Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Exclamation UNDERGLOW Questions

So I am looking to get underglow for my 2011 Camaro SS. I have seen them on ebay you can buy strips for very cheap but I also see the ones specifally made kits that are alot more expensive. What should I get and what is a good and EASY to install brand. Also, are there instructions on the wiring because I wouldn't know how to do it myself from the top of my head. Would I be able to wire it so that it turn on when I unlock my car (dome light switch is always off) but I also wanna have it on while driving. Also, I would not want to drill into the car. What tips do you have and here are some pictures to help me decide where to put the strips. For the front of the car would I put the strip right infront of the black deflector? Or closer. Also on the back the only place I can see is the gas tank. Btw I have street scene/stillen side skirts and front splitter, same as the picture I attached with underglow
Attached Images

Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
you can wire it right into the side marker lights., this way when the sensor on the dash goes off the lights turn on. or you can mount a separate switch to turn on and off when you like. The fuse box has a hot source and you can install a switch that way. It isn't that hard as long as you don't mind jacking up the car and getting underneath there. But if you feel uncomfortable then take it to a pro
Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
If you're new to doing electrical work, you may want to seek professional help. Wiring it the way you want is definitely do-able. The more expensive kits have better casings which are designed for the elements

Sent from BLACKOUT using Tapatalk
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydreamcar View Post
you can wire it right into the side marker lights., this way when the sensor on the dash goes off the lights turn on. or you can mount a separate switch to turn on and off when you like. The fuse box has a hot source and you can install a switch that way. It isn't that hard as long as you don't mind jacking up the car and getting underneath there. But if you feel uncomfortable then take it to a pro
Has anyone here wired it like this?
Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
An under glow kit no not yet, but my mail slot scanner light and grill lights yes. When the dash sensor goes off the lights come on. I could install a manual switch but haven't gotten around to it yet
Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Anyone have underglow isntalled or experience with it that maybe I can message them or something?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
AnUnarmedMan

Drives: 2013 LS
I have it on my car. It's amazing! Took forever to install, but it was worth it.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Anyone have underglow isntalled or experience with it that maybe I can message them or something?
I'm assuming you're looking for LED strips? I have streetglow neons on my bonneville from 2002. They looked great but the 6500v transformers only lasted a year or two apiece and i gave up and quit replacing it. So i don't recommend neons. Doubt you can install anything without drilling, but i haven't looked that closely at the camaro. You definitely need a manual switch to disable the lights because they are illegal in some states. I even got a ticket for green license plate lights in MI. I would wire them from the sidemarkers to a switch in the cabin that you normally leave on, but can shut off after getting pulled over.

For the best looks, you need more than the standard 48" lights for the side. I got tired of seeing the underglow stop short of the wheels. Also have to make sure no direct light can be seen from the seating position of other drivers, that's the mark of a poor install. I made shields to hide mine. LED's should be better in that respect too.

The results are worth it, i love the look on any car.

Nice muffler delete, btw.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE

Last edited by John Deere Boy; 11-23-2014 at 05:37 PM.
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnarmedMan View Post
I have it on my car. It's amazing! Took forever to install, but it was worth it.
Oh how come it took a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere Boy View Post
I'm assuming you're looking for LED strips? I have streetglow neons on my bonneville from 2002. They looked great but the 6500v transformers only lasted a year or two apiece and i gave up and quit replacing it. So i don't recommend neons. Doubt you can install anything without drilling, but i haven't looked that closely at the camaro. You definitely need a manual switch to disable the lights because they are illegal in some states. I even got a ticket for green license plate lights in MI. I would wire them from the sidemarkers to a switch in the cabin that you normally leave on, but can shut off after getting pulled over.

For the best looks, you need more than the standard 48" lights for the side. I got tired of seeing the underglow stop short of the wheels. Also have to make sure no direct light can be seen from the seating position of other drivers, that's the mark of a poor install. I made shields to hide mine. LED's should be better in that respect too.
Ya I want LED alot of people just get really strong double sided tape so I will probably do that and add something extra to keep secure. But can you take a picture of your underside? Also where exactly did you put them on the front and the back?

And the part I think I need the most help with is the wiring. How would I hook all 4 up to sidemarkers and a switch at the same time. I am wanting underglow on sides, front and back.

Last edited by Homeless Man; 11-24-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Oh how come it took a long time?

Ya I want LED alot of people just get really strong double sided tape so I will probably do that and add something extra to keep secure. But can you take a picture of your underside? Also where exactly did you put them on the front and the back?

And the part I think I need the most help with is the wiring. How would I hook all 4 up to sidemarkers and a switch at the same time. I am wanting underglow on sides, front and back.
It takes a while running the wiring under the car, front and back are not too bad. The sides take some creativity snaking wires around. Mine are wired in series so that added a extra hurdle.
Prep is the key to getting them to stick.
1st clean the area you will stick them with wax and tar remover.
2nd peel off the adhesive that comes with the LED strips (they all suck)
3rd buy 3M 1/2" emblem/molding tape and use that in place of the adhesive.
4th to help hold your wires up (since tape is a bit difficult) I used Mag Daddys, they are mini magnets that are super strong and then tie wrap the wires up with those.

I would skip the side marker connection and just use a switch.

location for the front. stuck right to the lower fascia, and tucked the wires under the doohickey(can't think of the name)
see picture.

for the back

sides just behind rocker

Mag Daddy
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

yes my car is filthy.. I got stuck in the rain the other day.. LOL
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #12
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
yes my car is filthy.. I got stuck in the rain the other day.. LOL
Ok thanks a lot. What brand did you use for strips and do you have a picture or video of your car with them on?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

The strips I have are not the average kind. I can address each LED to change color and turn off or on. I can program them to run patterns like the mailslot scanners. but here is a pic of them. The ones NightOwl uses for their kits is a real good LED strip. You may be able to get some from them.

heres a video when I first installed it, it is faster now. This was the first run of it.

Last edited by GVA 45TH 2SS; 11-25-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
agkelly73

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Here is an install I did for a friend of mine a while back.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265546

I used the same exact mounting locations that GVA did to achieve the effect. The strips I used are a different type from his and can typically be found on Amazon etc. I can PM you the details. I used an RGB LED controller and put the underglow on one switch and the halos on another so he didn't have to have everything running at the same time if he didn't want to. Like others suggested though, if you aren't sure about much as far as wiring goes seek outside assistance.
agkelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote