Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #57
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
By the way, does anyone read Grassroots Motorsports? They have a 15 Camaro SS with a bunch of GM performance suspension and other goodies. Anywho, they have been tracking the car and surprise surprise, they have been getting high oil temps. They contact GM engineering and was advised that the oil temp is not a true reading, but an estimate based on a bunch of data. They too will be working on a soliton for their track Camaro.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #58
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
By the way, does anyone read Grassroots Motorsports? They have a 15 Camaro SS with a bunch of GM performance suspension and other goodies. Anywho, they have been tracking the car and surprise surprise, they have been getting high oil temps. They contact GM engineering and was advised that the oil temp is not a true reading, but an estimate based on a bunch of data. They too will be working on a soliton for their track Camaro.
Yes, the gauge is fake, which is why most of us have aftermarket gauges now. I learned that the hard way : )
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #59
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
This is why I purchased aftermarket oil pressure and temp sensors and connected them to an AIM data acquisition system, to truly know what temps and pressures are at all times while on track. Not necessary for most, but one who is racing and doesn't want to replace their engine (again, lol), it's cheap or make that expensive insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Yes, the gauge is fake, which is why most of us have aftermarket gauges now. I learned that the hard way : )
Me too, haha. I see you beat me to the punch
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #60
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
tadams72, I've got it mounted about a half inch from the AC condenser, as far as the front bumper cover, see the picture below, don't ask why the old cooler is back on the left, I'll break it all down when I write the thread if this all works.
X25, I've got my fingers, toes, eyes, and legs crossed.

Should be enough air flow, I hope.
Very anxious to get the report back. Looking good so far.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #61
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
While at it, you might want to get the heritage grill, too. Considering even the flow-tie is claimed to have an impact of a few degrees F in track temps (claimed by GM; don't remember the reference link), it might make a difference.

Under sunlight, you can't even see it!

Guys, please report us back with your running temps, oil pressures, etc. Every car that I've ever owned always hit at least 270 degrees, even my older '06 C6 Z06 with its large air-to-oil cooler and much better air flow. I'm starting to think the tracks here are just not good for cooling with their short straights, and I would love to get more data from you. If this dual cooler set-up works like OP's, it could make an excellent choice since it would also be easier/safer to install, and leave the side air flows to the brake ducting.

Besides these, I had to do extensive work (improving ducting for the radiators, removing thermostat, etc.) to get a hold of temps on my supercharged Miata, so there are always solutions : )

From my Miata build:
X25,

Thanks for posting the Miata pics. I have been looking at doing this very thing using aluminum sheeting and foam to seal the box better. I have no doubt that will make a significant improvement. Still finishing the engine build but this is on my to do list along with sealing the rest of the front clip (engine area) like the ZL-1. Might require the finger brake press, and bead roller that's been on my tool wish list for awhile though.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #62
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
This is why I purchased aftermarket oil pressure and temp sensors and connected them to an AIM data acquisition system, to truly know what temps and pressures are at all times while on track. Not necessary for most, but one who is racing and doesn't want to replace their engine (again, lol), it's cheap or make that expensive insurance.

Me too, haha. I see you beat me to the punch
Me three. Just finished installing the Innovate Motorsports MTX-D Oil pressure and temperature gauge along with the DLG-1 Dual Wideband.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #63
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

First session, 82 degrees outside, Autobahn North, hottest I saw on my added gauge reading oil going to the cooler was 270. Big improvement from 305.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #64
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

After three sessions the hottest oil temp was 273. The temp gauge is still doing some strange things after the car gets good and hot and in the turns and on the cool down laps. Temps are way low as if oil isn't going through the cooler adapter at times. Video to come!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #65
X25

Quote:
After three sessions the hottest oil temp was 273. The temp gauge is still doing some strange things after the car gets good and hot and in the turns and on the cool down laps. Temps are way low as if oil isn't going through the cooler adapter at times. Video to come!
Looks like this setup performed pretty similar. Honestly, this is what I've been expecting (at least if I were to try this setup myself at my local tracks).

Great, it's now 2 cars no longer having issues : )
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 08-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #66
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Guys, got a question. What do you think is a safe upper limit for oil temp, assuming you're using a quality synthetic that has been freshly changed? On the Viper forum, there's a discussion going and I have yet to figure out what a safe limit is.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #67
X25

Quote:
Guys, got a question. What do you think is a safe upper limit for oil temp, assuming you're using a quality synthetic that has been freshly changed? On the Viper forum, there's a discussion going and I have yet to figure out what a safe limit is.
I've heard some say it's 280 degrees F for dino oil, and 320 for synthetics. I mailed my oil sample from the track day when I hit 297 degrees (maybe even more). I expect to see it in great condition, which would prove that synthetics are up to task (for me) up to 300 degrees F, not that I'd ever hit it again (I hope); we'll see.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #68
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Well I used Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic with great success using the the factory "oil heater". Never had a true oil temp reading then but I bet it was every bit of 300 degrees. Coolant temps reached as high as 246 if that tells you anything. Anyhow, the Blackstone lab reports always showed the oil still had a lot of life and minimal wear metals. Still doesn't make me feel good about those temps though which is why the new engine is getting dual oil coolers now.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #69
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

I should also add the coolant temp never got above 212 on the track according to the factory readout. The hottest the car got was 220 and that was waiting in line to go out on track. After going back and watching my videos, as the day went on and the air temp dropped as the sun started going down, so did the oil temps. It also seemed like the only true reading was once the car was pointing straight and under acceleration down the straightaways. Under hard braking the temp would drop, and this time anytime i turned it would also drop. Oil level was good (1/2 qt over filled). I have another track night at Gingerman Sept 13th. Should be nice an cool then.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #70
Woodsman44

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Hcsi99 - do you have the oil temp sensor in the oil cooler adapter/thermostat? What brand sensor are you using? I just installed the aero force sensor in the oil cooler adapter/thermostat but haven't used it yet.
Woodsman44 is offline   Reply With Quote