Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Lightbulb Camaro SIX Drive: Initial Impressions Review

The First Ten Feet
-Joe Bella, Camaro6, May 2015

Name:  2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-EngineeringPrototype-01.jpg
Views: 6965
Size:  242.8 KB

In this Internet age, a review can be written within minutes of a vehicle drive—no need to go back to the office and warm up the typewriter before sending your final draft off to print in next-month’s issue.

Then again, most media outlets don’t send their journalists to events in their own car 6 hours away with enough “junk in the trunk” to last a weekend stay in Detroit in order to enjoy a unique enthusiast event coordinated with the unveil of the brand new Camaro SIX. Of course, I’m not what you’d call a “journalist”.

After the Camaro enthusiast-infused unveiling on Saturday, which by the way was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things, Chevrolet hosted journalists from a myriad of outlets on Sunday morning for some more detailed information about this new masterpiece in the Camaro lineage, and for a hands-on drive with the 6th generation cars.

The vehicles they had waiting for us on the Grand Prix course of Belle Isle were pre-production V6 models. There were six of the cars available, and a few had the NPP exhaust option. Because I was not the first in line to drive, I want to share with you the first thing I noticed: The V6 model SOUNDS GREAT (with the NPP exhaust). When the dual mode flaps open up in the cars, at full-throttle they were loud, and I cautiously say “exotic” sounding—but all good!

Camaro team was clever in how they arranged this drive. First, it is important to note that companies do not normally do this—that is, reveal a brand new car on one day, and allow people to drive it the very next. So they intended to make a point: the new car is nimble, quick, and you can feel how much lighter and agile than the 5th generation car feels “within the first 10 feet of driving”. Their words…not mine.

They were right.

As I drove the 2015 2LT car, bright yellow with a manual transmission, first in line behind our Z/28 pace car; it felt confident, fun, maybe even I could use the word “zippy”, but then you try to take a turn at speed and the chassis begins to roll quite a bit while the tires don’t want to hold the car in place. And although, the V6 pulls pretty hard, it feels held back and muzzled. All in all, did I enjoy it? Yes, I did. Did it convince me to buy one? No.

I also must be transparent and tell you that I used to own a 2012 ZL1, and now I drive a 2014 2SS/1LE every day, and take it to one or two track days each year. It is a phenomenal car that I am thrilled to get into each and every time. I consider the 1LE-equipped SS the benchmark for a car that claims to be “fun to drive”, “nimble”, or “agile”…power-levels notwithstanding.

Anyways, after we pulled back into the pits with our 5th gen LTs, we were asked to literally get out of the 5th gens and get right into the camouflaged 6th gen cars that were waiting for us. First thing I hear is a voice over the radio (our Z/28 lead): “Please fasten your seatbelts, and release the emergency brake. Put the transmission into first gear or drive, and we’ll be out of here in a moment.” This first car I drove was an automatic, so I pulled the shifter into drive, and pressed the new electronic emergency brake button to release the brake. No sooner did that occur, than I heard the Z/28 ahead of us grumble and begin to roll away. The second car I had the pleasure to drive was manual transmission, and I’d like to report that the clutch wasn’t heavy, but it wasn’t mushy either. It was very nice, and the shifter felt awfully close to what I have in the 1LE. Remember, this the V6/LT model!

In that first 10 feet, I noticed a few things:

First, the A-pillar is skinnier, improving forward and front-quarter line of sight dramatically. I confirmed this observation with Tristan Murphy, one of the interior designers. They spend a lot of time removing nearly an inch of material from one side of the pillar, and half an inch from the other. The seat sits slightly lower to the ground, shedding that slight “sedan” seating position feeling of the 5th gen car. I don’t know why, but lower feels faster. The interior wraps around you as the driver. It is entirely driver-focused, and everything you touch or see either has something to do with the performance of the vehicle, or just “looks” fast. The steering wheel is flat-bottomed, a standard feature across all models. And the “Camaro” logo is back, front and center just as it should be. The car, or the engine rather, sounds aggressive from the interior. When you take hold of the steering wheel, it’s obvious that this car has one purpose in any form: to go fast. Steering, even adjusting left to right at two mph as we pulled away, felt tight and direct.

As we accelerated away, I was shocked because my head actually snapped back to the seat! Not as violently as in my SS, but with authority all the same. I was even able to chirp the tires in third gear…this little car is quick! And as you speed away, you hear that nearly exotic scream coming from the engine that will make you grin. Into the first turn, I noticed immediately that the car braked, like my SS, with confidence and strength. (Once we returned to the pits, that’s when I looked and realized these cars were sporting Brembo front brake calipers.) As I turned the wheel to follow the Z/28 around a bend, the car responded instantly, and I detected very little body roll. The tires screeched a little bit through the turn, as I was pushing it pretty hard, but they never let go.

I am cautious when I say that in terms of vehicle dynamics, or handling characteristics, the V6 cars we drove felt impressively like my 1LE. I will not give that praise lightly, because I appreciate how great the 1LE package is. But at the same time, it almost felt better! There is simply no doubt in my mind that you can tell the difference in weight between the two generations. Of course, it did not feel as fast, but it did feel as fun!

Even being a V6, I left Belle Isle seriously considering that car as my next purchase…it put a grin on my face, it was agile around the track, truly nimble and light on its feet.

Now, this was only a 15-minute driving experience because there were so many people and so few cars to accommodate. We weren’t able to go flat-out in these cars, and we didn’t have access to either the turbo four cylinder model, or the SS. Still, I was one of the lucky people able to experience the first 10 feet of the Sixth-generation Camaro’s story, and I am simply blown away!

Name:  2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-EngineeringPrototype-04.jpg
Views: 6658
Size:  244.9 KB
Name:  2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-EngineeringPrototype-07.jpg
Views: 6523
Size:  185.2 KB
Name:  2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-EngineeringPrototype-13.jpg
Views: 6565
Size:  160.0 KB
Name:  2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-EngineeringPrototype-14.jpg
Views: 6625
Size:  245.3 KB

This is the first V6 I actually enjoyed listening to!

Our 3-car lineups, each with a Z/28 pace car.
Name:  sixth gens line.jpg
Views: 6754
Size:  232.6 KB

Name:  sixth gens line 2.jpg
Views: 6670
Size:  301.7 KB

This is a pre-production standard headlight assembly. No LEDs or HID, but it keeps the projector bulb, and general design.
Name:  Base Headlight.jpg
Views: 6650
Size:  249.0 KB

You can see the inspiration pulled from the 2010 SS wheel for the new wheels:
Name:  Wheel 1.jpg
Views: 6547
Size:  310.1 KB
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Thanks for the review!

From all first hand accounts, it seems that this car is a real winner. I just hope the general buying public can learn to get over the no-visibility stigma (real or perceived).

The exhaust sounds a bit like my Corsa catback did on my old 2010 V6. I love it.
I bet a 1LT V6 manual with some lightweight wheels and good tires and proper suspension mods will be a properly quick driver's car! Some outlets have said the V6 car is closer to 300 lbs less than the outgoing V6. If that's accurate, then this is 34xx lbs, right? Lighter than a Z06. (albeit with half the hp, heh)

This gen is the Camaro I really wanted back in 2010.

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 05-22-2015 at 01:33 PM.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Alex

Drives: 2011 Camaro Silver Ice
Wow great read! I'm happy to see such positive reviews and you make it very tempting to grab a 2016, but I want the Performance Data Recorder so bad. I'm hoping it's available for 2017.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
judochop87

Drives: Cooper
Awesome. The more I think about it, the more I am starting to lean towards the V6. Seems like more than enough "car", the new chassis and brakes should still make it a formidable vehicle. I've had +400 hp cars and they only seem to entice me to get into trouble haha
judochop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Great review Joe. I always feel like I'm riding right
along (wish I was!!). Thanks for the insite. The V6
sound interesting, but I'm really anxious to hear/read
about the V8
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Of course, I’m not what you’d call a “journalist”.
Don't say that too loudly, or GM might stop inviting you to drive their cars
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home

Well done
Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Don't say that too loudly, or GM might stop inviting you to drive their cars
He didn't wreck though.

Great review Joe.

Did anyone notice if the 2LT's taillights were any different than the RS models?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Great read thanks
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Awesome review thanks!
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Good read! Thanks for sharing!

I'd like to know your thoughts on the V6 automatic. You said you put it in drive....did you really just put it in regular drive mode and go? Just curious b/c I'm assuming there is a sport mode as well in addition to the manual mode, and the sport mode is supposed to provide for better throttle input and crisper shifts.

Did it (the automatic) feel quick as well?

I'm very much considering another V6 2LT instead of going for a 1SS.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Awesome read and awesome 6th gen. Thank you for sharing.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #13
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Good read! Thanks for your opinion on how the 6gen handles compared to the 5gen. Looks like it will be a day and night difference

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Great review, Mr. W. Thanks so much.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote