Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
joeyp85

Drives: 2016 2SS MRC,NPP, A8 hyper blue
Exclamation CAI cold air intake concerns!!

So I purchased a cold air inductions cold air intake for my car about 2 weeks ago and I like it. Now there's a few things I DONT like about it and I don't know if they are normal. I am concerned with a few things. I know the intake will make noises which I've been told is normal. Now since I got the intake installed, I hear a rattle coming from the motor and I don't know what it is and I haven't heard it before I got the intake installed and it won't go away at all. Also I feel like every time I give the car throttle it kind of hiccups a little bit then goes while the car never did this with the stock intake. The car will buck a little bit I guess but not crazy strong. I'm really thinking about getting rid of it and putting back the stock intake because I feel this isn't normal. Can anyone give me some advice? It'd be much appreciated!!
joeyp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
joeyp85

Also I am not planning on doing anything else to the motor besides maybe an axleback exhaust. Is it bad for the motor if I have the intake on the car without doing any other engine mods?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Racer Ed

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyp85 View Post
Also I am not planning on doing anything else to the motor besides maybe an axleback exhaust. Is it bad for the motor if I have the intake on the car without doing any other engine mods?
-

I would remove it and put the Stock CAI on and see if there is still a
problem.
Racer Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:43 AM   #4
STEVE41

Drives: 2016 SS
your fuel trim is probably off a little with the after market intake.
STEVE41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyp85 View Post
So I purchased a cold air inductions cold air intake for my car about 2 weeks ago and I like it. Now there's a few things I DONT like about it and I don't know if they are normal. I am concerned with a few things. I know the intake will make noises which I've been told is normal. Now since I got the intake installed, I hear a rattle coming from the motor and I don't know what it is and I haven't heard it before I got the intake installed and it won't go away at all. Also I feel like every time I give the car throttle it kind of hiccups a little bit then goes while the car never did this with the stock intake. The car will buck a little bit I guess but not crazy strong. I'm really thinking about getting rid of it and putting back the stock intake because I feel this isn't normal. Can anyone give me some advice? It'd be much appreciated!!
I would do what was recommended above and swap back to the factory intake and see if it goes away. Also that is why I did not go with them and got the Roto-Fab intake with sound tube delete. I had them both on my 5th Gen SS. I first went with CAI but was having the same problem your having with the car bogging down. The CAI does not fully seal like the Roto-Fab unit and that also worried and bothered me. So I sold it and went with Roto-Fab and never had that problem or feeling again. Did you double check that everything was seated properly and tight?

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I got to take mine out for the first time this year (Ontario weather) I installed a rotofab over the winter, about 4 hours worth of driving this weekend and I love it and had no issues at all, car has 2700km on it and feels crazy strong break in went good from what I can feel.

As said if you have a issue always go back to stock make sure it was the problem if so return it, could be a defect if all fails get your money back and go rotofab.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE41 View Post
your fuel trim is probably off a little with the after market intake.
If the different filter housing (marketed as a cold air intake) actually changes the airflow then the ECM will react. It's ridiculous to change anything like this without a tune.

***DISCLAIMER-I MEANT NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, NO MALE INTENDED, DON'T BAN ME AGAIN BECAUSE I QUESTION A SOURCE OF ADVERTISING INCOME***
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
joeyp85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
I would do what was recommended above and swap back to the factory intake and see if it goes away. Also that is why I did not go with them and got the Roto-Fab intake with sound tube delete. I had them both on my 5th Gen SS. I first went with CAI but was having the same problem your having with the car bogging down. The CAI does not fully seal like the Roto-Fab unit and that also worried and bothered me. So I sold it and went with Roto-Fab and never had that problem or feeling again. Did you double check that everything was seated properly and tight?
I made sure everything was tight and it was. I just tightened everything again yesterday
Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Not sure what is causing your issue, but I will at least chime in and say that I've had the CAI intake on my car both untuned for nearly 8 months and tuned with E85 for 4 months. Never had an issue and the car ran well at the track. I'd put the stock intake back on and see what happens. Not sure what would rattle?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
As said if you have a issue always go back to stock make sure it was the problem if so return it, could be a defect if all fails get your money back and go rotofab.
I agree 100%.
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
OP, please contact our support department directly. We appreciate you purchasing our system. The installation of our system should not be causing any issues. We have sold thousands of these systems and have received extremely positive feedback from our customers. Please contact our support department at (810) 392-9999 Ext. 900. Thank You!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #12
joeyp85

So I've been talking with Cold air inductions the last two days and they gave me instructions on how to fix my issue and they were successful! Customer service was very helpful
Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #13
Black_FiFTY
Custom Black FiFTY

Drives: 2017 Black SS
Mind sharing what the fix was?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #14
joeyp85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_FiFTY View Post
Mind sharing what the fix was?
The box that encloses the cone was actually touching the ac line so I had the line slightly bent to the side and now there's a space so they aren't touching