Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Painting stripes devalue car?

The rally stripe decal on my camaro are extremely scratched and dirty (permanently). I was considering trading in my Camaro for a different one and was wondering whether it would be better to have my decal removed and have the stripes professionally painted on the exact same way (i know it will be quality work) or to just leave it all sratched up and dirty. I'm not completely sure that I will trade it yet so I'm leaning toward have the stripes painted but any info is welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Just get new decals it's cheaper
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
If you trade it, they will give you book value. I doubt stripes will make any diff in the value of the car. For valuation of the car, dealers want to know: # of cylinders, high vs low mileage, transmission (M/A), sunroof (y/n), leather (y/n), RS package (y/n). Stripes or not, will not likely change the value of the car. If the vinyl ones are really bad, they will just peel them off before it goes on the lot. However, if the stripes are painted and are a mess, it will likely reduce the value of the car.
Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_RS View Post
If you trade it, they will give you book value. I doubt stripes will make any diff in the value of the car. For valuation of the car, dealers want to know: # of cylinders, high vs low mileage, transmission (M/A), sunroof (y/n), leather (y/n), RS package (y/n). Stripes or not, will not likely change the value of the car. If the vinyl ones are really bad, they will just peel them off before it goes on the lot. However, if the stripes are painted and are a mess, it will likely reduce the value of the car.
+1
trading is just a set number. they will give you no extra for any mods and will not take off for factory installed decals. they take off for miles and damage. thats is period. they dont care about wear.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Just take the stripes off. They don't add trade in value.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Painted stripes will likely cost you $1-2000 to have done and you will never see a return on that in a trade in.

The (ahem) Lambo doors may hurt your trade in appraisal from certain dealers. They will know they will be sending it off to auction immediately.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
they will give you no extra for any mods.
Thank you for saying this. A buddy of mine told me I could add value to my car by just modifying it "to the same specs as the RS model." He claims that's how he made his Silverado worth more than he paid for it.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
they will give you no extra for any mods
Maybe for something like a supercharger or something, but not much else.

If you have 10k in mods, you could probably expect 500 to 1k... if that.

Mods have never increased value.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I agree, stripes are a non factor. What dealers call "premium sound" can make a small difference. The biggest difference maker is the miles for that model year. My Colorado pickup would get me $1300 added to value right now due to low miles. I've barely driven it since I got my Camaro. Miles and overall condition are the two biggest value adders. (No dents or paint damage). Then less important are minor things like power windows, locks, seats, sunroof and those kind of features. Something like RS would be a set value, it has it or it don't.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
Just get new decals it's cheaper
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote