Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #253
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
It makes since that the CTF cars would not have them... the weights are likely a fix to noise reported by the CTF drivers.

btw, I had our noise and vibration lab look at the pictures and they agree that it looks like the weights are meant to change the resonant frequency of the calipers.

but they could think of about 20 better ways to do fix the brake noise.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #254
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
The resonance sounds feasible to me.

Has anyone ever turned a rotor on a brake lathe? Common practice is to strap a rubber belt laden with lead weights to the rotor to prevent "chatter" which is actually a rough cut from the resonance.

Personally, I am just as interested in what GM has planned for a corrective action (if not more) than the reason for why they are there.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #255
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Sorry to keep removing posts, but this is a technical forum, so please keep the discussions technical in nature so members can easily check up on this thread for answers. I understand and share in the frustration of not yet having a definitive answer on this, but let's please keep the color commentary out of here. Thanks.

Tran scares me.

Has anyone considered the possibility that this is just a mistake and they can be removed with no problem? I would just take them off and see what happens. Really, what's the worst that could happen? They can be put back on.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #256
SNOOK

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 Camaro SS
Well, here I go again...second SS (Inferno Orange) delivered to LaRiche Chevrolet in Plymouth and yes they are on it as well. Didn't writhe the vin down but it was in the 3000's. Sorry I haven't gotten an answer yet, but I have faith that it will be reasonable.
SNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #257
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Seems to be isolated to the SS - V8 models with the 4-piston Brembos. The photos posted of the CTF calipers are from the single piston Brembo on the V6 models. See what happens when you "have" to have one bigger than the next guy....
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #258
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHCPA View Post
Seems to be isolated to the SS - V8 models with the 4-piston Brembos. The photos posted of the CTF calipers are from the single piston Brembo on the V6 models. See what happens when you "have" to have one bigger than the next guy....

They both stop in the same amount of distance...it's just about how often you want to do it.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #259
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOK View Post
Anybody know what the deal is on the stack of wheel weights on both front calipers on the 2010 with brembo's? I will try to attach a picture.
Did you try maybe taking it off, maybe its just something from the factory (kinda like when they put plastic on the seats and steering wheel)
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #260
Liberty1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS; 2010
Just saw, today, the first delivered Camaro at Lou Fusz in St. Peters, right out side of St. Louis, and yes it did have the same weights in the same spots; it was an RJT SS/RS.

Meet Black Betty...
Liberty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #261
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Wow, so many posts about such a small thing.

For the record, my GT500 has similar, if not the same, 4-piston Brembo brakes as the Camaro and I have no "weights" on my calipers. I've also had no vibration or squeal at any point during the 23K miles I've driven the car.

I sure hope the answer is a good one. The last thing GM needs is a bunch of bad press about the Camaro for whatever reason.

Totally different bodies and hardware. What might work on one might not work on the other without modification or add-ons.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #262
BoleroRed67

Drives: Red 1967 Camaro SS
A newbie here, but I had to chime in. These really appear to be dampeners attached to the calipers to silence a squeal. I am truly amazed at the negative comments here, and especially over at Jalopnik on this.

The new Camaro is literally in its infancy and there are going to be issues that pop up. At this point, GM probably has thousands of calipers which can either be scrapped or salvaged. These dampeners are surely a work-around which will allow GM to save many thousands of dollars in scrap. You can bet a true fix is already in the works, but it can literally take months before a supplier can incorporate manufacturing changes.

No one complains about wheel weights, which correct issues with tire balance. No one complains about sound deadening attached to interior of the trunk which dampen noise. No one complains about rubber bumpers in the glove box that silence rattles.

Why is practically invisible harmonic dampener on a brake caliper such a big deal?
BoleroRed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #263
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleroRed67 View Post
A newbie here, but I had to chime in. These really appear to be dampeners attached to the calipers to silence a squeal. I am truly amazed at the negative comments here, and especially over at Jalopnik on this.

The new Camaro is literally in its infancy and there are going to be issues that pop up. At this point, GM probably has thousands of calipers which can either be scrapped or salvaged. These dampeners are surely a work-around which will allow GM to save many thousands of dollars in scrap. You can bet a true fix is already in the works, but it can literally take months before a supplier can incorporate manufacturing changes.

No one complains about wheel weights, which correct issues with tire balance. No one complains about sound deadening attached to interior of the trunk which dampen noise. No one complains about rubber bumpers in the glove box that silence rattles.

Why is practically invisible harmonic dampener on a brake caliper such a big deal?

probably because no other car has weights on their brakes calipers and all the other things you mentioned are normal.

Last edited by fdjizm; 04-22-2009 at 05:20 PM.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #264
BoleroRed67

Drives: Red 1967 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
probably because no other car in the world ever had weights on their brakes calipers and all the other things you mentioned are normal.
Well... we accept the other things as normal because their the easiest solution to solve the respective problems. All of the things I mentioned could be engineered out, but it's obviously not practical for mass production.

I'm not sure that we can say no other car in the world ever had something like this. Who knows, maybe no one ever noticed.

If it is a fix for a NVH problem, GM sould be applauded for at least recognizing the problem, and taking steps to correct it. My 2008 Impala squeals like a mother, and I would be happy to have a solution for that.
BoleroRed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #265
richardhoggard
VIN 2G1FJ1EJXA9102937

Drives: Everyone knows what I drive!
Quote:
Well... we accept the other things as normal because their the easiest solution to solve the respective problems. All of the things I mentioned could be engineered out, but it's obviously not practical for mass production.

I'm not sure that we can say no other car in the world ever had something like this. Who knows, maybe no one ever noticed.

If it is a fix for a NVH problem, GM sould be applauded for at least recognizing the problem, and taking steps to correct it. My 2008 Impala squeals like a mother, and I would be happy to have a solution for that.

When your men get home and face an anti-war protestor, tell them to look in his eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she is dating a wuss. - General Tommy Franks

richardhoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #266
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by camkid54 View Post
Gentlemen As far as the brake weights go I heard from a fellow in the GM plant, the brakes were squeeling and by weighting the calipers the squeel went away Brembo has, since then sent a new batch of calipers to correct this problem Hope this helps
Why does everyone keep dismissing this post.

Quote:
My 2008 Impala squeals like a mother, and I would be happy to have a solution for that.
Well if nothing else, you have a solution for it now. Lead wheel balance weights.