Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #29
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good53X View Post
I think that's the biggest thing people are failing to realize in their comparisons. There have been few, if any, final decisions made as to the end mechanical result of what the Camaro will be. Wheelbase maybe, suspension *type*, sure, but what the spring rates are, or what engine, trans, electronic assists sytems... no way. That all gets to be finalized *later*, which means that potentially EVERY new GM discover could be put into the Camaro at last minute.

It's exciting, methinks
I'm not too sure about that. I think that they have alot of their design decisions made already, or will be finalized in the next few months. They probably know the major mechanical bits by now, the number one thing that they would be holding out for would have been the challenger's setup. GM then only needs to know what to use to top that. The final design of the components needs to be complete by late spring, possibly early summer. That is because of manufacturing constraints. And that includes sheet metal, suspension, interior, options, everything.

Remeber, just because we don't know what's happening doesn't mean that GM doesn't know.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #30
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
Preliminary versus final, I think we're saying similar things

I can't pretend that I understand the actual process of automotive design and production (I understand some, of course), but I would imagine that if GM wants this Camaro to be the best ever, it would definitely leave room for improvement until the end... 'end' being as tentative as I can be for whatever the true 'last minute' is for the production of a plant.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Looking back, it seems as if we all do agree, we just use different wording.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #32
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
:O

And that, my friends, is how wars could be prevented.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #33
$¢'s 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
They bagged on the Corvette for using Leaf springs.
Is your sig Angalina Jolie?
$¢'s 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #34
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Plus, everybody makes fun of domestic performance cars because they can never turn. The New Camaro will end that, or at least shut a few people up
Yeah, but those people will ALWAYS make fun of american muscle.
When you beat them 0-60 by 5 car lengths all you will ever hear is excuses.
Besides, when you see a ricer at a stoplight, how much real turning are you doing anyway? You will usually be so far ahead in the first second that they quit trying.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #35
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
IRS is one of the MAIN reasons I am buying a new Camaro.....I feel sorry for those poor Mustangs once the Camaros are on the street , we will have more Hp and much better handling....does anyone know if the new Challenger will have IRS ???
Though I agree the new Mustang should have an IRS option, my solid axle on my (older 2001) mustang has never given me any problems. At high speeds, the rear end stays stable using 4 gas shocks. And my back tire tread lasts longer since the tires don't move in arcs. Also, nothing to get out of alignment back there. Just four control arms. It IS low tech, but I am glad it works. Also I have hit some pretty bad potholes before and it took the beating and still works fine. On the highway, works great.

I have been kind of surprised that the NEWEST mustang does not have IRS in back. They should design a GOOD system for the mustang because the new mustang sure feels VERY heavy when you drive one. If some engineer does design & install a good system that really WORKS, mustang will be back in the game (in reference to improving the rear suspension to a higher refinement level). They should have an interchangable system at least for the higher performance models. For some reason, I sense the mustang could get even HEAVIER with all the components and bracing needed for an IRS upgrade. Time will tell what happens.

Drag racers probably don't mind the solid axle mustang.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #36
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
^+1
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote