Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
First gear lurch/lag

This has bugged me from the first time I drove my car. When I am in first going from a full stop at a low to normal speed the car hesitates and then lurches forward when the clutch is about 3/4 of the way released.

When I am at a place where I can go faster I give it more gas and all is well. But when I am behind someone at a stop sign or stop light it always heaves forward. My kid makes a comment everytime!

If this is just part of the deal then I can live with it, but if there is something I can do I will do it tonight!
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
If this is the same program that the automatic uses, your car (computer) attempts to match the engine speed with the vehicle speed. It almost never matches up quite right, it just lurches forward like you say. You are expecting the classic downshift resistance of deceleration but what you get is the opposite. It’s in the programming. Crazy, I know. Why, I’m not sure.

I think they ‘attempted’ to avoid the decel lurch where you go forward. But what they created was you going backwards!
Old 04-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I have it too. Two things that helped are lower gear ratio and aluminum driveshaft. What makes it more annoying is when the Prius in front of you wants to drive like it's trying to hit 70mpg.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
It has a name and has been discussed here before. Seems odd that it can’t - or doesn’t, get tuned out with a tune mod. I’m tuned but it’s still there.

Update: apparently it’s called, “rev hang” or rev matching And can be Googled, etc...
Old 04-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Mine does it...mostly when cold. The other half of the time it's the 2 piece drive shaft and drivetrain slack. Also, it something you had to work around when cammed.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Rev-Hang...awesome. Well I can add gears and driveshaft to the wishlist.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I am not sure what you are talking about. When my car had the stock cam I had no issue at slow speeds. With the rough idle cam I get lurching at very low rpm but that is the nature of having a cammed car. You can raise the rpm higher and slip the clutch a little more if needed. Not sure if your car is cammed or not. If it's not you may need a better tune. If it's cammed you are feeling the lurch of the rough idle
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about. When my car had the stock cam I had no issue at slow speeds. With the rough idle cam I get lurching at very low rpm but that is the nature of having a cammed car. You can raise the rpm higher and slip the clutch a little more if needed. Not sure if your car is cammed or not. If it's not you may need a better tune. If it's cammed you are feeling the lurch of the rough idle
Not cammed...yet. I have played with throttle/clutch combinations with my feet to make the slow acceleration smooth. Occasionally I get just the right mix, but mostly I either rev the engine to high and everyone around looks over like, “where do you think your going?” Or I creep and then the rev-hang hits like I jumped a curb.

It is just a thing, I think I am at the end of what my current tuner will do for what I paid. Waiting for another mod to find another tuner. Going to back to my original tuner and get a street tune. Probably after my cam. He also has a dyno and I might throw down the cash to get a real rwhp number verified.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Not cammed...yet. I have played with throttle/clutch combinations with my feet to make the slow acceleration smooth. Occasionally I get just the right mix, but mostly I either rev the engine to high and everyone around looks over like, “where do you think your going?” Or I creep and then the rev-hang hits like I jumped a curb.

It is just a thing, I think I am at the end of what my current tuner will do for what I paid. Waiting for another mod to find another tuner. Going to back to my original tuner and get a street tune. Probably after my cam. He also has a dyno and I might throw down the cash to get a real rwhp number verified.
Sounds like a tune issue, I never had any issue like that on stock cam. It drove like stock before I added the cam. I would pay Jannetty to do your tune.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:21 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
This has bugged me from the first time I drove my car. When I am in first going from a full stop at a low to normal speed the car hesitates and then lurches forward when the clutch is about 3/4 of the way released.

When I am at a place where I can go faster I give it more gas and all is well. But when I am behind someone at a stop sign or stop light it always heaves forward. My kid makes a comment everytime!

If this is just part of the deal then I can live with it, but if there is something I can do I will do it tonight!
I'm thinking that your tune may need to have throttle tip-in response dialed back a bit. Too aggressive + forced induction may be throwing too much response at you when you're driving gently, but may not be ramping up as fast when you're running harder.

Norm
Old 05-02-2021, 05:14 AM   #11
hudson773
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
sounds to me that you are not pushing in the clutch soon enough when you come to a stop. rev hang and rev match are 2 different things. the only common denominator is "rev"
hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
JuniEdith

Drives: VW
Most probably it is an issue with the transmission fluid .Check the transmission fluid level first. Low fluid can prevent the transmission from shifting properly. It’s important to find out why the fluid is low and fix any problems. It could be a leaky seal or other mechanical defect. Otherwise, adding new fluid won’t ultimately solve the problem.
Transmission fluid that has aged and lost some of its frictional properties can also lead to poor shift quality. When your vehicle’s computer tells the transmission to shift gears, hydraulic pressure squeezes a series of plates together inside a clutch pack to connect the engine to the transmission output shaft and route power to the wheels.

Last edited by JuniEdith; 07-20-2021 at 10:01 AM.
JuniEdith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #13
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniEdith View Post
Most probably it is an issue with the transmission fluid .Check the transmission fluid level first. Low fluid can prevent the transmission from shifting properly. It’s important to find out why the fluid is low and fix any problems. It could be a leaky seal or other mechanical defect. Otherwise, adding new fluid won’t ultimately solve the problem.
Transmission fluid that has aged and lost some of its frictional properties can also lead to poor shift quality. When your vehicle’s computer tells the transmission to shift gears, hydraulic pressure squeezes a series of plates together inside a clutch pack to connect the engine to the transmission output shaft and route power to the wheels.
Pretty sure he has a manual.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote