Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
RADREVX

Drives: 2012 SS
CAMARO EVAP TEST AT THE DEALER - clearing monitors

OK, so I got a new battery a week ago. I got all the monitors to clear pretty fast other than evap and egr. today the dealer went to do the evap test, that is the 4th cold start since new battery and it said "not ready yet"
do I simply just need more cold starts for this to pass?
RADREVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
One parameter is it needs to between 1/4 and 3/4 tank. Also if it's your Camaro, there is no EGR.

-EDIT for correct fuel tank level-

Last edited by JerTM; 09-20-2018 at 11:21 AM.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
RADREVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
One parameter is it needs to between 1/4 and 1/2 half tank. Also if it's your Camaro, there is no EGR.
no egr? really?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
There is a driving sequence of accels, starts, stops for getting these parameters in readiness. They can be found online. But in NY only needs to pass 3 of the 4 readiness codes. They usually give you a pass on evap as it typically takes days weeks, or sometimes hundreds of miles to pass. Found all this out when I had to replace the battery in my Avalanche 2 days before I got it inspected.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
RADREVX

Yeaah, ive done the drive cycle with no luck so far. thought if the dealer did the evap test id be all set but I think the car wants more than just 4 cold start cycles.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADREVX View Post
no egr? really?
Really, no EGR.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
RADREVX

ok, so ill have the dealer do 2 more days test with cold starts and if it doesn't work ill go drive the piss out of it till one of the monitors pop.
p.s. the drive cycle is bs.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
JerTM

Quote:
ok, so ill have the dealer do 2 more days test with cold starts and if it doesn't work ill go drive the piss out of it till one of the monitors pop.
p.s. the drive cycle is bs.
You can thank the EPA for the test requirements, trying to prevent people from cheating the emissions standards.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just went through this with my mother's 2002 Tahoe. It had a SES light for a bad cannister purge valve. Replaced the valve and reset the codes. Took six weeks, hundreds of miles and following the GM drive cycle parameters several times before the EVAP monitor completed.

For something that supposed to help the vehicle be better for the environment, we sure burned a lot of unessessary fuel completing the monitors. Hours worth of driving for no reason other than to complete the monitors so it could be smogged and registered.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
RADREVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Just went through this with my mother's 2002 Tahoe. It had a SES light for a bad cannister purge valve. Replaced the valve and reset the codes. Took six weeks, hundreds of miles and following the GM drive cycle parameters several times before the EVAP monitor completed.

For something that supposed to help the vehicle be better for the environment, we sure burned a lot of unessessary fuel completing the monitors. Hours worth of driving for no reason other than to complete the monitors so it could be smogged and registered.
I guess ill start driving it more then. I can pass with evap in new York, but I still need the egr to go away first.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #11
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Evap takes a while. I had to use my tech2 and even that took 1.5 hours from cold start to shutdown tests:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=627

This is what the dealer does. I drove for weeks and it never set. This was the only way that worked.

Driving cycle takes several cold start cycles at least 8 hours apart for just that test to complete — fuel 1/2 to 3/4 full...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
JerTM

Quote:
I guess ill start driving it more then. I can pass with evap in new York, but I still need the egr to go away first.
Did the dealership tell you that you had an EGR not ready? That shouldn't even populate on the scan tool for a requirement. Maybe on their test equipment, but it knows your car doesn't have and EGR or any software to check for it.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #13
RADREVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Did the dealership tell you that you had an EGR not ready? That shouldn't even populate on the scan tool for a requirement. Maybe on their test equipment, but it knows your car doesn't have and EGR or any software to check for it.
I have two different OBDII and EGR shows on both of them. if I can just get that to pop, I can pass with evap.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
JerTM

Quote:
I have two different OBDII and EGR shows on both of them. if I can just get that to pop, I can pass with evap.
There ya go. Aftermarket scanners are too generic for accurate emissions readiness status, they report everything on a generic scale. I wouldn't worry about making that pass, as your car 100% does not have an EGR and it will not affect your passing emissions. How many not readies can you have where you are? I'm a GM tech fwiw.