Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
mirabella
silver snow

Drives: 2017 Red 1LT RS
Need thoughts

Need help. I have. 2013 Camaro 2LS. Love it, but I miss my convertible. While getting the oil changed yesterday I test drove a 2014 LT convert, black on black. They just called me with a really good offer

So here's my question, the gauge cluster why do I see it on some LT and not others?

Do people have issues with their convertible top.

How long do camaros run without issue, because if I get this I will have it at least 6 years.

Thanks!
mirabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirabella View Post
Need help. I have. 2013 Camaro 2LS. Love it, but I miss my convertible. While getting the oil changed yesterday I test drove a 2014 LT convert, black on black. They just called me with a really good offer

So here's my question, the gauge cluster why do I see it on some LT and not others?

How long do camaros run without issue, because if I get this I will have it at least 6 years.

Thanks!
The gauge cluster in the center console is part of the RS package, but it can also be purchased from the dealer for non RS- equipped cars.

Most convertible top issues are the result of people not taking care of them, and premature wear from the car always sitting outside, etc.

Runs "without issues" is more dependent on how you care for and maintain your car than anything else, and nothing prevents small problems from cropping up outside of warranty. Sometimes things just break. Your powertrain warranty covers major components, but you should probably set aside money for a maintenance/repair fund as the car exits its warranty period.

If the dealer is pushing you towards a 6 year (72 month) loan on the 2014, I'd run, not walk away. Really look at the numbers. If the dealer is asking to take your 2LS in on trade, the deal is automatically stacked in their favor.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The gauge cluster in the center console is part of the RS package...
Actually, the RS package has nothing to do with the gauge cluster. It comes on the "2" Camaro models (2LT, 2SS - don't know about ILE and ZL1 and don't think it comes with the 2LS).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Actually, the RS package has nothing to do with the gauge cluster. It comes on the "2" Camaro models (2LT, 2SS - don't know about ILE and ZL1).
Sweet! I learn something new everyday around here.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:

Thanks!
Care to share what the "really good offer" is? We'll be more than happy to let you know whether it's a "really good offer" or not such a good offer (unless you have "inside" info).

Whatever you do, get the dealer to either throw in the tonneau cover (or at least at half price) if you're looking at the 1LT. I'm not certain whether the 2014 2LT still comes with the tonneau but I don't believe it does (I may be wrong).

Pls. let us know what the offer is and whether you decide to return to the "vert life".
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
mirabella
silver snow

Drives: 2017 Red 1LT RS
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I'll ask about the cover. I am on hold right now since they cant sell any, well they can sell them but they can't deliver. Waiting on a date for delivery. I don't want to buy it until I can leave with it.

It's 6 year loan, no money down. Financing $34k. Which to be honest isn't bad since the car was $35 and I am upside down by a little under $3,800. They make the first payment.

It's the interest rate that is making the difference same as I have now 2.5%
mirabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Ive had the vert for two months now.....love it! I also had a hardtop for 28 months and drove the piss out of it......not one issue
Old 06-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Evergreen6

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I'll ask about the cover. I am on hold right now since they cant sell any, well they can sell them but they can't deliver. Waiting on a date for delivery. I don't want to buy it until I can leave with it.

It's 6 year loan, no money down. Financing $34k. Which to be honest isn't bad since the car was $35 and I am upside down by a little under $3,800. They make the first payment.

It's the interest rate that is making the difference same as I have now 2.5%
It's poor financial strategy to roll in negative equity from a previous vehicle (at almost $4k, that's not only a bad idea, it's a REALLY bad idea). 6 years is too long for a car loan. Depending on your credit, you can get better than 2.5% especially if you can shorten up the term.

If it was my choice, I definitely wouldn't do it. Good financial choices come first, having fun takes the same priority, but not when the numbers don't help me meet my overall goals. YMMV.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
2014 2LT/RS Convertible for $34k sounds like it's pretty close to sticker price...

Go find the exact vehicle at the dealer on this website with your zip to get a better idea what you should actually be paying with the GM Supplier Discount rate:

Vehicle Locator

I got a 2014 1SS/RS (non-convertible) for several thousand less than that..
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
If the dealer is pushing you towards a 6 year (72 month) loan on the 2014, I'd run, not walk away. Really look at the numbers. If the dealer is asking to take your 2LS in on trade, the deal is automatically stacked in their favor.
Depends on what your interest rate is (usually lower) and what their financials look like. I did a 6 year loan at .09%, to keep my monthly payments low if for some reason I lost my job. Granted I put down half of what the car was worth and made large payments each month to pay it off within a year and a half. But there are reasons for everything. That worked out very well in my situation, I didn't pay close to the full 6 year interest Boosted my credit score and got to drive exactly what I wanted when I wanted it

Would it have been a financially practical to go the full 6 years at a higher principle amount? Eh, probably not but neither is buying a sports car Just overall be smart and don't go above your means.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
SatSky08

Drives: '08 Saturn Sky, '14 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
... I'm not certain whether the 2014 2LT still comes with the tonneau but I don't believe it does (I may be wrong)...

