Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 04-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Astatenate

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Powder coating stock ZL1 - aluminum forged wheels?

My stock ZL1 wheels. I love them. But previous user, obviously didn’t clean them well or didn’t clean them with the right products. Because the paint is severely degraded. I got the tires dismounted. And was planning on dropping them off for powder coating.

But after some research online. I’m seeing aluminum/ especially forged aluminum wheels due to the heat treatment process when made/forged. Re-heating to 400* to bake the powder coating. I’ve read it will weaken the aluminum. Does anyone have opinions on this?
Astatenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Some powder coating compounds can be baked at 250'. I would stick to that, and certainly not exceed 300'.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Some powder coating compounds can be baked at 250'. I would stick to that, and certainly not exceed 300'.
I believe the powder coating process of all local shops are 300-400* but the original anneal process degree is 650* , my powder coater said he's done multiple aluminum, even drag wheels and forged wheels and not had one bring back or failure due to cracks, bends of weakening of wheel due to powder coating. I want to trust him, and I don't really want to paint it again as it did NOT hold up well clearly or previous owner just didn't care for them, which is hard to believe because the paint, body and interior of this car is immaculate.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
JB'sZL1

Well, then go for it. I don't know why you're asking for opinions then.

Just the same, if it were my dime, and what you say is true, have him warranty the integrity of the forged wheels in writing.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
Astatenate

Quote:
Well, then go for it. I don't know why you're asking for opinions then.

Just the same, if it were my dime, and what you say is true, have him warranty the integrity of the forged wheels in writing.
I'm asking for more or so professional answers. There's a lot of this vs. that, but I was hoping for a statement backed up by facts. I don't really see how 350-400* for 10-20 mins will hurt the forged aluminum wheel that's anneal process reaches 650* + , I want to believe the powder coater, but I can also see how it could weaken the wheel being heated so much later after the initial process. Or if improperly done.

But that's a great idea! He said he backs all his work and statements. I'll see if he'll put his money, where his mouth is. Thanks JB!
Old 04-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Astatenate

Quote:
Also just saw you're from WI! That's where I flew into, to buy my ZL1! Flew into Milwuakee and was driven about 40 mins or so to Van Horn Chevrolet! It's in Plymouth, WI . How far are you from there?
Old 04-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
My wheels are PC'd. They've been like that for at least 3+ years (previous owner had them done), and they are holding up just fine for normal street driving.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What I’ve read is the baking process causes artificial aging which leads to embrittlement, but I spoke with my powder coater an he said he’d do whatever I asked, but says doesn’t cause a issue as well. If you think about the wheel manufacture powder coates as well but probably uses a low heat curing powder.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
My wheels are PC'd. They've been like that for at least 3+ years (previous owner had them done), and they are holding up just fine for normal street driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
What I’ve read is the baking process causes artificial aging which leads to embrittlement, but I spoke with my powder coater an he said he’d do whatever I asked, but says doesn’t cause a issue as well. If you think about the wheel manufacture powder coates as well but probably uses a low heat curing powder.
Thanks guys! Think I’m going to drop them off in the morning! I’m just wanting gloss black. My PC guy said he’d back up his work! So we shall see!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #10
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Here are my wheels after powder coating I was concerned about warping but the powder coater assured me it doesn’t get hot enough to warp them. I have ceramic coated the wheels and they are back on the car all good!
Attached Images

Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #11
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatenate View Post
Also just saw you're from WI! That's where I flew into, to buy my ZL1! Flew into Milwuakee and was driven about 40 mins or so to Van Horn Chevrolet! It's in Plymouth, WI . How far are you from there?
Hah! I'm in Milwaukee, and have properties 20 minutes from Plymouth. And...RA is 15 minutes from Plymouth! Yeah!
Old 04-15-2020, 11:12 PM   #12
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou gill View Post
Here are my wheels after powder coating I was concerned about warping but the powder coater assured me it doesn’t get hot enough to warp them. I have ceramic coated the wheels and they are back on the car all good!
Those look awesome Man! Dropped mine off this morning. Should be done Friday!
Just installing my carbon fiber wicker bill and Morimoto tail lights while it sits with no wheels!

Quote:
Hah! I'm in Milwaukee, and have properties 20 minutes from Plymouth. And...RA is 15 minutes from Plymouth! Yeah!
Right on man! Small world kinda lol
Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #13
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
Astatenate, how did the powder coating turn out? I've been considering having mine done as well. Got any pics of the finished product?
Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanch1LE View Post
Astatenate, how did the powder coating turn out? I've been considering having mine done as well. Got any pics of the finished product?
Hey sorry! I don’t have any clear pictures of just the wheel right now! I can get some if you’d like? Or in this post, found here > post #37 , https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=573936&page=3

You can see my radial rear wheel setup and the front wheel is still my factory powder coated wheel!

They turned out great! He had to go a diff route on getting the old crappy factory paint off because he didn’t want to pit or ruin the aluminum. So it took him about a whole day longer. But the final product is amazing. Smooth. Glossy. And I ended up ceramic coating them as soon as I got them back before they went on car. And now brake dust and dirt washes right off!