Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Stingray vs ZL1 (Warning Extreme Eye Candy) Proceed with caution!

Well,

I previously posted my thoughts on the new Stingray and how it stacks up to our beloved ZL1. That post was made before I had the opportunity to see one in person. So, I began scouring dealership after dealership looking for some realword, concrete visual data.

I took a trip to Reliable Chevy in Richardson, Texas where they have a total of 8. The 3 you see here are spoken for. There is also a red ZL1 Vert that was there from a previous visit a week or so ago. It too was sold. Congratulations to all the new owners of these wonderful automobiles. Since these Vettes were all sold, I did not get a chance to sit in any of them and rightfully so. This dealership has the owner's back in that regard.

This morning I took a trip to Friendly Chevy in Dallas, TX and they had two Stingrays on the floor. One was sold, but there was a yellow one with a sticker price of 61 grand that was open and available to sit in and tinker with.

First of all, the Stingray is a magnificent piece of machinery to behold, although, the base model is a bit bland looking in the standard appearance package. The rear end will take some growing on me, but I will say this...It is very wide and just like my ex-girlfriend's rear end, very befitting of a specialty license plate. On the inside it still looks nearly as special as the others for the most part. There are no empty cubby spaces where more expensive options belong. I am a bit disappointed that the base model does not come with a HUD, but that was the case in the C6 as well, so it is what it is.

I am a big guy so ingress and egress was difficult and embarrasing. I was told to hold my breath for 10 seconds at a time while pointing my butt towards the driver seat and plopping down, while the salesman held my arms yelling and encouraging me that I could do it. At my size, I am not sure a contortionist has done anything more astonishing. But soon enough with a little pushing, shoving and cussing, there I was in the driver seat facing forward. As the sweat rolled off my brow from the ordeal I looked to my left and saw that a few customers who were witnesses covered their children's eyes in disgust.

Once inside, I knew I wouldn't be getting out anytime soon so I had time to really appreciate the cabin. Again, it is tight, but head and shoulders above the previous Vettes' interior. It feels very solid to say the least.

Once I finally recouperated enough to exit the vehicle, I was certainly impressed, but I knew one thing..I was completely satisfied with the ZL1, just on space alone.

From a pure value perspective, the ZL1 edges the Vette for me. While they both provide impressive and nearly untouchable perfomance at their price points, the Vette takes thousands more to have properly outfitted; whereas the Camaro comes with everything you need at its base price to go right from the dealership to the track and wreck some serious havoc. And did I mention the HUD is standard?

In the end, two great cars nonetheless and if my weight loss plan works out as expected, I'll be small enough in time for the next ZO6 to sit right beside my ZL1. Great job Chevrolet!
Attached Images

Last edited by snackbar64; 10-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Hell Yea, I want them all
Old 10-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
I want it in Lime Rock Green
Old 10-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I can't wait until everyone gets tired of comparing these different cars.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I can't wait until everyone gets tired of comparing these different cars.
Price point and performance are too similar not to. It really shows just how far the Camaro has come. If 60 grand is what you have and want to spend, which one do you go after?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
nice pictures! The red one and white one has a special package?
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS

Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
man that white one is amazing, throw some tints on that and call it a day, that car needs nothing else. what a beaut, thanks for sharing!
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganSRT View Post
man that white one is amazing, throw some tints on that and call it a day, that car needs nothing else. what a beaut, thanks for sharing!
I would have to agree!!
Attached Images

Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganSRT View Post
My favorite too!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Not really fair to compare the top of the line camaro vs a base model corvette in terms of standard features.

I second the green being the best color. Absolutely love it.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
nice pictures! The red one and white one has a special package?
All have the Z51 performance packages. From what I was told the blue was most expensive as it has a special production #44 or something like that. Close to 80 grand. The white is 72 and the red is similarly priced at 68 I believe. Can't remember for sure.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
white ZL1

Drives: none
Those cars in white are just plain sexy. Hands down the best color.
I really want to see what the rear end looks like with that area around the tail lights painted white rather than the stock black.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
dgerstel

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51 2013 Camaro ZL1
While I LOVE my ZL1, I decided as long as I am spending my kids inheritance and love fast good handling cars, I would try a new C7. I plan on trying out the C7 for a while to see which one I can't live without and sell the other, I don't get to put enough miles on either to justify 2 cars like these. I will update after I drive the C7 for a while, it is due in any day.
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerstel View Post
While I LOVE my ZL1, I decided as long as I am spending my kids inheritance and love fast good handling cars, I would try a new C7. I plan on trying out the C7 for a while to see which one I can't live without and sell the other, I don't get to put enough miles on either to justify 2 cars like these. I will update after I drive the C7 for a while, it is due in any day.
Wow! It looks like you got just about every available option. Congrats on the new Vette and do tell which one gets to stick around once you've gotten to enjoy them both.