The 2LT does come with the tonneau cover standard for 2014, but according to what I have read it changes to "available" for 2015. So since it looks like my 2014 order didn't make the production cut-off, that's another $200 when I order the replacement 2015...
Old 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Jameg1011

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary
Quote:
It's poor financial strategy to roll in negative equity from a previous vehicle (at almost $4k, that's not only a bad idea, it's a REALLY bad idea). 6 years is too long for a car loan. Depending on your credit, you can get better than 2.5% especially if you can shorten up the term.

If it was my choice, I definitely wouldn't do it. Good financial choices come first, having fun takes the same priority, but not when the numbers don't help me meet my overall goals. YMMV.
I'm in the car business and have not delivered a car this year to date with an interest rate under 1.9% (60 months, buy rate with 845 credit score and i've delivered over 700 cars already this year), so that statement is crazy in my opinion. 2.5 is a really good rate, they are most likely giving you buy rate for the vehicle. Plus not to mention 2.5% is under inflation so your actually really paying no interest if you really think about it from a true financial position.

You're not "rolling in" that much negative equity really since the dealer is giving you that money back somehow to get to that amount financed. They're including tax, tags and all the bs in there number correct? And no money out of pocket? I say its a hell of a deal at the 34k. Seems to me like they really want to move the car and are heavily under invoice price on the new one and over book on the trade (Pm me the details if you want and ill look up book and auction avgs to find out the exact deal you're getting) .

Also for those of you saying 6 years is long for a car loan, then maybe your background is not in finance. If you can take out a loan for a certain item and pay almost no interest on financing, (under 1% like some of you are calming) you would be silly to take a less term, you're basically spending money that you can invest and make much more on than interest paid out on the loan instead of having your money tied up in a vehicle that will ultimately do nothing but loose money. I would say 60% of people who finance a car do 72 months 15% do 84 months, 15% do 60 months and the rest shorter.

Last edited by Jameg1011; 06-18-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Jameg1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameg1011 View Post
I'm in the car business and have not delivered a car this year to date with an interest rate under 1.9% (60 months, buy rate with 845 credit score and i've delivered over 700 cars already this year), so that statement is crazy in my opinion. 2.5 is a really good rate, they are most likely giving you buy rate for the vehicle. Plus not to mention 2.5% is under inflation so your actually really paying no interest if you really think about it from a true financial position.

You're not "rolling in" that much negative equity really since the dealer is giving you that money back somehow to get to that amount financed. They're including tax, tags and all the bs in there number correct? And no money out of pocket? I say its a hell of a deal at the 34k. Seems to me like they really want to move the car and are heavily under invoice price on the new one and over book on the trade (Pm me the details if you want and ill look up book and auction avgs to find out the exact deal you're getting) .

Also for those of you saying 6 years is long for a car loan, then maybe your background is not in finance. If you can take out a loan for a certain item and pay almost no interest on financing, (under 1% like some of you are calming) you would be silly to take a less term, you're basically spending money that you can invest and make much more on than interest paid out on the loan instead of having your money tied up in a vehicle that will ultimately do nothing but loose money. I would say 60% of people who finance a car do 72 months 15% do 84 months, 15% do 60 months and the rest shorter.
My background is in business and finance. Your perspective of working for a dealership is different from the perspective of sound personal finance with the goal of saving one's hard earned money.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #14
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
I think six years can be appropriate in some circumstances. You need to know your finances and what works best for you. I got an interest rate around 2.5% and went with six year and no money down. I could have put money down but wanted to keep my money invested. FYI while I have a small cushion in typical savings, 99% of my savings goes to a stock account where I buy etfs and pure stocks as well. It makes well over 2.5%, so in my circumstance I preferred to keep my savings in tact and make a higher payment.

I won't be selling the vehicle. Yes, that could change - maybe I'll fall in love with the 6th gen, but it's literally like 99% I won't sell it so I could care less about equity and what not. I'm 38 years old and every car I've ever owned I have driven into the ground and then some. I.E. I keep cars until they are dead. The Camaro is more of a weekend/fun car, but I'm betting the same rule is going to apply.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote