Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
camarogofast

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Efficient but not crazy loud exhaust - ls3

Hey all. Just bought my first Camaro SS with the ls3. I'd like to open up the exhaust with 3" pipes to let more air run through for some power and better mpgs but I don't want to wake the dead when I'm driving down the road or attract any unwanted legal presences. Not very familiar with what's out there. Anyone have any suggestions?
camarogofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Same as you I wanted power sound but not too loud. I went SW Retro catbacks and am happy.
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
3" is not going to open anything up for more power. In fact you'll see very little if any power gains on a cat back exhaust system.
Headers + tune will add power but also will increase the noise level quite a bit.
Corsa is a great one for keeping things tame (no drone at any level) and excellent for cruising without waking the dead.

Once you start modding further with headers and cam that's when things start to get loud.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have Corsa and it is obnoxiously loud but no drone. Installed the stock resonators back into the pipes to help and it almost did nothing. I have ordered the Flowmaster Force 2 axle backs to see if that will help. If I have to I will install some mini bullets just in front of the mufflers. I also have some 200 cell cats to install in the spring. I'll get this thing under control somehow. Corsa was good until I did the engine work, installed headers and removed the cats, all at the same time.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:23 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
FYI.........this is posted in the V6 section. Should be moved over to the V8 section for more attention.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarogofast View Post
Hey all. Just bought my first Camaro SS with the ls3. I'd like to open up the exhaust with 3" pipes to let more air run through for some power and better mpgs but I don't want to wake the dead when I'm driving down the road or attract any unwanted legal presences. Not very familiar with what's out there. Anyone have any suggestions?
If you're looking for more performance and a nice tame exhaust note long tube headers, high flow cats, and an x-pipe sounds really nice through the stock exhaust on an LS3. It's very calm until you really dig into it, and then it has a pretty nice wail to it. Cat-back won't gain you any power, but long tubes and high flow cats definitely will.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote