Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Craters in paint

Hope I'm in the right place to post this...
I bought an aftermarket fiberglass hood from another member here. It was dark blue, I needed it black, so I took it to have it painted. Got the hood back Friday evening and it had "craters" in the center portion of the hood. They told me the would "buff out" and to bring it back to the shop. Well, I did some research and the "craters" aka "fisheyes" is a problem caused by a few things when the paint is put on. When the painter saw the defects in the paint (very noticable) he said that he thought it could be defects in the fiberglass. IT'S NOT. The hood was in good shape. Now that I know what this is, I'm going to take it back and let them know, that I know, and that it needs to be fixed. I've even printed out some information on the subject for them to read over.

My question is...has anyone ever had this happen to a new paintjob? And if so, what all was entailed to rectify the issue? I don't want them half a$$ing it, so I need to be prepared.

Thanks in advance!
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Sickness91Z28
Reaper Crew

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro SS
I've seen "fisheyes" in paint many times. Silicone contamination....meaning that it wasn't cleaned good enough with pre cleaner or silicone was in the air while painting the hood.

If there were a problem with the fiberglass....it would look wavy or uneven...that's where blocking comes in. Sounds like the painter just didn't want to admit that there was a problem with either cleaning the surface or contamination.

2010 Camaro SS
SLP TVS2300 Blower, Blower Cam, Lingenfelter Heads, Meth Injected, 5lbs of Boost@700 BHP
Pedders XA Coilovers
Sickness91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickness91Z28 View Post
I've seen "fisheyes" in paint many times. Silicone contamination....meaning that it wasn't cleaned good enough with pre cleaner or silicone was in the air while painting the hood.

If there were a problem with the fiberglass....it would look wavy or uneven...that's where blocking comes in. Sounds like the painter just didn't want to admit that there was a problem with either cleaning the surface or contamination.
Exactly what I thought! Thanks for your input.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote