide Ofer's conversion harness for the lights or should I let them figure it out themselves? Or should I tell them don't even worry about the lights that I will take care of it?
I figured out something. All the parts from a GM dealer can be ordered for about 850$

Get it painted for maybe 300$ and the total comes out to 1,100- 1,200$.

Youre gonna be saving almost 275$ from Gary's shop
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
CamaroI

Another consideration with lighting------Do you want ultimate control over the lower fog and upper DRL?? Or do you want them to operate as factory intended?? Another question---Do you foresee ever using a Night Owl type system to control your lighting??

1. If you want ultimate control wire the lower fogs and Upper DRL's to individual switches. This will allow control of what is on/off when YOU want and not how factory intended. Emblem pros makes a great Cup holder switch plate that I use daily for this purpose!! Worth every penny!! Would not need Gen 5 Harness with this type of install.

2. In the future if you plan on using systems such as Night Owls you might want to talk with Gen 5 or Joe from Night Owl to discuss harness. This would allow you to have DRL and lower fog lights to work together. I purchased the harness but only for the purpose to control lights when using Night Owl system at shows.

Kinda Confusing so hope makes sense
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
CamaroI

Quote:

As for shops in your area...I would be looking for shops that specialize in CUSTOM type cars. IE show cars with conversions. Those guys tend to be masters when it comes to working with Hoods and aftermarket parts. Most local Body Shops (which holds true to this area as well) dont want the liability or hassel messing with conversion or specialty type aftermarket products. Too much of a headach and cannot gaurantee fit
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explit Player View Post
I figured out something. All the parts from a GM dealer can be ordered for about 850$

Get it painted for maybe 300$ and the total comes out to 1,100- 1,200$.

Youre gonna be saving almost 275$ from Gary's shop
Yeah that's a good deal, hopefully Maureen and Becky can hook me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
Another consideration with lighting------Do you want ultimate control over the lower fog and upper DRL?? Or do you want them to operate as factory intended?? Another question---Do you foresee ever using a Night Owl type system to control your lighting??

1. If you want ultimate control wire the lower fogs and Upper DRL's to individual switches. This will allow control of what is on/off when YOU want and not how factory intended. Emblem pros makes a great Cup holder switch plate that I use daily for this purpose!! Worth every penny!! Would not need Gen 5 Harness with this type of install.

2. In the future if you plan on using systems such as Night Owls you might want to talk with Gen 5 or Joe from Night Owl to discuss harness. This would allow you to have DRL and lower fog lights to work together. I purchased the harness but only for the purpose to control lights when using Night Owl system at shows.

Kinda Confusing so hope makes sense
I'm not sure if I do plan on doing anything with the Night Owl system. Might change to RGB halos at some point, but I would probably use a wireless controller for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
As for shops in your area...I would be looking for shops that specialize in CUSTOM type cars. IE show cars with conversions. Those guys tend to be masters when it comes to working with Hoods and aftermarket parts. Most local Body Shops (which holds true to this area as well) dont want the liability or hassel messing with conversion or specialty type aftermarket products. Too much of a headach and cannot gaurantee fit
Unfortunately, I don't know of any custom shops like that around Memphis. Guess the google searching begins.