Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It's possible that even though it doesn't qualify for warranty, the type of failure may have gotten the interest of the GM rep or engineer and they may want to see the damage for themselves to help them understand this particular failure mode.

Nonetheless I wouldn't bet on getting any assistance from GM unless they're so interested in studying the damage that they offer to pay to remove and replace the engine. Not pay for the new engine, just foot the bill for the labor so they can take the old engine back for analysis.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
LS1-Z28

Drives: 2001 NBM Camaro SS #612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackenedSS View Post
Sorry to hear that....

Think you're on your own with any and all motor repairs but you already knew this right?

Time for LSX 454!!!!!!!
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvincent4708 View Post
haha i WISH I could have the lsx454. Most likely out of my budget.. Actually, building a motor of any sort is going to be out of my budget for a little while. Lots of saving to do.

But i was thinking an iron block 6.2 with the ls3 heads. a little heavier, but more rigid
Or this.

Or a 427(LS7) Which I believe is in the Corvette Z06. Mean motor. You have lots of options to choose from. You could also go LSX 454 with twin turbos and build the whole motor how you want to and be 1000+ RWHP. But maybe I'm biased

All in all sorry to hear about your motor. But hey gives you a reason to drop a new one in there. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
LS1-Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvincent4708 View Post
Yeah, thats what i'm hearing, the mechanic that helped me tear it down stated that it definitely was running rich and the tune could not have been why.

But I know i'll have to argue 'til i'm blue in the face to MAYBE get somewhere
Knowing that I had almost no leg to stand on at any moment Id be as courteous as possible and work with them the best I can.

Good luck man i had my motor blow also, threw a rod, fortunately I was stock.

keep us posted! You have no idea how much this helps people who run into the same problem.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Knowing that I had almost no leg to stand on at any moment Id be as courteous as possible and work with them the best I can.

Good luck man i had my motor blow also, threw a rod, fortunately I was stock.

keep us posted! You have no idea how much this helps people who run into the same problem.
Oh I'll definitely be kind. But i do have my ammunition of knowledge to hopefully help me along to prove that this is not a failure caused by me. I mean after all, isn't the LS9 a LS3 with the LS9 cam and a blower with forged internals..The heads are the same castings and such. I think the LS3 heads peak lift is .570 with stock springs.

And the motor is already out of the car, torn down, pictures posted. Would you guys want me to update the first post with the link?
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
where is the rod and can you post better pics of where it connects or connected to the crank... any bluing ?

what was the rev limit set to?

you have a few options on the rebuild..
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillz512 View Post
I wished they were going to help you, but they have no true reason to help you and they won't. Companies are not like they used to be it's all
About the money they don't care about the customer. I wish you luck but i am almost positive they will
Do nothing because of the tune.
I don't agree with this. Of course they care about the consumer, they want the consumer to keep consuming their products, but they also have to care about their shareholders.

It's a slippery slope... sure, maybe his cam and tune didn't cause the failure but if they replace his engine, then someone a little more modded has something go wrong, and they have to fix that...

Just hope for the best man. Hopefully you're not completely boned, but I wouldn't have expectations for anything other than paying for 100% of this repair.

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #21
Nvincent4708

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
where is the rod and can you post better pics of where it connects or connected to the crank... any bluing ?
The whole lower is taken apart now.

The rod was #3 and spun freely upon removal.

The 1st pic is the broken rod
The 2nd pic is the best I have of the rod being broken / shot through the block

Last edited by Nvincent4708; 10-24-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
Nvincent4708

Rev limit set to 6000 even. I made it less to be safe, I always do.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
ouch dude sorry! As others said, the tune is probably what killed your warranty :(

Wish you the best of luck!
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
CC Performance
Account Suspended

no chance anything was left of the pin or anything on that end? How do the rest of the pistons look? you said you were using hptuners ? did you get much/ counts of knock?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
Nvincent4708

Quote:
no chance anything was left of the pin or anything on that end?
The wrist pin was the only piece that was 100% fine. It looks fine too, no blueing or anything.

What would be your guess on why it failed?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
CC Performance
Account Suspended

No idea just trying to get as much info as we can... kind of hard over the internet....LOL but there has to be a clue in the way it came apart.. I asked my builder to take a look at the pictures to see if he could see anything or has an idea..
sucks.. sorry for your loss..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
Nvincent4708

Quote:
No idea just trying to get as much info as we can... kind of hard over the internet....LOL but there has to be a clue in the way it came apart.. I asked my builder to take a look at the pictures to see if he could see anything or has an idea..
sucks.. sorry for your loss..
Thanks,

And keep me posted on what he thinks. And I may be contacting you about a short block if all falls through with GM
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
CC Performance
Account Suspended

We can help you out for sure but the cheaper way would be to look for a take out engine from someone who had a forged engine built before they abused the OEM engine...
Unless of course you are wanting to step up to a forged precision built engine then we would be glad to help.